Remember Marverine ???

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
the presenter who continually rolled her eyes and had an exaggerated way of speaking, and then moved on to better things ?

Well, I saw her name in the paper today, and thought "I know her", apparently she has been on the Twatter rampage because a crew and cast photograph of The Line of Duty did not show any black or brown faces, and along with many others thought how disgusting this was !! I wont bore you with all the details of the BBC's response, but she wouldn't think much to a similar family photo taken a few weeks ago, as there wasn't much diversity going on there either !!

I saw that too. Apparently Line of Duty is filmed in Belfast where the proportion of the population who are BAME is relatively low. Also as the BBC stated diversity doesn’t just relate to skin colour.

Err there were several characters who were BAME! Two of the officers and one staff member were Asian as was the PCC. The Dep was a woman too :mysmilie_47:

Last edited:
Err there were several characters who were BAME! Two of the officers and one staff member were Asian as was the PCC. The Dep was a woman too :mysmilie_47:
I think the photo was actually the people behind the scenes and didn’t include the cast.

Trust Margerine (yes I know what I mean) I saw a group of tv personalities who were BAME, I didn’t sign up for Twatter to rant there are no Caucasian people in it, Marv should realise that in life there may, just may be a time were a picture is taken that doesn’t contain people of colour, it’s not racist, it’s just that it doesn’t contain any people of colour. I remember Brian True May, the producer of Midsomer Murders saying when questioned why there are no people of colour in his show (there has been for the past few years since he was forced to resign and a new producer took over) he stated that it was based on “the last bastion of the British countryside” he wasn’t being racist, just honest about places he knew, so well done Marv for stirring up racism, where there is none intended.

I probably come across as racist when I say this, but shouldn't it be about the best person for the job, regardless of skin colour?

I can't believe after struggling against sexism all my life and working hard behind the scenes to try to see women make headway against it that I still haven't seen an end to it. I don't count the way the beeb has been shamed into putting women - some of whom are quite frankly not up to the job - into positions recently held by men. it seems too much like a politically correct apology. Is this what Margerine is trying to achieve? Fame via shame?

I probably come across as racist when I say this, but shouldn't it be about the best person for the job, regardless of skin colour?

I can't believe after struggling against sexism all my life and working hard behind the scenes to try to see women make headway against it that I still haven't seen an end to it. I don't count the way the beeb has been shamed into putting women - some of whom are quite frankly not up to the job - into positions recently held by men. it seems too much like a politically correct apology. Is this what Margerine is trying to achieve? Fame via shame?

No, it’s not racist at all.

Oh dear, now some years back if filming in Belfast you would have been asked if you were a Catholic or a Prod? Made no different what ethic you are even Chinese people stopped and asked that!:mysmilie_17:

Sorry having trouble highlighting certain sentences.

You are so right in that some women are not up to the job. We have evidence of this on QVC, but the main channels have gone way too far the other way, in promoting women to every job available !!! Nearly all sports presenters, news readers, Question Time, Strictly, outside reporting journalists, to name a few are now all spearheaded by women, to the point that its boring to hear yet another squeaky and shrill voice.

Honestly ? I really want to hear the deep timbre of a man's voice when particularly bad news is broadcast, I want to hear men reporting on sport again, and yes the best person regardless of colour should be hired for their skills, and not shoe horned in for the sake of political correctness and keeping the Twitterati happy.

Margarine should be happy that its been obvious a BAME has been employed on Homes Under the Hammer (what does an ex footballer and pundit know about property then - apart from a script ??), the Great British Menu, Garden Rescue, Countryfile etc etc, and she clearly does not have an issue with advertisers promoting ads showing mixed race couples which apparently are the 'norm' in the land of advertising.

My son is a Police Sgt and he was asked to partner a new female officer when he was working what`s called rapid response. Rapid response are the people who are sent to respond to 999 calls. They could turn up and be faced with a gunman, a murderer, a rape victim, a child molestation or whatever, they never know what they`re exactly going to find.
My son has worked with many other officers in his almost 20 years service and of both genders and he admires a good officer whatever their race,colour, creed, or gender. His partner is a female Doctor and he knows how hard she`s had to work to get where she is and just how good she is at her job so he`s fully aware of the problems women have faced in the workplace.
One day he had to respond to a 999 call where a neighbour hadn`t seen the man next door for days and was worried. They arrived at the house and banged on the door, no response and so he lifted the letterbox to shout through and straight away he could smell something wasn`t right. He had to break in through the door. In a nutshell the guy was dead and obviously had been for a while. Where was my son`s working partner?She was sitting in the car and refusing to go into the house. Now fair enough a dead body wasn`t going to harm my son but he and his partner were supposed to work as a team, watch each others backs and deal with whatever turned up together. A murderer could have been in that house or whatever
Once back at the station my son went to write up his report and also to speak to his boss. He told his boss what had happened, not in a nasty way but in a way to query whether his new partner was up to the job. His boss shrugged his shoulders, shook his head, agreed more or less that she wasn`t but said she was Asian and female and according to the powers that be, they had to show that a certain percentage of their force fitted such criteria come what may.
My son when he told me this story said outright that if she`d been white female or white male she`d have been in front of the boss straight away and disciplined.

My son is a Police Sgt and he was asked to partner a new female officer when he was working what`s called rapid response. Rapid response are the people who are sent to respond to 999 calls. They could turn up and be faced with a gunman, a murderer, a rape victim, a child molestation or whatever, they never know what they`re exactly going to find.
My son has worked with many other officers in his almost 20 years service and of both genders and he admires a good officer whatever their race,colour, creed, or gender. His partner is a female Doctor and he knows how hard she`s had to work to get where she is and just how good she is at her job so he`s fully aware of the problems women have faced in the workplace.
One day he had to respond to a 999 call where a neighbour hadn`t seen the man next door for days and was worried. They arrived at the house and banged on the door, no response and so he lifted the letterbox to shout through and straight away he could smell something wasn`t right. He had to break in through the door. In a nutshell the guy was dead and obviously had been for a while. Where was my son`s working partner?She was sitting in the car and refusing to go into the house. Now fair enough a dead body wasn`t going to harm my son but he and his partner were supposed to work as a team, watch each others backs and deal with whatever turned up together. A murderer could have been in that house or whatever
Once back at the station my son went to write up his report and also to speak to his boss. He told his boss what had happened, not in a nasty way but in a way to query whether his new partner was up to the job. His boss shrugged his shoulders, shook his head, agreed more or less that she wasn`t but said she was Asian and female and according to the powers that be, they had to show that a certain percentage of their force fitted such criteria come what may.
My son when he told me this story said outright that if she`d been white female or white male she`d have been in front of the boss straight away and disciplined.

That’s right V, it’s called “positive discrimination” were, no matter how good or bad they are, they by law, have to take a certain percentage of ethnic minorities, trouble is though with the Police, your colleague has to be good at their job or it could be the difference between their life and your own living to see another day so regardless of race, colour or creed I think the Police is one place positive discrimination should not be endorsed, it should go by competence, not colour. The world has gone mad!

Sadly Vienna, your story just about sums it up. Thankfully your son faced nothing more sinister than a deceased body when entering the premises on his own.

I get really really mad when organisations such as The Black Police Officers Association are allowed. Imagine the uproar if something was called The White .....

Surely it should just be The Police Officers Association, no colour no gender.

This is only one example of many.

Within the next 5 years a straight white male will be an ethnic minority- do you think they will get all the positive discrimination freebies? No way.

Why can’t people just be people. There are many “minority” jobs where they have not got it on merit but to fill the obligatory quotas.

That’s right V, it’s called “positive discrimination” were, no matter how good or bad they are, they by law, have to take a certain percentage of ethnic minorities, trouble is though with the Police, your colleague has to be good at their job or it could be the difference between their life and your own living to see another day so regardless of race, colour or creed I think the Police is one place positive discrimination should not be endorsed, it should go by competence, not colour. The world has gone mad!

What V's story shows is appauling. Makes me sad & jaded.

Marg should just fecking lay off without fully understanding the reality. I live in a Cotswold town & there are few Bames. Therefore any show made about my town would be unrepresentative & untrue to life if they brought a load of Bame actors in.

Can't help but think she is using twatter for 'recognition'. Birmingham is extremely cosmopolitan, with a large West Indies community. It's not like that elsewhere.
Stop this Marg, it's balls.

I get really really mad when organisations such as The Black Police Officers Association are allowed. Imagine the uproar if something was called The White .....

Within the next 5 years a straight white male will be an ethnic minority- do you think they will get all the positive discrimination freebies? No way.

Why can’t people just be people. There are many “minority” jobs where they have not got it on merit but to fill the obligatory quotas.

Exactly!

Isn't there some kind of black music awards, too? I can't remember the name of it but it annoys the hell out of me as it's obviously racist. Or at least it is to me as I feel racism works in every way, not just whites being racist against blacks.

I'm rural and never saw a black person until I was 8 and in hospital. My doctor was a huge, very dark-skinned black man with the largest, whitest teeth and boomiest deep voice I'd ever seen or heard - I was absolutely terrified! I wasn't being racist, just a scared child, which this man understood as he did his best to reassure me. When I left the hospital I left behind an amazing man who had become a friend.

That's maybe why I was horrified when the first coloured couple moved into our village and some boys on the school bus threw a lit box of matches at their children who were walking on the road as we passed. I was furious and got them expelled with the fuss I made. I was told later that the boys had heard their parents discussing the couple in a racist way. I'd never heard of racism until then and didn't actually know what it was until a lot later.

A few years later I started a weekend job and came across sexism. I was 12, but being tall, I looked older. I was groped, talked down to, had disgusting comments and suggestions made to me every day I worked. I told my mum and was told to ignore them and get on with it.

About that time my best friend put a lot of weight on. Then I became aware of "fatism" and that was probably the worst. Her life was made absolutely miserable at school. We'd catch a bus to the local town to go where total strangers would approach her and call her awful names. I met up with her at a re-union a few years ago and it seems people never change. The men there still called her by her old horrible nicknames. She's still overweight but had lost quite a bit, but the fatism still raised it's head. The next time I go to a re-union it will be a female-only re-union as I have no wish to be in the same room as these men that should know better (no co-incidence that this group of men were the same ones that threw the matches).

Unfortunately, "isms" still exist. My friend was so dignified when handling those men when all I wanted to do was cry for her and slap them. She could teach Marve (and many others) how to handle being on the sharp end of an ism. And moaning about something that doesn't really concern you and that you've not managed to grasp the truth of like Marve did isn't it.

Ah, Donna. That's awful. Does it still go on? I had to tick a box saying what religion I was when I had my first civil service job. I couldn't understand why I was being asked that - I still can't. Throughout history so many people have gone to war for religion. It's awful that we still haven't learned our lesson as human beings. What really upsets me, though, is most of us can live together peacefully - until someone starts stirring the **** and banging a drum. Bit like Marve is on a small scale. Normal people get on with trying to right wrongs quietly, not twatter about it making an idiot of yourself. Save the hysterical outrage for something else, Marve. Maybe consumer rights seeing as you did your fair share of mis-selling?

Not to mention the star of season 1 was Lenny James, and season 4 Thandie Newton. And I read an interview where Stephen Graham said he was mixed race as his grandfather came from Jamaica, so that is the star of season 5. She doesn't know if any of the apparently white crew are mixed race from that photo. Having said that, I am all in favour of colour blind casting which is quite routine in London theatres now. But the other day I heard a radio phone in where a black woman made the point most emphatically that society was inherently racist because white people all benefit from "white privilege". I thought well tell that to someone living on benefits on or below the poverty line. The host and another caller tried to argue and mentioned classism, but she was unshakeable in her view.

Whilst working in the NHS I was asked to create a poster informing the staff that there was to be a meeting of the Black Nurses Association. I remember asking at the time whether there was a White Nurses Association, and the response was "are you kidding me ?". So I took that to mean there wasn't.

My friend at Secondary School was of mixed race and on a school photo I was asked by a relative who the black girl was. My answer,that is not a black girl that is Lucy,(not her real name) . Sadly the only person with a race problem was my friend herself.

When I worked for the city council I was involved in setting up Polish family groups, Somali family groups, Chinese groups and others. Only people of particular ethnicities were allowed into the groups to "nurture and protect their language and culture". Then on the other hand the council was screeching equality for all from the rooftops. Why not just have family groups that everyone can attend to assist integration and help people with language and communication?

CC

Latest posts

Back