The New Customer Banner

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
When QVC scroll their banner of new customer names along the bottom of the screen, do they ask customers first if they want their details made public like that? I can understand "John from London" isn't giving much away, but I recently saw a very unusual name from a small town and, if I knew that person, I'd now know they were a QVC customer. Some might not like that.

When QVC scroll their banner of new customer names along the bottom of the screen, do they ask customers first if they want their details made public like that? I can understand "John from London" isn't giving much away, but I recently saw a very unusual name from a small town and, if I knew that person, I'd now know they were a QVC customer. Some might not like that.

They don't show who doesn't shop with them anymore ha ha.

You would think it would wouldn't you?However,when you think of the unfair p&p on some purchases,the overselling techniques employed and fibs told data protection might also possibly be overlooked . I'm also sure some of those names come up time and again.

QVC must clearly be sharing information along the line. I recently bought that Amazon Fire tablet (which I really like!) via my mum on her QVC account, using HER email address. Yesterday I received an email directly from Amazon, on MY email account, asking if I would like to leave a review for it. I'm not sure where information has been shared but I guess QVC passed on customer address details and Amazon used that to match that to customers and ended up emailing me about it. In this case, I actually don't mind much as I like Amazon and shop there often. But it does concern me that QVC have never offered that opt out of sharing tick box that you usually see on things. Does anyone know what their official policy is on this? As mum said, she could have bought this for me for my birthday or something and it would have completely ruined the surprise.

QVC must clearly be sharing information along the line. I recently bought that Amazon Fire tablet (which I really like!) via my mum on her QVC account, using HER email address. Yesterday I received an email directly from Amazon, on MY email account, asking if I would like to leave a review for it. I'm not sure where information has been shared but I guess QVC passed on customer address details and Amazon used that to match that to customers and ended up emailing me about it. In this case, I actually don't mind much as I like Amazon and shop there often. But it does concern me that QVC have never offered that opt out of sharing tick box that you usually see on things. Does anyone know what their official policy is on this? As mum said, she could have bought this for me for my birthday or something and it would have completely ruined the surprise.

That is dreadful ! I never thought they could do it. I wonder if they pass on our telephone numbers as well?

I am annoyed enough with them filling my in box of my email id with all kind of their (QVC) offers.

That is dreadful ! I never thought they could do it. I wonder if they pass on our telephone numbers as well?

I am annoyed enough with them filling my in box of my email id with all kind of their (QVC) offers.

Seeing an Amazon make the Fire Tablet and you need to give them your e-mail address to setup an account on the Fire Tablet then I don't think it's really that bad.

Amazon are the past masters of customer data mining... nobody has refined it as much as they have.

If you have a Kindle Fire, and you are wanting to view your emails on it, you must have to set it up. If it matches the one on your Amazon account , Amazon will not hesitate to use that to make offers to you but I am sure if you go onto their website and onto your account (assuming you have one) you will be able to adjust your settings so that you don't get emailed stuff from them. You will still get tailored and targeted products shown to you when you log on, based on your browsing and purchasing behaviour).

I'm not sure if QVC have any need to pass on your email details, and I know I've heard presenters (particularly Debbie Flint and Catherine Huntley) boast that QVC never passes on your information to other parties. If you are in any doubt about what they have done, you can write to QVC and ask them who they have shared your contact details with. I think, under the Data Protection Act they are legally obliged to disclose whether they have shared your information with any third party company. If they don't have your consent it would be a breach... so you may also want to check with them, perhaps via Customer Services, what your current Data Protection Act contact preferences are.

A company is entitled to contact you in relation to your purchase with them, but for marketing to you they must have your consent to be contacted by the various different methods available (mail, phone, text, email etc).

Latest posts

Back