The dreaded high street

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I moved from Q back to the High Street a long time ago. I much prefer being able to touch items, smell perfumes, try on clothes and take half a dozen items in to a fitting room than add up extortinate postage costs to buy and return via Q, plus traipse to a post office to return things and wait god knows how long for a refund, oh and be disappointed time after time with poor quality goods. Every penny counts these days and at around a fiver an item p and p from Q it soon adds up to the cost of another pair of shoes, bottle of perfume, jumper or jar of face cream from a high street store. As for the 30day mbg well I think that old chestnut is also overused. Clothes I try before I buy, same with perfumes and skincare, I often come away with free samples to use at home, I can test then walk away and think about it plus I know if I buy a washing machine, TV or other electrical item most stores will replace it if its faulty when delivered and will be covered by a 12 month guarantee. My step daughter bought a tablet from Argos, it was faulty, she returned it, they didnt have another in stock and gave her a refund there and then. With Q you`d have to wait days to get your money back. If you buy something electrical from Q and it breaks down after the 30 days then you`ll probably have to contact the manufacturer unlike buying from PC World or such like.

One of the reasons I shop with the Q as much as I do is the customer service. I have bought electrical goods - the Panasonic hdd pvr a couple of years ago, a hdmi connection was installed as part of the purchase, but the machine caused problems with sky and, basically, cocked everything up - because of the MBG. The Q were excellent in all correspondence with them, in resolving the problem and even compensated me financially for my inconvenience and the problems caused, as well as an unquestioning full refund. I would choose the Q over the high street any day.

One of the reasons I shop with the Q as much as I do is the customer service. I have bought electrical goods - the Panasonic hdd pvr a couple of years ago, a hdmi connection was installed as part of the purchase, but the machine caused problems with sky and, basically, cocked everything up - because of the MBG. The Q were excellent in all correspondence with them, in resolving the problem and even compensated me financially for my inconvenience and the problems caused, as well as an unquestioning full refund. I would choose the Q over the high street any day.

As you're a huge QVC fan and a frequent contributor on this forum, have you considered paying £6 to Graham and becoming a VIP shopper on this site?

I have Flamenco what are the advantages?

You help Graham keep the site going - the running costs are enormous. You also get access to The Drop. Its a very small donation in the grand scheme of things.

And you can pay a bit more if you'd like too. £6.00 would hardly buy you 2 coffees nowadays, as Q are always telling us :)

And there's lots of fun down below , more relaxed and more subjects to talk about. Maybe see you and others there :)

Okay yes I did buy a few things online(not QVC your sale is crap!), but did hit the sales on Boxing Day.

Don't drive so actually walked into city centre and got the bus home. Chatted with friendly sales assistants, looked at things in real life, before buying.

SpaceNK could beat QVC Beauty discounts in to a pulp!!!

Diptyque fragrance £68 down to £10!
L'Artisan Parfumeur half price Chasing Butterflies(didn't buy that)
Three high end candles £20 for all of them!
Laura Mercier kits 70% off!!!!
Kevyn Aucoin half price
Eve Lom sets half price.

Other stores Elemis gift sets 25-30% off.

I agree about the QVC errr "sale", best thing I bought was a Fred Fekkai glossing hair set before the sale as it was half price in their normal clearance.
I echo what quite a few others say that Q really need to get better fashion options too! The clothing in their sale that I saw was embarassingly awful!

I invariably find my best buys on Ebay & occasionally Amazon. they have both become such a dominant force in the postal shopling arena, Q & the others must be finding it increasingly difficult to compete sometimes. Google searches have also unearthed some hidden gems of sites to buy from. High street shops & Q do offer bargains, but things aren't as easy for them as they were, (the revival of the Elemis TSV over recent weeks is testament to that).

Last edited:
I ventured onto the high street again yesterday. Oh brave or what. :tongue:

Philosophy Christmas ranges are all half price in stores that have a counter(mine is in Debenhams, some have them in large Boots), so two bath/shower/shampoo 480mls each at £7 Silent Night and Snow Angel. Matching Snow Angel body lotion 210mls £7. As I had £20 on my Debenhams Beauty card had only £5.50 to pay. I did buy a Hands of Hope hand cream as well.

I've also seen Candy Cane, Pumpkin Pie and Mimosa half price (either Harrods or Selfridges, I think) as well as the Candy Cane and Gingerbread Man body scrubs.

I am intrigued, what's so good about Philosophy as I've never tried it? I have dry sensitive skin - would I benefit from it?

I've just got a new duck feather duvet from Aldi's - working on the principle the German's know about duvets and it is much more reasonably priced than my Northern Nights one.

High street is not that bad, I went yesterday for first time in awhile. It wasnt manic, it was ok and I enjoyed looking around. Sometimes its more exciting actually going and buying them, having them in your hand and no dreaded P&P, I almost ask everyone whats the p&p on this!

I have tried Philosophy and it did not suit my skin at all, I have very sensitive and eczema prone skin,so still prefer the Liz Earle or Elemis range as I find I never have any problems with those,like the Body shop hemp range as well. Got some of that on line and saw same set in store that was £8 dearer in store, (what's that all about). Found the philosophy range made my skin feel very dry and irritated it, buy I appreciate everyone is different,

I went to see if I could get a pair of trainers in the sales and eventually found some I liked, unfortunately someone or something had taken the other one as after what seemed an endless time waiting for the assistant to find the missing one I left without any, so now back looking on the internet for some.

The only thing about philosophy I LOVE are their body scrubs....AMAZING

QVC TAKE NOTE JUST 3 BODY SCRUBS ON AUTO DELIVERY 4 TIMES A YEAR!!!!!

Pipa's just said she loves the high street and goes there to shop regularly, that of course she doesn't buy everything from QVC and that there are some great things out there on the high street. A nice refreshingly honest change to hear a presenter say that...

I cannot use Philosophy skin care, even Purity does not agree with me. But the bath/shower products are lovely.

Have to agree with you & R Dottie & LB Ave, I couldn't get on with the face stuff from Philosophy either. Purity/ face wash was ok but the face creams & treatments NOOOOO! Caused breakouts and allergic reactions on me. Body moisturisers I've found to be ok as I've got the recent TSV in Amazing Grace. If anyone's prone to allergic reactions on their face & considering using a philosophy product on it patch test on your jaw first is my advice x.

The Microdelivery face wash exfoliator thingy (am dizzy, can't think straight even!!) is the best scrub I have ever used, but then I like a rough scrubber!! :p

Purity is lovely too, as is Hope in a Jar. However, my skin can pretty much take anything (apart from moringa balm which gave me whiteheads) so I wouldn't like to say the range will be suitable for anyone.

Their bath stuff is lovely, their salt scrubs amazing and the body butter (that they don't seem to do anymore, have lotion instead) is divine! However, the fragrances.only really smell in the container :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back