The Same Over and Over again

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

i would personally be a bit careful in suggesting suppliers are not dealing with situp due to non payment

do you have any evidence of this?

I haven't suggested that it's necessarily due to non payment, but it's strange how they now have gardening at least 3 hours per day which is direct dispatch, and they would be working on a deal principal instead of buying them from a supplier (I imagine craft with Alan and Barry is the same). Gardening doesn't sell overly well (like craft), so it does beg the question WHY is it on so much? Chinese and Japanese wholesalers are well known for selling watches/ bags etc. and if you buy enough, you can have a brand engraved. Christin Lars? Earnshaw? maybe...

I also would imagine that multibuy has been their saviour too as I think many people do multi buy, and without it, they would be in a far worse situation.

PLUS if you notice the few amount of new buyers they have now than a few years ago. Fewer recommendations? They probably lose more buyers than they are gaining.

Last edited:
The space diamond Peter said they cannot buy anymore and last time we bringing the moissanite
Hmm is this the end of bid tv ? Not just 1 product but quiet a few items they said about this.
Oh well nice knowing you Peter and co, you shouldn't been naughty and took the mick with
People and went too far didn't you.

I haven't suggested that it's necessarily due to non payment, but it's strange how they now have gardening at least 3 hours per day which is direct dispatch, and they would be working on a deal principal instead of buying them from a supplier (I imagine craft with Alan and Barry is the same). Gardening doesn't sell overly well (like craft), so it does beg the question WHY is it on so much? Chinese and Japanese wholesalers are well known for selling watches/ bags etc. and if you buy enough, you can have a brand engraved. Christin Lars? Earnshaw? maybe...

Pretty good assessment of what's going on there at the moment I think. Those gardeners seem to pretty much live at the studios at the moment - just think how much more repetition of Bid's tat there'd be without them. As for the vouchers, I think they are banking on folk not being able to see their way through the impenetrable T's and C's to be bothered to claim - a risky tactic which would backfire spectacularly if everyone claimed all this front-loaded credit - they'd be shut within weeks I reckon.

I also would imagine that multibuy has been their saviour too as I think many people do multi buy, and without it, they would be in a far worse situation.

PLUS if you notice the few amount of new buyers they have now than a few years ago. Fewer recommendations? They probably lose more buyers than they are gaining.

Good assessment of what's going on there I think. Imagine how much repetition there'd be without the slabs of gardening - those gardeners seem to pretty much live at the studios at the moment.

Let's look at the evidence;

Their reputation is in tatters due to monumental ASA complaints
Presenters are tired and seem to have trouble telling the truth (still)
Their Gene8 products have the safety compliance of an exposed three pin plug in a kindergarten
The last shipping container from China sank (probably)
Their owners in Germany will most likely give them their P45 in the next few months
Tommy and Kate are having an affair
Rosa Benini dumped Peter Simon
Shopping telly in general is having a hard time in the latter 2000's from competition due to the internet et al; customers have far greater access to better deals out there than when Bid.tv first started....

Last edited:
When I first discovered bid, though the product range was pretty good, I never ever bought anything from them, having to bid, then if you got outbid, you'd have to phone in again, the price bumping up all the time, it didn't appeal to me at all, then along came the dropping format, and that had me hooked, so that's where it all started. They obviously decided that the drop format was what worked best and pretty much got rid of the traditional auction side of it. I think they may have done a lot better if they'd amalgamated everything into one, maybe two really good channels, with clear differences, instead of having four different channels all running side by side, selling the same stuff, having different rates of postage, different ways of ordering, different promos.....It's incoherent and downright confusing, and no wonder there in such a 2 and 8!

I moaned about the gardening and crafting to begin with, but like everyone is saying, it's obviously their only chance right now of staying afloat, trouble is, they are losing customers who are totally not interested in that sort of stuff. I shouldn't think they'll attract many new customers given all the negative views they've received over the past year or so. They need a miracle, Keep rubbing those worry angels, Peter, or someone to buy the company out, inject a lot of money into the business and completely turn it around. Make it one channel to start with! And give the product base and customer service department a complete overhaul! Sadly, and I mean sadly, that probably won't happen and more than likely they'll be an announcement before the end of the year. Yes, I admit if they do go, then I helped by making two complaints to the ASA, but I could not just sit back and watch a company blatantly trying to mislead its customers!

Go on do it! Go right down market, Bid, and offer adult 'toys' and equipment at night. Perhaps you could get Sally Jaxx into a tarty nurse outfit and Hodgson into his and then presenters could release 'videos' and USB sticks of solo efforts and sell special rare jewellry to adorn your favourite bodily parts.....

...not really!

Good assessment of what's going on there I think. Imagine how much repetition there'd be without the slabs of gardening - those gardeners seem to pretty much live at the studios at the moment.

I really wouldn't be surprised if in a month or so they just started doing gardening pre-records, and then one day switch on and they're gone.

Latest posts

Back