Record gold price

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hmmmmm, this is coincidental to read this thread today. I had a couple of rings that I thought of selling. I had them valued 9 years ago and one was (for insurance purposes) £1,000 the other was £1,500.

Today I took them to a small independent who bought second hand jewellery. I didn't for one minute expect to get the ins. value - one never does, but I would have been happy with at least half.

So much for gold price. I was offered £100 for the two ! with the advice to sell them privately. They aren't an old fashioned style, but I did inherit them many years ago and I don't have children to pass them onto, so it looks like the nieces are going to get them.
Did you try any other jewellers? £100 seems very low, and perhaps this jeweller's stock isn't moving at the moment so he/she thought they'd try their luck.

Well, this was 5 years ago (date of post), and no, I didnt, I figured that I would get the same response elsewhere. I still have a fair bit of gold, like Stratto, bought in the good old days from Q, its 9ct, and the American 14ct - much of it paid below £150. Who remembers when the presenters used to slowly curl the chains into their palm to show how substantial they were. , and we all knew the names of the different chains.

Well, this was 5 years ago (date of post), and no, I didnt, I figured that I would get the same response elsewhere. I still have a fair bit of gold, like Stratto, bought in the good old days from Q, its 9ct, and the American 14ct - much of it paid below £150. Who remembers when the presenters used to slowly curl the chains into their palm to show how substantial they were. , and we all knew the names of the different chains.
Yes, unfortunately with jewellery, they just weigh them for the amount of gold. A ring has a very little amount of gold, a few grams. Stones are discarded, design and setting disregarded. However, if you sell it privately as a ring, then those features are considered. When you sell your jewellery for scrap, it is basically how many grams of precious metal it is worth. Valuation for insurance are based on how much it would cost to replace NOT the value of your item.
Buy jewellery to wear, enjoy or gift but not as an investment. If you want to invest in gold, bullion is better. I have a digigold account with the Royal Mint. They store my gold for me and I buy and sell easily.

Earlier this year I retired and was able to claim my civil service pension which included a lump sum. After buying new washing machine, mattress, vacuum, things I did need. I decided to buy myself a bubble design ring, I do have a diamonique silver one. Actually bought one on eBay, proper jewellers with a shop in Birmingham 9ct gold with amethysts. They had to make it and send it to the assay office to get the hallmarks added, so it took about 3 weeks. Now it was 4 grams of gold and £365. Love the ring. They do different versions with different stones, so I had a look and the ring I bought is now over £400.

Latest posts

Back