Stocking Fillers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just listening to the TSV show repeat and Dale has described the last 2 items as "stocking filler prices" for good quality pressies.

Both items are just over £10 plus £2.95 p&p, so getting on for £14.

So this has me thinking - how much do you spend on stocking fillers ? I like to buy several small novelty bits and bobs for a couple of pounds each, couldn't possibly afford several items at £14 each. Am I being mean ?

Linda xx

I look for exactly the same as you- little bits as extras . I would never spend over £10. That's part of a main present. I try to find little fun things and sometimes useful things. Aldi is good for the useful things like cheap earphones, mini torches etc.

No you're not being mean Eric,s Mum. To me a stocking filler is around a fiver or less(some bath or body stuff, fluffy slipper socks or a lipgloss etc). Spending hundreds of pounds on adults who neither need or want anything has got beyond a joke and in my family no one has to wait for xmas to get what they need in this day and age so we just exchange something that doesnt cost a lot but is thoughtful. Of course children and teens are spoilt and have lots to open. Friends no longer exchange gifts due to rising costs and to be honest its all a bit of a relief and eveyone is much less stressed and actually enjoys christmas day once it arrives. I just feel so many people resent spending hundreds of pounds on one day but feel sorry for those that feel pressured into it by family and friends. Of course if I had unlimited funds I could shop for England!

the average qvc stocking filler price inc p&p seems to be about £30 and it really winds me up. maybe because xmas winds me up full stop. i'm one of those who feels pressured to spend a fortune because i can't spend £5 on someone who has everything they could ever want and more and is spending £50 on me. it is always something i hate. the whole thing is totally ridiculous - many people don't need anything and the majority don't want what they get as is proved by the 3 hour wait at CS in M&S for the whole of january. all the hours spent fretting, choosing, wrapping only for it to end up back on sale. M&S in the new year reminds me of qvc waitlist - returns.

I've bowed out of xmas. All that money going to waste....winds me up! And people getting into debt - what's that all about? I know people who do this.

As already mentioned, adults buy what they want when they want these days, making it harder to know what to buy when it comes to xmas. We just buy for our two nieces and nephew and that's it. We will buy each other a token gift just to have something to open. I don't really like xmas as to me it's a religious festival. However, I do love the winter cosiness and food associated with it! I doubt I'll even put a tree up this year. Although the xmas tree is a pagan thing so I am saved from feeling like a hypocrite if I do, ha ha!!

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I've bowed out too. I send a handful of cards, literally, to people who I think would be offended not to hear from me. I buy my mum a present and then get a couple of things in that I could either give, if one of those embarrassing situations arise, or use myself of it doesnt. LE shower gels are good for that because if you get them from her web because they're already nicely wrapped.
No tree, no decorations, no mess, stress.

It seems that many have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas. The presents lark has got out of hand. There must be more ways of showing we care and appreciate those around us. :heart:

Call me a Grinch but I hate Christmas,it means nothing to me and although I buy my daughters presents,I have no desire myself to be opening a gift on xmas day.
Lynn:cool:

I feel the same as those of you who have no interest in christmas. I would love to just ignore the whole thing and would not miss it at all but we have a son at university and still make the effort for him to come home to a nice christmas and also my family would be a bit baffled and probably worry we were in terrible financial dire straits so its easier for now to carry on with it. But I always feel those who spend stupid amounts would probably have a better time with loved ones if they all had a lovely holiday in the summer together with the proceeds instead.

I'm even cutting down on the cards this year with the cost of the ruddy stamps!

As for pressies, I buy for OH and DD, Dad (tho he says he wants nothing from any of us this year) and my sister and brother-in-law...as of a couple of years ago the offspring buy between themselves and not for aunts and uncles - it gets daft as they all grow up, get partners and have kids! Just call me Scrooge!

Well I love Christmas!! I love it all. It's a lovely family time in my house.

BUT I don't think you have to spend loads if money on presents, let alone on "stocking fillers". I do buy things like their favourite sweets or chocolate, shower gels or such like but nothing that comes in at £15 or more.

Bah Humbug!! I love Christmas and all it entails - endless hours shopping, choosing, wrapping, not to mention eating, drinking, opening on the day. I can see how it can be a total bind and the expense nowadays is something else....but I still fall for it - every year!! Nearly done the 'gifting' (hehehe) and have bought my wrapping stuff, this year I'm going with silver tissue paper and royal blue organza. I don't buy for anyone I don't like or aren't related to and luckily I have the best family including a will-be-18 month old great niece who isn't going to know what hit her this year! I think my niece might kill me but still - bring it on.

Well, stocking fillers for me would add up to more than a tenner in total, but no one stocking filler in itself would be anywhere near a tenner! (I could see it if it was to be a surprise big-things-come-in-small-packages gift stuck in the stocking along with the tangerine and the nuts, but only under those circumstances!) No, for me you put in the nuts in their shells, then a tangerine, then some little fun joke presents (then later on, after the breakfast sherry and the mincemeat pies, you say 'Christ, you've forgotten your stocking, go on get it down... ').

I realise that Christmas is not a happy time for everyone. It can be a very lonely time for some, but I absolutely adore Christmas :clapping:
Although it is not the principal Christian Feast Day (Easter is), the word means 'Feast of Christ' and many of it's pagan overtones are there for a reason. When the early Christian leaders could not stamp out pagan beliefs and customs they absorbed them into the new Christian religion.
I like giving. We open our presents late Christmas Eve, I still make up stockings for the girls to 'find' Christmas morning and even ole grumpy boots enjoys it, though we have to go through his prepared Mr Scrooge speech every year. We play his game, nod wisely as if he has made an original statement then carry on regardless.
By 'it' I mean the whole season - Dec 1st (Advent) right up to 6th Jan (Epiphany).
I won't be stinted! :giggle:

I feel the same as those of you who have no interest in christmas. I would love to just ignore the whole thing and would not miss it at all but we have a son at university and still make the effort for him to come home to a nice christmas and also my family would be a bit baffled and probably worry we were in terrible financial dire straits so its easier for now to carry on with it. But I always feel those who spend stupid amounts would probably have a better time with loved ones if they all had a lovely holiday in the summer together with the proceeds instead.
Well I am lucky as I get to spend 12 weeks of the year in Florida,xmas day heaven to me is lying by the pool with a glass of champers,not bothered about turkey and all the trimmings.
Lynn

I still love Christmas even though the only family I have left is DD. We always fill a stocking for each other and she usually comes to me for Christmas but this year I've promised to stay with her, I just hope the dogs behave themselves or we'll be home sooner than expected.:giggle:

Its the likes of qvc that put it out that we all have to spend a fortune on presents. Its raising the bar all the time, then some of us feel a bit guilty and tight/skinny for not being able to afford to buy expensive presents.

What annoys me is that 'stocking fillers' were perfectly adequate main presents a few years ago. You could wrap up a few bath cubes or maybe a tin of talc and the recipient would be delighted.

But just because Q says you should give this, that or the other doesn't mean you have to surely.
Just because they name a sum of money doesn't mean it's the right sum of money!
I KNOW I am always right anyway lol
I take 99% of what Q presenters say with a pinch of salt. That means I accept the statement, "Hello, it's good to have your company."

Of course it is.

Everying that's said on QVC is all just sales pitch, lets face it. As far as I'm concerned it's not relevant what QVC suggest, nor how much anyone else spends on a gift. IMO people should spend whatever they're comfortable with, within their means.

Latest posts

Back