Ringed pearl rip-off?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mikimoto ONLY use the top 3% and their pearls are beautiful and blemish free.

Mikimoto are Akoya pearls and have around 5% nacre around a shell bead. Akoya are probabvly the ultimate example of marketing over content. Having said that I agree about the ring pearls I find them completely unattractive. To bve fair Ralph probably uses them to meet QVC's demand for large quantities. I do buy some of Ralphs more unique designs.

For truly beautiful CFW pearls try pearlparadise Jeremy Sheperd truly knows his pearls and I have bought many from him from large (huge) natural baroque strands to exotic metallics and beautiful blue grey baroque akoyas at prices that put Honora to shame. You can also discuss pearls and what you should look for here http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/index.php

Hi debunker can you tell me the situation re import taxes when buying from abroad ? I have often seen good deals from the US but have never taken the plunge because of this

I am a pearl lover and Pearl Paradise have a lovely selection. I also have several Honora pieces including some ring pearls which I feel have their place at the right price.

I did pay import taxes at the post office for some of my pieces - not all. I think it was around £20 -£30. I can't swear to that as the last piece was over a year ago but I did feel that even with import axes they were still very much worth the money.

What they will do is forward you photos taken in daylight and on a member of staff of the string you like so you get a really good idea of exactly what you are purchsing. I remember when I bought a beautiful strand of huge natural 'purple ' cfw baroques was too long and they shortened it for me and turned the two they removed into earrings. I can personally recommend them but of course do you own research you don't know me from Adam. Read the pearl guide forums and ask questions there.

The exotics are particularly spectacular.

Yes some of honora's simple solitaire rings are lovely.

Pearl paradise are lovely but of course top end of the range, expensive and therefore the complete opposite of Honora. I am a bit of a pearl nut and hate ringed pearls. The pearl guide forum is worth a visit to learn about pearls
I found this site the other day who does high grade pearls all handmade by the designer -but at a reasonable price - I've been very pleased with them Kyrenedesigns.com

Does anyone know how sturdy pearl rings are? I'm not even sure how they secure the pearls in them but they always look like they'll break right off. I like to wear rings round the clock so need to know how durable they are.:call:

Does anyone know how sturdy pearl rings are? I'm not even sure how they secure the pearls in them but they always look like they'll break right off. I like to wear rings round the clock so need to know how durable they are.:call:

They are not an everyday all day item, they are secured by a screw and probably a bit of glue. As with necklaces, don't get perfumes on them or deodorant. Really, they are a sitting pretty item of jewellery as a ring.

I've used Pearls Only successfully, nice and good service.

I love Honora, love keishi and baroques and rondels even but I can't get on board with ring pearls, the dye doesn't take evenly and you get white spots in the ridges. 2 TSVs in a row have been ring pearls now, not very impressive but my bank balance liked it!

Pearls are quite a complicated subject. I use this simple guide - hope it helps pearl lovers

AAA is the top - very high lustre, no blemish can clearly see face in the pearl. AA is a good pearl (but not as expensive as AAA) - still high lustre, a knotted necklace would look good and uniform - vritually no blemishes. A= slightly blemished with a dulller lustre. B is more chalky looking. This is generally for symmetrical shaped pearls like round, rice and near round.

Keishi are different they are reborn pearls and have high lustre. Larger keishi cost more. Baroques are generally less expensive overall - but again lustre and size play a part in their price. Any ringed pearl is a B or off the scale - of course they are attractive in their own right.

Natural colours in freshwater pearls are white cream peach pink and blue-pink. Any other colour is dyed.

Latest posts

Back