Random rubbishy records

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes - the BBC banned Magic Roundabout was what supposedly sold the single. I bought the Double ‘A’ Side record as a 12 year old, so the crude content of Magic Roundabout didn’t really either appeal or make me laugh. I really liked Funky Moped, which I thought was a really catchy tune. Thought he performed it live incredibly well on TOTP, too. Particularly as the TOTP Orchestra appeared to lose their way half way through.. Those were the days on the show where due to Musicians’ Union rules, artists appearing in the studio had to either redo the backing track of their record beforehand using Musicians’ Union session musicians, or do it live using Johnny Pearson’s orchestra when they appeared. Quite a number of the TOTP Orchestra’s attempts were significantly inferior to the original versions, but union power was strong then, and that was how it had to be, or no appearance on the Show.

Last edited:
I Want To Break Free was considered an anthem in South Africa. This of course was in the 80s before Nelson Mandela was released.

Some 60s song had very worrying lyrics if you listen to them with modern ears. I do listen to Classic Gold station and they pop up.

Gary Puckett, Young Girl. There is another one from him, Lady Will Power, trying to push a young woman into having sex with him.

There was a thread in the music section of Digital Spy about suspect lyrics in songs. One I remember was Ray Davies from the Kinks, no idea of the title now. But it was about him stalking a teenage girl and hiding in the bushes to watch her!!!!:sick::cautious:

Freya Payne, Band Of Gold. It was released just I started secondary school and the lyrics were it seems still to this day never explained.
Was the husband, gay? Or was he impotent?

Some of these oldies don't get any airplay and don't get featured on compilation albums due to lyrics that are deemed unacceptable for this day and age or the singer has turned out to be a wrong 'un. I think a lot of them don't because despite them reaching the dizzy heights back in the day or even the middle of the charts, they're so meh, or out of place that the compilers miss them out as they want to sell records. The Pina Colada song has become a cult classic but "Him" by the same artist has gone absolutely nowhere - The Pina colada song didn't even make the top 20, it peaked at no. 22!

Kenny Everett - very politically incorrect, but so funny. His Rod Stewart impression in the leopard skin pants is engraved on my brain.

All done in the best POSSIBLE taste!
And Cupid, as well as Gizzard. It's actually surprising what 'we' (TV etc) got away with in the 70's and 80's.

Kenny Everett - very politically incorrect, but so funny. His Rod Stewart impression in the leopard skin pants is engraved on my brain.

All done in the best POSSIBLE taste!
On yes no matter how many times you see it's hilarious.
I thought he was brilliant used to listen to him on the BBC radio,I think it was a Saturday morning until he got sacked.

Changing lyrics is also extremely frustrating for me. It’s been done with Oliver’s Army by Elvis Costello and now with Fairytale of New York by The Pogues. Changing history for modern day not wanting to offend.
They rarely played that for ages, until they changed the words, and TBH, I preferred the original version.

Changing lyrics is also extremely frustrating for me. It’s been done with Oliver’s Army by Elvis Costello and now with Fairytale of New York by The Pogues. Changing history for modern day not wanting to offend.
Never liked Oliver's army after hearing the N word a word I have never uttered . Even in 1979 I thought the word was abhorrent.

I think he has some explanation that it was actually an anti-racist statement. Whether that’s true or whether it isn’t, I would personally prefer to see the record band then have the lyrics interfered with to make it acceptable to play. Never particularly liked him or his music.

Never liked Oliver's army after hearing the N word a word I have never uttered . Even in 1979 I thought the word was abhorrent.
I obviously know the song, but just decided to listen to the original version to refresh my memory. Never noticed that word, and the video is rather racist too, or should that be stereotypical? Or whatever it's called when you pretend you're of a nation when you're not: appropriation? Like the B&W Minstrels.

Latest posts

Back