The Yankee tart burning thingies.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Breeze

Registered Shopper
How are you supposed to get them out when they're done or you want to change them?
I was given a beautiful one for a Christmas present. Used it for the first time this week.
Tried to remove the tart,it was all cold, levering it out with just a teaspoon ( thank goodness didn't use a knife) & the whole thing just shattered in my hands. The upper shelf bit turned out to be just thin glass & it went mostly into my hands. I now have five fingers with lumps of flesh missing all taped up with plasters, there was blood everywhere.
Are they all like this?
It was a proper Yankee tart burner, like this
https://www.candlesdirect.com/yanke...rs/yankee-candle-pink-fade-crackle-wax-burner

They are a nightmare! Two schools of thought I think. 1. Put them in the freezer and after a few hours you can get them out with the tip of a knife. 2. Melt the wax a bit until it is squidgy then you can get it out with a spoon. I too have smashed one of this type with a knife (luckily not hitting myself!) and don't use them now. What a shame as yours was really pretty.

What you need is an electric one with a removable tart holder, then that bit alone can go in the freezer. I use no other type now. An example on that website from your link is the Astbury, I have that, but you do see glass crackle ones too, the designs come and go. Also, Glade does cheap one which I got in Wilko and Tesco currently have for £6.00 (don't know their delivery details though). Just google Glade electric wax melt burner or warmer.

By the way Woodwick do some nice ones. I got mine through Rhys Candles but don't know if they sell on their own website or the candlesdirect one.

:mysmilie_59:

Thank you Mazza. That Astbury one is pretty. I see they do other pottery ones too that might be a bit robust. The person who gave me the burner also gave me two big packs of night lights as well as some tarts.
I'm passing a factory shop tomorrow that has a big Yankee department so I'll see what they have in.

Ditto. Got a lovely one for my birthday but it didn't have a removable dish and it smashed on Tuesday night, gutted and it hasn't lasted a year! My old faithful is still going strong, removable dish from Rhys Candles, a name I got from here a few years ago.

I put mine in one of those silicone cake moulds - Poundland do nice thin ones. Prior to using these I was using old foil Mr Kipling apple pie cases.

How are you supposed to get them out when they're done or you want to change them?
I was given a beautiful one for a Christmas present. Used it for the first time this week.
Tried to remove the tart,it was all cold, levering it out with just a teaspoon ( thank goodness didn't use a knife) & the whole thing just shattered in my hands. The upper shelf bit turned out to be just thin glass & it went mostly into my hands. I now have five fingers with lumps of flesh missing all taped up with plasters, there was blood everywhere.
Are they all like this?
It was a proper Yankee tart burner, like this
https://www.candlesdirect.com/yanke...rs/yankee-candle-pink-fade-crackle-wax-burner
So sorry you hurt yourself with this. I do still have a couple of the style you had. I never have room to get in the freezer so I always light a tealight underneath and as soon as the bottom of the tart section gets warm I just push the solid wax with my finger so it slides out. Comes out in one piece and quick wipe of the tart burner reservoir and you're good to go with a new one. Make sure you extinguish the tealight once you realise the bottom of the tart is molten enough to pop out. I also have the electric tart warmer that Mazza pointed you in the direction of but I don't always have a socket for where I want to use and the length of flex can be restrictive.
https://www.candlesdirect.com/yankee-candle-tartan-flicker-wax-burner I bought this one after Christmas and the gold dish just lifts up and my solid melt (from a different brand) just came out when I turned upside down, I couldn't believe it was so easy. Hope you are able to select another that suits you so you can enjoy the rest of your wax.

This might sound a little unorthodox but, just before I'm going to blow the tealight out, I place some cotton wool pads into the liquid wax. The wax soaks up and leaves no residue in the burner at all. I remove the soaked pads with kitchen paper or while wearing rubber gloves. I can then change the fragrance for the next time. At the moment I don't use Yankee melts as I've found some which are much cheaper and which have a bigger throw of fragrance, but the method I've described works for Yankee melts too.

Thank you so much for all your helpful posts with advice on different solutions. I'm going to see what I can find tomorrow, if nothing I'll buy something online that's safer than the glass burner I had.

Latest posts

Back