Thorntons Guy

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

(mum writes)

I have allergies which mean I'm not able to eat chocolate or drink alcohol. Obviously this is something that me and my family have known about for years so I was rather nonplussed when my sister give me a HUGE box of chocolate liqueurs last Christmas. There was no way I could have eaten them and, as they were close to their eat by date, I assume they were something she had given to her and didn't want. I'm way too polite to have said anything but relations have been a little strained since. Although I always say to never look a gift horse in the mouth. Couldn't even let the dog have them because of the booze - I didn't want him getting drunk! He would have gladly had the lot but I'm sure the bin loved them.
Hi moth and Mum, not sure if you were joking about giving your dog chocolate but please dont as its very bad for them and can even kill them. Doggie choc buttons make a nice treat for them!

(mum writes)

I have allergies which mean I'm not able to eat chocolate or drink alcohol. Obviously this is something that me and my family have known about for years so I was rather nonplussed when my sister give me a HUGE box of chocolate liqueurs last Christmas. There was no way I could have eaten them and, as they were close to their eat by date, I assume they were something she had given to her and didn't want. I'm way too polite to have said anything but relations have been a little strained since. Although I always say to never look a gift horse in the mouth. Couldn't even let the dog have them because of the booze - I didn't want him getting drunk! He would have gladly had the lot but I'm sure the bin loved them.

Please don't give your dog chocolate Moth, with or without alcohol. it is poisonous for them. doggy choc is ok.

Hi moth and Mum, not sure if you were joking about giving your dog chocolate but please dont as its very bad for them and can even kill them. Doggie choc buttons make a nice treat for them!

Sorry! did not mean to duplicate. had not read this.

How dare that relative give you something so horrible they know you can't eat. It's just downright rude. I would have mentioned it to them!

(mum writes)

I have outlaws who go out of their way to select dreadful or inappropriate Xmas gifts for me....we're not related are we Moth Mum? Thinking about it Christmas in July sounds tempting as there's no obligation to visit the out-laws!

Jude xx

Christmas free and obligation free - it's the future ;) lol

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

my freinds sister gives her bath salts every year for christmas and she know she only has a shower ...x

I stopped giving presents to any one apart from my Parents and my children years ago when I ran out of money!!
My sister has 5 children and while I would spend £10.00 on each of them.
My 2 would get something from the pound shop from her. I wouldn't mind but I AM the one who is a single parent living on disability benefit while both she and her husband have VERY well paid jobs.
So I was very brave and told her that from now on we would each buy for our own children as I could no longer afford to buy for all of hers. It didn't go down very well, but she had no option but to get used to the idea.

I have no job so very little income yet I always do nice pressies like YC sets etc which are on "Easy Pay", as I so want people to have something nice for Christmas. Yet my Auntie will always turn up with a bagful of pound shop cr*p. I'd never say anything as it comes over ungrateful but sometimes I just wish instead of 10 tatty things she would just give us a £10 voucher that I could use for food or something.

Moth that's awful, i would have said something.

My ex's sister used to buy gifts that were so obviously thoughtless and very cheap, whilst accepting (& expecting) decent stuff from us. Every November she used to start saying that she couldn't pay the gas bill and didn't know how she was going to manage xmas etc etc so we always knew it was coming - it was a bit of a joke to us really! I would have been embarrassed to give the stuff she did - she should have said lets not do gifts. I appreciate some people don't have much money, but she did have some though not huge amounts. I say shop now in the sales for something greatly reduced and put it away til December.

(mum writes)

I have allergies which mean I'm not able to eat chocolate or drink alcohol. .

Wow that sucks big time. I have a similar allergy but my doctor said I could ONLY eat chocolate and drink alcohol and that it is good for my cholesterol levels. At least I'm sure I heard him say that!

Stuart

Latest posts

Back