The Down Memory Lane thread...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Cabbage patch dolls, queued for hours to get one, and action man, and C & A shopping.
Going into town on a Saturday about fifteen with my friends, thought i was so grown
up

Bus conductors or clippies as we called them who went up and down the bus turning the little handle on their ticket machine and ringing the bell when you wanted to get off. They didn`t put up with any nonsense and would physically turf people off the bus.

Bus conductors or clippies as we called them who went up and down the bus turning the little handle on their ticket machine and ringing the bell when you wanted to get off. They didn`t put up with any nonsense and would physically turf people off the bus.

That made me laugh. A schoolfriend and I wanted to see the film "Phantom of the Opera" - the one with Herbert Lom - at the cinema but we weren't quite old enough, so we slapped on extra make-up and put on our most grown-up clothes and teetered off for the bus on our kitten-heeled sandals. When the clippie arrived we asked for the children's fare as we usually did on the way to school but he didn't believe us so we had to pay full price. When we arrived at the cinema, they weren't fooled by our attempts to look older and wouldn't let us in - so we lost out all round!

Those tube/vacuum contraptions in shops for whizzing money to the accounts staff, American tan tights from Martin Ford to replace the stockings and suspenders - oh what joy! - Lucky Bags, weekly wage packets, keeping a hanky up your knicker leg, stamp collecting, tadpoles in jars on the kitchen window sill, Round the Horne, The Navy Lark, Two-Way Family Favourites, Juke Box Jury, hiding behind the settee trying not to watch Quatermass.

Was it Dee Minor Barbs? Just came to me!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Patent shoes with buckles my mom made me wear!! buying "jackie " and posters for my wall...when older charlie perfume ,purple lycra leggings and boob tubes !! coffee walnut whips....

I remember saving up my money to join the Bay City Roller's fan club ( it was 50p!), and it took me ages! Smitty, and Charlie perfume, really sophisticated stuff, Pippa dolls and all her friends, collecting all the little leaves on the back of the packets, sticking them down and when you'd got the whole flower, you could send away for her friend Rosemary! Yes, Pippa Dee and Tupperware parties. Magazines, it started off with Jackie, I used to like collecting the three part posters, week one you'd get marc Bolan's legs, next week the midriff then finally, his head. I stuck Marc on my bedroom door, floppy "records" stuck to the front of mags, Oh Boy, Blue Jeans, My Guy, Patches....I used to read 'em all! Walnut whips, Cydrax...my fave fizzy drink.....Ooh those were the days!

Lordy..! I remember most if not all the things mentioned, specially Tupperware, I went to a few of those in me time! I was going to say Pippa Dee, but Dee Minor as mentioned is probably right..no kids in those days!

My late MIL was a clippie - when I saw an old pic of her I swore she'd taken my penny fare to school a time or two!

Who remembers Vicki Fashions..Italian pencil striped skirts and diamond pattern stockings!

Bunty and Judy comics were my weekly treat and the Christmas annuals too. I had to stand behind the front door waiting for my comics to arrive because we had a mongrel dog which took great delight in shredding Dad`s daily paper and my comics and my brother`s comics.
Bunty always had a cut out doll and outfit on the back of it and you had to stick it to a piece of cardboard but the paper was that cheap porous paper and it always fell to bits the minute you wet it with glue. No pritt sticks back then and I don`t think I ever managed to successfully stick one single doll to cardboard.

Fab and pink magazine , clackers, The Bay city rollers Tatan scarf round my wrist aged 10, sweets sold i jars and served in white paper bags. Taping the chart show on a Sunday at 6, pulling the choke out to start the car in the winter.
Big hair and Diana blouses in the eighties

Radio Luxemberg - teddy boys - BSA,Norton,Triumph motor bikes - snow lasting from Dec till March (1963 I think) - sneeky fags behing the bike shed - discovering boys and sex - Terrys Sparten chocs (all hard centres) job interviews where you decided if you wanted the job or not- Bobby Vee - Buddy Holly -Elvis - The Searchers - Gerry and the Pacemakers. I still have Blue Grass and used to like Youth Dew (very heavy) Banana Palm Toffee bars yummy! Rubbing red Smarties on my lips to look like lipstick- Dr Whites- . I'll be back
Just rembered the first record I ever bought was Paul Anka singing Diana - Vesta curry - sugar in blue bags

Last edited:
Ooh yes. sweet bottles with a little peach as the lid. loccitaine eat your heart out.

They were really cute, probably wouldnt cut it with a teenager today, not nearly cool enough. :happy: Peach.jpg

Winkle-pickers (had to mind you didn't poke someone's eye out if you were giving it some on the dance-floor :giggle:) and flares. Now, didn't they flap around on a windy day.......:wink:

I liked my flares..being wide at the hip they balanced me up somehow! And I don't know how high YOUR feet went Busy, but I wasn't in danger of taking anyone's eye out!

Avon have been going a loooooong time haven't they - I had Pretty Peach too! And some sort of perfume that featured a giraffe's head and neck as the lid - my God weren't we flash!!

I liked my flares..being wide at the hip they balanced me up somehow! And I don't know how high YOUR feet went Busy, but I wasn't in danger of taking anyone's eye out!

Avon have been going a loooooong time haven't they - I had Pretty Peach too! And some sort of perfume that featured a giraffe's head and neck as the lid - my God weren't we flash!!

No that high BM as I didn't want to split my difference......:smirk: It was just when we were all doing the Twist and I was on the way up giving a little kick as the one next to me was on the way down.....:giggle:

Topaz Cologne Topaz.jpg

Afghan coats, loon pants, cheesecloth blouses, white tights, Tweed perfume, Vesta scooters with foxes tails attached to the back, coffee bars (not Starbucks!), Dansette record players, Lulu about 4 stone heavier than she is now.....

When I was in my teens, it wasn't right to wear heels with trousers (I think because it was thought as being tarty lol). I've never been able to wear heels with trousers because of this lol.

Latest posts

Back