The Real Pie Company TSV 02/02/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought a double deep pie maker about 18 months ago. I am Coeliac - and I must say - I can bang out a real home made pie that not only looks great, but tastes lovely. All with 100% verified ingredients of my own choice. Let e'm cool, freeze e'm. 2 deep filled meat pies every 15 mins! Make your own, it's so easy!! :mysmilie_59:

I bought a double deep pie maker about 18 months ago. I am Coeliac - and I must say - I can bang out a real home made pie that not only looks great, but tastes lovely. All with 100% verified ingredients of my own choice. Let e'm cool, freeze e'm. 2 deep filled meat pies every 15 mins! Make your own, it's so easy!! :mysmilie_59:

Completely off the pie topic I'm afraid (don't really eat pastry or pies at all if I can help it - taste and health reasons!) but spotting you're a fellow coeliac, Dave, had to ask your wisdom on any good recommendations?!
Tesco currently has a coeliac in their frozen food department apparently, so there have been a number of recent successes and new products. For example I can totally recommend the 'Whole Creations spiced chicken pizza'. It's not tesco name but is made exclusively for them. Half a pizza with salad is perfect and I don't think you'd know it was gluten free... :)

the fruit pies just look cheap and nasty. the filling looks like those jars of gelatin,sugar coloured goo not handmade bespoke fruit pies

Thanks for the heads up about the pizza at Tesco's. My granddaughter just found out she is a Coeliac and finding it hard to find
edible food. I see Charlie got his favourite presenting spot. lol

Glad you lot are here ! I was tempted to send my brother a delivery for his birthday next week, as something 'different', but after reading the reviews and your comments on here........ I wont be buying which is a shame, as I know my bruv loves a good pie !

How about sending your brother an Ocado delivery?

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/getStaticContent.do?siteId=44000

I do this for some relatives as birthday pressies - you register your own address as the main account holder but can have lots of delivery addresses.

Then you just need to make sure you get the delivery for a time that they'll be in... Minimum order is £40 though.

I usually order them some goodies so they can stuff themselves silly on their big day.... It's like sending a hamper but you get to tailor the pressie exactly to the person. My recent delivery for an uncle was beer, pate, crackers and lots of his favourite fruitcake.

Some GF foods are great, some not so good. For example, I find being Coeliac, an expensive inconvenience! Bread that is 60% the size of a normal loaf cost £3.00 a pop. I make my own bread, the recipe is on the packet, and it is so easy. Some, if not all GF biscuits, are full of sugar, so beware if you enjoy a cuppa and bikky! For best results for GF recipes, I use WWW.dovesfarm.co.uk - very helpful, as well as the BBC web page food section and search for GF recipes.
Under the prescription service Coeliac's are allowed certain products. However my Doctor will NOT sign a script for anything GF I am entitled to.
Hope this helps? Any more info, send me a P.M. :mysmilie_59:

If I were buying a pie (which doesn't happen often), I would wander down the road to my local farm shop, and buy one of their home made ones. It would cost less than these ghastly creations, and I would know what was in it.

I buy our local butchers steak pies absolutely lovely and fresh and much cheaper than qvc

You've just cost me £24.99 :mysmilie_13:.

Reading your post made me trot over to Amazon to see the pie makers and I bought the Salter one 'cos of the reviews... now I'm planning 101 things to put in pies!

I live near the land of pies, Wigan. Pooles pies are in every supermarket and they`ve been making pies since the 1800`s. If I ever go into Wigan itself there is a stall in the local market hall which is situated right across from the local College and at lunchtime you see the engineering apprentices queuing up for a pie or pasty inside a buttered barm cake and they can even have mushy peas inside the barmcake too.
I rarely eat pies or anything with pastry, my hiatus hernia and acid reflux really really dislikes pastry, more`s the pity.

I usually make my own pies, but we also have a good farm shop near us, and their own fruit pies are packed with real chunks of fruit, not a mashed-up, over-sweetened paste like some. I hate biting into a fruit pie and finding no pieces of real fruit, just a load of that sticky goo that looks and tastes slimey. The sight of the meat pie picture that was posted on here made me feel ill - all those stringy, sinewy bits - yuk! If I bought from Q, that would have meant the end of any orders from me - how do they keep going if they sell pies like that, I can't imagine how they get repeat orders?

If I were buying a pie (which doesn't happen often), I would wander down the road to my local farm shop, and buy one of their home made ones. It would cost less than these ghastly creations, and I would know what was in it.

I have had a look on Amazon for a pie maker too. Think I'll order one later. Shop pies are very disappointing.

You've just cost me £24.99 :mysmilie_13:.

Reading your post made me trot over to Amazon to see the pie makers and I bought the Salter one 'cos of the reviews... now I'm planning 101 things to put in pies!

I got mine from Coopers of Stortford for less than that, about £18 quid delivered from memory. They are great. When I cook my pies, I usually prepare filling for 12 pies, and have a good session making the Gluten free pastry then freezing them when cool. It's worth the effort.:mysmilie_59:

I rarely eat pies or anything with pastry, my hiatus hernia and acid reflux really really dislikes pastry, more`s the pity.

Have you tried the Hairy Bikers/Dieters skinny pie recipe. They use packet pizza base instead of pastry. Hubby also has acid reflux and suffers after eating pastry. but he was fine with the pizza pastry. Was easy to use and he said it tasted fine. :mysmilie_5:

I might ask for a pie maker for bday/mothers day. You are all bad influences.
Personally my issue with these pies is that they use breast (i'd use thigh as more flavour) and brisket (you need more fat as I think their choice would be dry).
I may be wrong but tbh I could probably make similar for less money per pie.

I might ask for a pie maker for bday/mothers day. You are all bad influences.
Personally my issue with these pies is that they use breast (i'd use thigh as more flavour) and brisket (you need more fat as I think their choice would be dry).
I may be wrong but tbh I could probably make similar for less money per pie.

i agree with your choice of meat. breast looks nicer than thigh which goes grey when cooked but thigh is nicer in texture. brisket it very ropey and dry. the pies had varied greatly none of them great. no flavour. no meat and not much sauce. and quite small for the money. nothing like the ones on tv.

Latest posts

Back