Sift & Gift......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They harp on about the money back guarantee but then say separate out stuff you don’t want adding in a lip gloss or polish from another set or the box doesn’t actually say what’s in the box.
Can you imagine going round your friends and relatives do mind me asking for that something or other as it needs go back in a set to QVC o_O:LOL:

If I buy a gift I look for something I think the recipient will like. I wouldn’t buy a set of items and pick out the ones I want then give the remainder. Maybe it’s ok if you give bath/body products and keep skin care. However sift and gift always makes me think you are giving (not gifting) the stuff you don’t want, which I don’t think is really in the spirit of Christmas.

If I have presents wrapped "just in case" I have to unwrap them to remind myself what they are :D
Presents of products I don't like are only acceptable if you know another person likes the products imo.
I have rarely managed to split a TSV and end up with an acceptable gift...always a key component is missing.

If I have presents wrapped "just in case" I have to unwrap them to remind myself what they are :D
Presents of products I don't like are only acceptable if you know another person likes the products imo.
I have rarely managed to split a TSV and end up with an acceptable gift...always a key component is missing.
Yes if you knew someone liked for example some bath products that came with some skincare that’s fine but I would not give something away just because I didn’t like it. I did pass on a fairly expensive bottle of champagne which I won as I don’t really drink. However I didn’t pass it off as a birthday or Christmas gift and just told the recipient I had won it but it would be wasted on me.

No never! If a present looks random, to me it's obviously not been bought with that person in mind, and more than likely something of yours that you don't want. I'd hate to think that the recipient would open it and think "that's an odd present" or "why are they giving me this"? To me that's on par with the generic present, it might be wrapped in fancy packaging but it's obvious that its just been grabbed in the supermarket or part of a 3 for 2 deal somewhere. I'd certainly sift and offer to someone else, ie tell them it was in a pack but I doubt if I'll use it, could you make any use of it etc..and maybe I might pop something like that in a xmas stocking..but most certainly would not give random bits like that as a main present. I suppose if you had the time and inclination, you could save all these unwanted bits and prepare a lovely hamper for someone, but it would have to look as though some care and thought has gone into it!
I've just remember that I did "sift and gift" one of my Harry Slatkin candles...BUT I know my friend is crazy about candles and fancy glassware..bit worried the smell might not be to her taste though but to be fair that's always a chance anyway! I do know she's not a fan of vanilla, and the one I've given her doesn't have it in!

Last edited:
Making up a bespoke hamper illustrates spending time and effort on putting together items to appeal to the recipient. Q horrify me sometimes. I also get annoyed with TSVs in supersizes. It's too much and looks like you've been down the cash and carry, imo.

No never! If a present looks random, to me it's obviously not been bought with that person in mind, and more than likely something of yours that you don't want. I'd hate to think that the recipient would open it and think "that's an odd present" or "why are they giving me this"? To me that's on par with the generic present, it might be wrapped in fancy packaging but it's obvious that its just been grabbed in the supermarket or part of a 3 for 2 deal somewhere. I'd certainly sift and offer to someone else, ie tell them it was in a pack but I doubt if I'll use it, could you make any use of it etc..and maybe I might pop something like that in a xmas stocking..but most certainly would not give random bits like that as a main present. I suppose if you had the time and inclination, you could save all these unwanted bits and prepare a lovely hamper for someone, but it would have to look as though some care and thought has gone into it!
I've just remember that I did "sift and gift" one of my Harry Slatkin candles...BUT I know my friend is crazy about candles and fancy glassware..bit worried the smell might not be to her taste though but to be fair that's always a chance anyway! I do know she's not a fan of vanilla, and the one I've given her doesn't have it in!
My thoughts exactly ! In fact, I quite like personal hampers. When my lovely mum and dad were alive I would make one up for them every year, with all the 'bits' I knew they loved - even if dad did find a screwdriver in his !!

You really expect items to be individually packaged don’t you.

Exception is say a hair product which doesn’t come boxed usually but you know someone would love to try it but it’s too expensive for them eg WOW or those jars of hair treatments which can be well over 20 squid which someone on tight income wouldn’t spend on themselves but even in that case I’d be tempted to give a gift card.

Latest posts

Back