Selling Stuff on Ebay

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

There are several sets of fees.

1) Listing fee - this is the cost of your online 'advert' on their website. You pay it whether your item sells or not. The cost depends on what type of listing you have - auction or set price (Buy It Now), and the complexity of your ad - for example if you have lots of pictures it costs more than just a couple of photos. Putting a reserve on an auction (as you would at an auction house) is VERY expensive. It sounds complicated but you'll get the hang of it quickly, and a basic ad with just one photo and no special features will often be less than a quid.

2) Final Value Fees. This is what you pay IF the item sells. It is a percentage of the closing price, and varies according to the catagory - I think there are different rates for say books, versus jewellery. The higher the item price, the lower the percentage (usually).

3) Paypal fees - if your buyer uses this service it costs you to receive your payment - again a percentage of the closing price. If you then withdraw your funds to a UK bank acount, and the amount is less than £50, it'll cost you a further 25-50p per transaction. If the buyer sends a cheque or postal order, or uses bank transfer you are not liable for PP fees, but not many people do that these days as Ebay make you offer Paypal on most listings.

There are loads of online calculators that will help you work out the fees on a hypothetical example to let you get a feel.

The best thing is to BUY first - partly to get the hang of Ebay, and partly because many people won't buy from someone with low or zero FB.

It is much easier than it sounds, and as long as you make sure you recoup full postage and packing costs is worthwhile for the extra cash on stuff you'd otherwise throw out or give away. It is AMAZING what people will bid on! I have been doing it for nearly 8 years and it is great in a crisis (eg massive gas bill, car repairs to fund).

Last edited:
I think they get mardy about copying pics on there.Could be wrong but i'm sure i have heard about it.

Hi Snoopy,
Yes they do - I spent absolutely ages photographing stuff to sell and was very hacked off when some other seller just copied all my hard work to sell her items using ten of my pictures, without asking first. I was not best pleased and reported to ebay that another seller had made unauthorised use of my photos. The other seller had her items removed from sale.
If she had had the decency to ask if she could use my pictures it would have been different, but she didnt, and I just found my photos (easily distinguishable by the distinctive background) had been copied to her items for sale. We were both selling a selection of L'Occitane and Molton Brown at the time (I had visited the Bicester outlet stores of both shops for bargains - so, presumably had the other seller.)
Before contacting Ebay I did start by emailing the other seller about her use of my pictures for her items, but after getting no response decided to report her to ebay. Glad I did, and would do the same again. Cheeky blighter - I spent ages taking my pictures!
I can fully understand why some sellers add a trademark, name or symbol to their pictures to stop others from using them without consent.
Joy

There are several sets of fees.

1) Listing fee - this is the cost of your online 'advert' on their website. You pay it whether your item sells or not. The cost depends on what type of listing you have - auction or set price (Buy It Now), and the complexity of your ad - for example if you have lots of pictures it costs more than just a couple of photos. Putting a reserve on an auction (as you would at an auction house) is VERY expensive. It sounds complicated but you'll get the hang of it quickly, and a basic ad with just one photo and no special features will often be less than a quid.

2) Final Value Fees. This is what you pay IF the item sells. It is a percentage of the closing price, and varies according to the catagory - I think there are different rates for say books, versus jewellery. The higher the item price, the lower the percentage (usually).

3) Paypal fees - if your buyer uses this service it costs you to receive your payment - again a percentage of the closing price. If you then withdraw your funds to a UK bank acount, and the amount is less than £50, it'll cost you a further 25-50p per transaction. If the buyer sends a cheque or postal order, or uses bank transfer you are not liable for PP fees, but not many people do that these days as Ebay make you offer Paypal on most listings.

There are loads of online calculators that will help you work out the fees on a hypothetical example to let you get a feel.

The best thing is to BUY first - partly to get the hang of Ebay, and partly because many people won't buy from someone with low or zero FB.

It is much easier than it sounds, and as long as you make sure you recoup full postage and packing costs is worthwhile for the extra cash on stuff you'd otherwise throw out or give away. It is AMAZING what people will bid on! I have been doing it for nearly 8 years and it is great in a crisis (eg massive gas bill, car repairs to fund).

Thank you, I really really, really appreciate it.

I have been using Ebay to by for a couple of years and have decent rating, I've been a good buyer over the years :22:

My other question was about PayPal. I have a number of things to sell, just stuff I've got from over the years - unworn trainers, clothes to name a few but wouldn't be a power seller by no means.

I've looked at Paypal (which I use to buy stuff with) and it seems the charges are quite signifcant for what I want to use it for an I get really put off.

Is it simpler than I think??

As an example,

I just sold a pair of aquamarine earrings for circa £85 quid.

I added £5 to the listing for Special Delivery postage - ie total circa £90.

The amount I was able to withdraw from my PP account was £87 - ie £3 levied in Paypal fees.

The listing itself was about £2, I think (I started the item at £25 and there were lots of piccies). If I had started lower (people like £1 starts but it is a bit dodgy on anything valuable) and had less photos it would have been cheaper.

The FVF hasn't been paid yet - Ebay bill you monthly. It'll be about £5.50.

Total fees circa a tenner - ie 10% of the sale price, all in.

Thanks, Elise, for the detailed example. Just the ticket! I've been thinking about ebay for selling a few unwanted jewellery pieces. Maybe one day I'll actually do it!

For anybody who isn't a VIP member, if you become one you will be able to access the members' section. As well as the Ebay thread in there which Fraggle mentioned earlier, there is also a separate section called "Buy, Sell, Swap" in which excess items from TSVs (for example) could be sold to other forum members without paying listing fees to Ebay. Most people just name the price inc p&p, a PM is sent to say you want to buy it and then pay by paypal or cheque.

Sounds interesting, looks like I may have to become a VIP member.

Hi, what an interesting thread this is :) ........ Ive been buying on ebay for about 7/8 years & selling bits & pieces for the past few years..... Selling is lots of fun, but you do have to be aware of some things...... You will need an Upgraded Paypal Account, which will enable you to accept payments by Paypal...... As a seller, you have to offer Paypal as a payment option, even if the buyer does not pay by that method, its a condition of ebay that it has to be offered...... the majority of buyers would probably pay by Paypal instantly..... Make sure you send all Paypal bought items by Recorded Delivery, as there are many buyers who will say they haven`t received the item & if you haven`t got proof of delivery, ie: a signature, proof of postage is NOT good enough) Paypal will just take the money out of your account...... Ive just recently sold 2 Store Vouchers, that I got for my Birthday in November.... I couldn`t use them, as Oasis isn`t really my kind of thing (too young I think, lol)...... I put them on for a `Buy it Now` for £14.95 (they were for £20) & they sold within 1 1/2 hours...... Also, ive always had a better selling result when using the `Buy it Now` & `Make an Offer` option, as opposed to the proper Auction Style selling......
My fees were:
Insertion Fee: 40p
Final Value Fee: £1.48
Paypal Fee: 71p
Paypal Transfer Fee to Bank Account: 25p
Total of £2.84

If you need any other advice about ebay, let me know :1:

Being a VIP Member sounds great..... think I may join very soon :1:

It would be lovely to welcome you if you choose to do so. The Drop also contains the social section of the forum so you can get to know the crazy nutjobs who post down there, it's a whole new side to ST.com :)

:eek::eek: Who on earth do you mean Fraggs? :D

I was wondering exactly the same. Having said that, a rather 'blunt' kaftan/flea-flat wearing/battenburg eater springs to mind but her name escapes me at the moment!! :3:

Would that be the one who has delusions about a certain pop-star? She's a nutjob for sure, speaking 'blunty'.

Thanks for all your comments. Made my mind up not to bother!!

Hi Topaz,

I have similar problems with ebay, I don't have a clue what to do. But when I have had some odd bits that would do someone a turn, but are a bit too good to give away, I sometimes put a card in the local newsagent. Sometimes supermarkets have a community board that you can put a for sale card on. You may not always get a response, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

Would that be the one who has delusions about a certain pop-star? She's a nutjob for sure, speaking 'blunty'.

Yes, that's the one. She has the most appalling fashion sense but her heart's in the right place......about the only thing that is though as everything else has travelled so far south it's way out in the English Channel! :54:

Latest posts

Back