Somnox sleep robot! 402692

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
OMG! Another "just when you've seen it all " product with an eyewatering price £540 and a hefty £7.95 p&p. That's mental. I know they say "you can't put a price on a good night's sleep" but I personally don't see how cuddling a great big chunk of foam could possibly help. I get quite hot at night, so I know that contraption would be tossed over the side of the bed pretty darned quick! It's all very well having the thing playing soothing sounds but if you sleep with a loud snorer you'll not get the benefit.
A couple of years ago I splashed out £200 on Bose sleep buds primarily to mask the sound of oh's snoring when we were away on holiday as there's no spare room to escape to when you're away. They nestle into your ears really comfortably and play white noise, and other soothing sounds through an app and they work a flaming treat. I always have them beside the bed just in case he wakes me up with the snoring - he doesn't always snore, but when he does "oh boy!"
If you really struggle to get a good night's sleep and you don't want to take pills, I would recommend the Bose product..though the price is a bit ridiculous...but the price of this chunky looking contraption takes the biscuit...crazy!

Merry that’s not your OH you are hearing, it’s Mr L all the way over the Irish Sea. Hell that man could snore as an Olympic event and win gold. I just use the foam ones - used to be Boots 4 pack but during lockdown I bought a huge jar full on line which are too big so I cut them so in theory I’ve 2 big jars!

I tried the foam ones and I just cannot get them to stay in my ears for love nor money, they just ping out. I think it's the shape of the inside of my ears..they look normal but they don't hold wireless headphones well..I'm ok with apple ones but most other brands forget it and it's the same with foam earplugs. The bose ones have little hooks so they stay in place. I literally tried them in desperation 'cause they were far more than I wanted to pay but was soooo pleased that they worked for me...a lifesaver, especially on holiday! and he's happy too 'cause he was getting sick of the mini boxing glove on a stick I had before!

I'm sure that lack of sleep due to an overactive mind can be calmed without spending nearly £550, the demo I saw seemed to completely ignore other reasons for poor sleep, outside noise, inside noise =snoring. If I was gonna spend silly money like this...it would need to cover all bases and more!

I tried the foam ones and I just cannot get them to stay in my ears for love nor money, they just ping out. I think it's the shape of the inside of my ears..they look normal but they don't hold wireless headphones well..I'm ok with apple ones but most other brands forget it and it's the same with foam earplugs. The bose ones have little hooks so they stay in place. I literally tried them in desperation 'cause they were far more than I wanted to pay but was soooo pleased that they worked for me...a lifesaver, especially on holiday! and he's happy too 'cause he was getting sick of the mini boxing glove on a stick I had before!

I'm sure that lack of sleep due to an overactive mind can be calmed without spending nearly £550, the demo I saw seemed to completely ignore other reasons for poor sleep, outside noise, inside noise =snoring. If I was gonna spend silly money like this...it would need to cover all bases and more!
I sleep with three snoring dogs ! But I take a sleeping pill and all is quiet.

I saw the Bose ear buds a couple of weeks ago and wondered how effetive they were and it's good were. Too late for my Christmas list but it's my birthday next month...

My problem is more to do with drifting off to sleep. I've tried reading until I can't keep my eyes open but as soon as I turn out the light, I'm wide awake with lots of stuff racing through my mind. I find that playing a podcast distracts me from my thoughts and sends me off in no time but problem with a lot of them is they intermitently play a burst of raucous music, which wakes me up instantly. I've wondered if this is for those who are listening while driving, to stop them falling asleep at the wheel.

I saw the Bose ear buds a couple of weeks ago and wondered how effetive they were and it's good were. Too late for my Christmas list but it's my birthday next month...

My problem is more to do with drifting off to sleep. I've tried reading until I can't keep my eyes open but as soon as I turn out the light, I'm wide awake with lots of stuff racing through my mind. I find that playing a podcast distracts me from my thoughts and sends me off in no time but problem with a lot of them is they intermitently play a burst of raucous music, which wakes me up instantly. I've wondered if this is for those who are listening while driving, to stop them falling asleep at the wheel.
I play BBC Radio 4 with a timer set. It bores me to sleep. My partner sleeps in another room so the radio doesn’t bother him.

If someone wants to peep...

Good grief! If I were to cuddle that thing the only bit of me that went to sleep would be my arm, the rest of me would be too busy mentally abusing myself for spending £550 on a useless gadget when I could have spent it on alcohol which when drunk appropriately would work just as well 🍷 🥃 😴

When I go to bed, if at my house, I use Alexa to find a talking programme that I like eg radio 4 or 5, talk radio, LBC etc then tell it to set a sleep timer for an appropriate time such as 20 minutes, and tell her to switch the light off.

I am usually asleep long before the sleep timer ends.

I am great at drifting off to sleep especially if I'm watching something on tv, I'll normally spring awake just as the credits are rolling, and because I've effectively had a nap it's a total struggle to get back off again. If it's not a work night, it's not a massive problem, but when it is, the fact you're thinking so hard about getting back to sleep. I've occassionally put the sleepbuds in and played waves on the shore and it's pretty good. I've tried putting classic fm on timer but 'cause it's a commercial station you can almost guarantee that as soon as you start to drift off and noisy advert jolts you wide awake.
I'd say treat yourself to the Bose, even though I think they're expensive for what they are. You can't listen to your regular music or podcasts with them for instance...they do one job and they do it well..so for that they're money well spent. You can set them to run for as long as you like - even all night and you can set a gentle alarm on them for the morning.

If the Bose earbuds could also be used as ordinary wireless earbuds as well (and they could be if they chose to do it) then the £200 price tag may be justified.

Otherwise, I'm sure all the soothing sounds are available to download and play through any earbuds.

In fact, googling shows lots of free ones available, including from the Apple istore.

My wireless earbuds I've just bought cost £7.50 a pair, and are very comfortable.

I think the difference is is that they hold their charge for longer that makes them different...other wireless earbuds will last 6 hours on a single charge whilst these will give 10 hours which is crucial if you're going to have them on all night. They're designed so they'll never fall out of your ears because of the funny little clips (they tuck in on the inside of the ear) and they've got soft tips for comfort. Obvs some of these features could be incorporated into normal earbuds. I totally get that you can download white noise etc for free..but if you haven't got a pair of earphones that are comfortable enough/work all night/and stay put it's not worth it. If you're sleeping alone, it's a lot cheaper to do as you don't have to worry about disturbing anyone else...I'm happy with them as you can probably tell! I would agree that I'm sure that they could allow them to be used to listen to music..but hey!

I bought a Lectrofan noise machine from Amazon after discovering the sound of a fan going in the bedroom on a hot night was helping me stay asleep.

I got the mini version for £30 and it's the best £30 I think I've ever spent. It has a variety of white noise/fan type tones that blocks any noises from outside (though it does struggle with some of my OH's foundation-shaking snores). It's also a bluetooth speaker so does double-duty with music during the day. It's fab all year round but particularly when it's too cold to have my fan on.

The larger Lectrofans have more sounds and are mains operated but the mini fits in the palm of my hand so is great for travel. I haven't been away for a good while but the thought of a noisy hotel room without my Lectro puts me right off.

I also love my Kindle to help me fall asleep. It's an old one so I bought an illuminated cover for it when they came out. It switches off after five minutes when no buttons are pressed so no stress of falling asleep with the light on and costing electric while reading.

Thanks for all the hints and tips. I bought some Apple Air Pods Pro last month and the battery life is 24 hours. I'll see what's available on the app store and give those a try. I sometimes play LBC on a timer, and at a very low volume. It doesn't bother my partner but I can be just drifting off and the adverts or the news will come on at a ramped up volume and wake me.

I saw those Sleep Robots being promoted in an online article a while back and thought at the time they were the type of thing QVC would be peddling at some point.

Thanks for all the hints and tips. I bought some Apple Air Pods Pro last month and the battery life is 24 hours. I'll see what's available on the app store and give those a try. I sometimes play LBC on a timer, and at a very low volume. It doesn't bother my partner but I can be just drifting off and the adverts or the news will come on at a ramped up volume and wake me.

I saw those Sleep Robots being promoted in an online article a while back and thought at the time they were the type of thing QVC would be peddling at some point.

There are quite a few white/brown noise apps on the app store. Check them out and find one that works for you. The free trials are okay but you need to pay if you want an uninterrupted one - unless you can sleep through the little breaks before they go on a loop. I can't, but adverts on telly wake me, too.

If you find you can sleep with an app, have a look into the Lectrofans. Using Air Pods like this seems to be a bit of a waste of their battery life.

Latest posts

Back