The Down Memory Lane thread...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The Ken Paves thread in the forum triggered this - does anyone remember "squirrel tails" must have been around late 60's early 70's?

I loved mine, thought I looked bees knees!! :rock::giggle:

I'm imagining a Davy Crockett hat Fraz...no I don't think I remember these, or they didn't hit the streets of Nottm somehow! The easiest style I ever had was the Afro..loved it, my hair always took perms too well so no prob at all - wash it, shake it, run the fingers thru it, job done!

I'm imagining a Davy Crockett hat Fraz...

Love it! :mysmilie_483::mysmilie_483:

They were similar to the Ken Paves hair wraps, about a 10" wire of curly hair that looked very like a squirrels tail, hence the name. I use to pull my pony tail up high and wrap it round. Very chic!

Afro's were bliss. I couldn't afford a car in those days and went everywhere on my Honda motorbike, helmet off, a quick shake and flick with an Afro comb - perfect!

Those were days…

dunno about davy crockett, only thing i could think of was those tails on scooters somebody mentioned.

never had an afro but after years of ironing my hair on the ironing board, finally gave in and had a shaggy perm. definitely the easiest style i ever had and lasted for months.

Did anyone have penfriends via the IYS (International Youth Service??) company based in Finland? I had lots in the 70s and wrote regularly to about 5 of them. You paid a one off fee and they sent you a name and address by cross-referencing your age, interests and lanaguages. You could earn free extra penpals by getting friends to sign up. In addition your name and address would be sent to other members worldwide which meant that out of the blue you'd receive letters and could decide whether or not to reply. My French penpal Pascale came to visit when I was 14 and I went the following year and stayed with them over Christmas near the Pyrenees, went sking for the first time and I'm convinced it's the reason I got an A for my French O level. We lost touch gradually. I had a Swedish boy write to me called Hans who insisted in calling me Tude in his letters I think because I crossed my J and maybe they don't in Sweden, we wrote for about 18 months and even though his English was almost perfect I could never get across that my name didn't start with a T.

Jude xx

Did anyone have penfriends via the IYS (International Youth Service??) company based in Finland? I had lots in the 70s and wrote regularly to about 5 of them. You paid a one off fee and they sent you a name and address by cross-referencing your age, interests and lanaguages. You could earn free extra penpals by getting friends to sign up. In addition your name and address would be sent to other members worldwide which meant that out of the blue you'd receive letters and could decide whether or not to reply. My French penpal Pascale came to visit when I was 14 and I went the following year and stayed with them over Christmas near the Pyrenees, went sking for the first time and I'm convinced it's the reason I got an A for my French O level. We lost touch gradually. I had a Swedish boy write to me called Hans who insisted in calling me Tude in his letters I think because I crossed my J and maybe they don't in Sweden, we wrote for about 18 months and even though his English was almost perfect I could never get across that my name didn't start with a T.

Jude xx

I remember them Tude, We were twinned with a school in Canada. My Friiend was called Mark, quite a handsome young man. We wrote for about 6 months and then it fizzled out. I had quite a crush on him, aah young unrequited love.

Oh my, yes!! I used to love this! I had a boy in Italy, a boy in France and a girl in Gwent - it seemed so far away at the time, I live there now!! My dad used to work a lot in the Middle East. He got his mate's son in Bahrain to write to me. He used to tell me how beautiful I was (I was a very awkward, gawky child, he was such a charmer!) and how he would happily swap all his camels for me!!! At this point I got a bit scared and begged my dad to tell him I'd lost my arm and was unable to write anymore!!!! Ha ha.

Are there similar schemes for kids now? Letter writing skills, English skills, Geography, culture, diversity.....would do wonders for the youth of today :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately not in school, well not in the state sector anyway Capirossi. Everything. is on line now. Call me old fashioned but i used to get so excited waiting for and receiving my letter.

Love the story about the camels. lol

Unfortunately not in school, well not in the state sector anyway Capirossi. Everything. is on line now. Call me old fashioned but i used to get so excited waiting for and receiving my letter.

Love the story about the camels. lol

Same here, I used to ask for more penpals all the time! I used to send them little gifts I bought on holidays, ah, it was a fab experience! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

nope, we didn't do that but i always tell people who think it's weird having online friends that it's no different to having a penpal.

I'm afraid I didn't like having penpals because it was compulsory at my school if you were learning a language and treated as homework rather than an enjoyable hobby. The French and German teachers would regularly check up on us to make sure we were writing sensible, informative letters - we were much more interested in finding out what the song "Je t'aime" really meant!

Yep, I had a couple of penfriends - 1 in Germany and one in Finland. My town is twinned with a town in France and I went on the exchange scheme with that. Great fun - first experience of a lot of things!

Latest posts

Back