Sorry to say..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Lemonsqueezy

Nice 'n Easy...
but neither Marjolene or Julia are great adverts for pilates.
Marjolene looks wizened sinewy and knackered and Julia's arms upper body and chest look awful.
Yes they are both very supple and stretchy but both look older than they are.
Maybe a combination of weight loss dieting and pilates is not good.

Think I will just carry on with my swimming and dog walking!!!

margerine is a scrawny witch and a supercillious cow toboot. is she still flogging that hideous looking vege drink?

I 've seen far more of Julia tonight than I would ever want to, thanks to her clingy sports wear and some very very unflattering camera angles yeeuuuccchhh :ninja:

Marjolene looks wizened sinewy and knackered and Julia's arms upper body and chest look awful.

Very impressed with how supple they both are. I guess the trick is not to overdo the weight loss. At a certain age a little bit of weight is a bonus!

Totally agree. If thats what Pilates does to you count me out !!!

Pilates is used to promote healthy cores and backs. I have to say that promoting it as a form of exercise has given it a bad name. A few years ago I had pilates as part of physiotherapy and had to argue with my workplace that it was indeed a form of physio and NOT an exercise regime. I then went to HR who said it was up to my boss to decide if it was physio or just and exercise class. What's wrong with these people? This was never the case with the Alexander technique!!!

What made it worse was that I worked for a health promoting company. :doh: :headbang:

As for JR and MB neither are good examples of the true benefits of pilates.

Pilates is a great idea to keep fit and toned, as is most exercise, but it's been said on here before, that on an older woman, especially an older woman who has had to work at keeping their weight down can end up looking scrawny and sinewy. Sadly when we lose weight it isn't just the bits we want to target....ie pot belly, tops of arms and chunky thighs that go, it's the face, the neck, the lower arms as well. When they showed Julia in the clip from a year ago, she looked far more radiant, but like most dieters I can't imagine that she'd want to go back to not being able to fit into a pair of skinny jeans 'cause it gives you such a boost!

You can't win really...'cause when you're overweight you're automatically looking for clothes to disguise the podgy bits, but then you lose it and you've got a whole different set of problems..unless you're a youngster of course....and the scrawny areas of the body I've mentioned are a lot harder to hide, so as one would imagine the sight of a woman in her fifties dressed up for pilates is not the prettiest sight in the world!

Marjolein doesn't look a healthy weight at all and wearing an off one shoulder top isn't appropriate for TV. As for Julia, her gym attire was very carefully put together. Her legs are toned so she wore lycra leggings but she tried to give an illusion of a waist by wearing a black belt over the red top. When she was lying on the machine, her abdomen looked quite rounded so she's not toned in that area. There's nothing unusual or wrong in that at all because she's a women in her fifties who's given birth, but why does she try to give the impression she isn't.

our whole attitude to weight seemed to have shifted lately. I have been the same wieght and height since I was 18. I am 5ft4, well 3 and 1/2 actually and weigh 67 kilos and I am 60 next year. I have been in size 12/14 since I was 17/18, apart from when I was pregnant. It is only in the last couple of years I have been told that I am overweight and have to watch my intake by health officials (Dr's checkup, Astma clinic, and even when I had my flue jab 2 month agin they checked my weight calculated it in to BMI and again told me I am over weight!!) Never seemed yto bother them in the previous 40 years, just in the last 3.
It is really starting to get on my nerves now. Had actually tried to loose weight to get to 63 kilos so they stop telling me I am overweight, but it really is not as easy as all that. But the whole assessment of the B***** BMI thing is really getting on my nerves.
Sorry rant over, will be going to Dr's again for check up on Wed and no doubt be told that I am overweight:sad::doh::sweat:

PS think I might actually be shrinking soon as we loose height when we age (apparently?), that will make it even worse!

Last edited:
Star - do you think the doctors suddenly saying you are overweight may be down to financial incentives for them ???? Call me a cynic but......

I was always about 8 stone and 5 ft 3 in height, didn't smoke or drink, ate an average diet and went to yoga once a week. I'm now the same height but 11 stone so overweight by about a stone. This weight gain was caused by drugs for my cancer treatment - at one point, I put on 1.5 stone in a month :doh: but stabilised and have remained at that weight for the last 2 and a half years. I have regular checks at the hospital and within the restrictions of my illness, I feel great. My oncologist and surgeon say the most important thing is that I feel and look well and that my body will cope with the treatment. Good enough excuse for me !! :mysmilie_5:

I do look at the exercise gadgets but haven't enough room and know I wouldn't use them. Go out for a gentle walk or bike ride instead.

I was watching too last night. OMG what a pair (lol)..

Julia said that Marjolene's neck is that of a woman a lot younger..........................a pity she didn't look up a bit further to her deeply lined aged face. I had to turn it off after about 15 minutes, I couldn't do with Marjolene saying how wonderful Julia looked and how fantastically supple she was and then Julia repaying the compliment by saying how absolutely wonderful Marjolene looked for her age blah blah blah. Marjolene does NOT look good by any stretch of the imagination, she looks far older than she actually is.

margerine is a scrawny witch and a supercillious cow toboot. is she still flogging that hideous looking vege drink?

We can now buy it in a money saving double pack!! and to add salt(though we never would:drunk:) to the wound we can now get a fruit(berries) and chocolate version - unfortunately only in a single pack:dull: Whatever happened to eating good fruit and veg daily with some fat,protein and carbohydrates thrown in? Madness these drink supplements -someone out there is making big bucks!!

our whole attitude to weight seemed to have shifted lately. I have been the same wieght and height since I was 18. I am 5ft4, well 3 and 1/2 actually and weigh 67 kilos and I am 60 next year. I have been in size 12/14 since I was 17/18, apart from when I was pregnant. It is only in the last couple of years I have been told that I am overweight and have to watch my intake by health officials (Dr's checkup, Astma clinic, and even when I had my flue jab 2 month agin they checked my weight calculated it in to BMI and again told me I am over weight!!) Never seemed yto bother them in the previous 40 years, just in the last 3.
It is really starting to get on my nerves now. Had actually tried to loose weight to get to 63 kilos so they stop telling me I am overweight, but it really is not as easy as all that. But the whole assessment of the B***** BMI thing is really getting on my nerves.
Sorry rant over, will be going to Dr's again for check up on Wed and no doubt be told that I am overweight:sad::doh::sweat:

PS think I might actually be shrinking soon as we loose height when we age (apparently?), that will make it even worse!

in the absence of most people being fooled by religion these days, this is just the latest way that people are controlled. sorry if that sounds like some ridiculous "the aliens have landed and they look like lizards" type of conspiracy theory but i genuinely believe that governments use these tactics to divert the population away from some of the genuine sh*t that's happening in the world today.

until the credit crunch/recession really took hold and couldnt be brushed under the carpet any more we were all been held to ransom by the environmentalists. it was ALL OVER the news every single day. there were plans to tax us on the weight of our bins and we were all going to die if we didnt stop global warming. gone a bit quiet on that front now hasnt it?

a couple of years ago i went to see the doctor where the subject of alcohol came up. we went through the usual routine, she asked me how much i drank, i lied etc etc. but she ended up by asking if i was binge drinking. i asked her to define "binge drinking" to which she replied that for a male 3 pints of lager in one evening would be considered binge drinking. after i'd got up of the floor and stopped laughing i asked her if she thought that was reasonable and she just shrugged and said "thats the guideline". so next time you here a news report about how many people are binge drinking you can feel safe in the knowledge that any old granddad going to the local on a saturday night for his 3 pints of mild will be included in the stats. i though it was interesting that despite arriving at the conclusion that i was drinking too much there was no desire to understand why this might be the case, only for me to "correct" the behaviour.

one more thing - that 5 a day thing has no scientific basis WHATsoever. it was dreamt up by a marketing guru as a way of getting people to eat more fresh food. i'm not denying that eating fresh fruit and veg is good for you, im sure it is. but the five a day thing was plucked from the air because it sounds good and is easy to remember. and within a matter of months everyone is running around talking about 5 a day.

so bottom line Star234 dont let them browbeat you in losing weight if youre happy and feel healthy as you are. theyre just looking at a chart and trying to fit you into a box. tell them to get stuffed.

my daughter has had really bad period pain for years. none of the painkillers worked. she has to take the pill which has worked for her. but what annoyed me was when she said my daughter who is 17 5'6 large built and weighs 10 stone 8 is overweight.
she wears a size 12. i am not impressed as now she is always watching what she eats and weighs herself. this is what causes eating disorders.

i remember reading about the 5 a day being a farce.it must be i know people who dont eat fruit or veg that are healthy. oh well!::angry:

I agree Burlz, governments are very clever at deflecting attention away from delicate issues and bandying 'guidelines' around with no hard and cold scientific proof! There was a very interesting scientific study into the theory that we should drink 8 glasses of water per day too. OK, water is good for us, but most of us get enough liquid from the food and other liquids we consume. Look at all those poor people who died from over-consumption of water on some diet or other (Lighter Life was it?) No scientific proof that 8 glasses give any benefit.

As for weight, people should be at a weight that is not putting any extra pressure on their organs, allows them to do everyday things with ease and one that they are aesthetically pleased with. Short of this I don't see why we have to fit into a government chart.

There is a term for those that believe and follow everything they're told without question - sheeple :giggle:

Last edited:
I agree! I think this world has become size obsessed to the point of no return, what happened back in our parents/grandparents etc days. People would have been overweight yes but I bet they weren't battered about the head from the news/press/doctors etc all the time.

I almost came to blows with the nurse taking my BP one day, she kept banging out at me to lose wieght and join a slimming class (she recommended one she was doing). I've told her that I've been to a few and they only work for a while then it becomes a struggle and misery to keep at them. I said I intended to up my exercise and try and cook more and she almost fainted that I wasn't interested in paying a fiver a week for someone to weigh me and tell me what I should be eating! No offence to people who do use/like slimming classes but I find them a nightmare!

My problem like so many others is will power and comfort eating, lets face it the main reason most people are overweight is due to an underlying physcological (sp) problem of some kind, maybe if doctors tried to find that out and help from that area then food may no longer by the crutch that so many of us use!

(sorry rant over! :whew:) x

I have to agree - and confess that I did join WW online just recently but don't plan to be there long. I'm trying to shrink down to a size 16 - I'm sure most people would recoil in horror but I've never wanted to be skinny! Being pressured about my weight is what led to teenage misery and overeating in the first place, now I just want to learn how to not comfort eat and get on with my life.

The only times in my life where I have shrunk very quickly without even being on a diet were the ones where I was productive & happy and NOT worried about how I looked or what people thought and I think it's like that for most people that stress-eat or comfort-eat - but the current media pressure doesn't exactly encourage that, does it? When kids used to get picked on for being porky it was called bullying but now it seems it's just fair game.

I too was told 12mths ago by GP on having my BP checked that i was quote"border line obese"- iam and was at the time 5 4 and weight was 9stone8lb....up shot I CHALLENGED him...I've been a dietician 4 yrs and the GP just mumbled so I put in a complaint to the practice manager, didnt get far, but my point was that \I hoped to goodness he wasnt the same with young people as we all know how easily they get complexes...so yes I do think sometimes they are on a hidden agenda

Latest posts

Back