Random rubbishy records

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've totally run out of random rubbishy records (for now!) I think it's a toss up between Charlene and Anita Dobson for the worst. I would probably give it to Anita as at least Charlene can sing! Whilst the lyrics of I've never been to me are totally cringeworthy, at least it tells a story unlike "anyone can fall in love" which are just a series of words cobbled together to fit the Eastenders theme tune - couple that with Anita's weak and reedy voice and we have our winner!
To sum up Actors and soap stars have a lot to answer for, novelty records - they are what they are, and some just seem out of place in a popular music chart. My delve into the story behind "One day at a time" showed that the song was written by Kris Kristofferson and probably would've sounded a damned sight better if he sang it. When I listened to it I could recognise that it had a C&W vibe but it still surprises me that an unknown rather frumpy middle aged woman set the charts alight! I'm also stumped by the fact that the Royal Dragoon guards scored a no.1 hit in the 70's with Amazing Grace played on the bagpipes! I HATE the sound of bagpipes, but I get that not everybody does so I can't say it's a necessarily bad tune - It's just not to my taste, and again out of place in the charts.
So let's hear it for limp and lame songs, bad lyrics, bad singers and the downright weird! And Anita Dobson - This one's for you

I'm a huge ABBA fan and pretty much liked all the songs they released as singles but I absolutely hate, hate, hate 'Dancing Queen'. IMO it's a truly horrendous song that if I never heard again would still be too soon.

Oh, and I quite like the Charlene song. I'll get my coat on the way out...

I'm a huge ABBA fan and pretty much liked all the songs they released as singles but I absolutely hate, hate, hate 'Dancing Queen'. IMO it's a truly horrendous song that if I never heard again would still be too soon.

Oh, and I quite like the Charlene song. I'll get my coat on the way out...
I love Dancing Queen! But I'm sure like me you appreciate that it's an extremely popular song that still gets a lot of airplay even nowadays. There's a fair few popular songs I cannot blinking stand - pretty much everything by Oasis tbh. These are good examples of songs/artists that you don't have to look very far to find them. I was hoping to be reminded of the limp and lame stuff that is nobody's guilty pleasure and have pretty much been buried for posterity. Does that mean Charlene has to be removed from the list since you have admitted that the guilty pleasure is yours! I hope not lol! Whilst we are on the subject of guilty pleasures - I like a fair few of Michael Bolton's songs. I've never been able to work out whether it's an embarrassing thing to admit because he's a bad singer singing bad songs or he's a complete Wally!

Christ on a 🚲 I forgot about the spoken bit in Charlene's record. It goes a little bit like this "You know what paradise is it's that little baby you're holding and that man you fought with this morning, the same man you're going to make love with tonight- that's love🤮🤮🤮

Christ on a 🚲 I forgot about the spoken bit in Charlene's record. It goes a little bit like this "You know what paradise is it's that little baby you're holding and that man you fought with this morning, the same man you're going to make love with tonight- that's love🤮🤮🤮
I only just made it to the bathroom to be sick😱🤢🤮🤣

I've got Spotify and I found a publicly available playlist called 1970s - every song in the UK Top 40 (Jan 1st 1970 - Dec 31st 1979)

I was curious as I wanted to see lesser known songs that I'd forgotten about. What I realised was that there was a lot of novelty stuff, country music and middle of the road stuff not aimed at teenagers (like Des O'Connor, Roger Whittaker, Englbert Hunperdinck, Jim Reeves, Perr Como, Ken Dodd, Val Doonican, Charles Aznavour, Demis Roussos, Band of the Black Watch etc). It was a very diverse era.

I'm scrolling through the playlist now, I'm getting quite emotional as the memories of my childhood are flooding back😊

My all time least favourite song Heart - All I want to do is make love to you. Absolutely awful 🤣🤣🤣

My all time least favourite song Heart - All I want to do is make love to you. Absolutely awful 🤣🤣🤣
I'd not heard of that one before so I just looked it up...well sung, but awful, awful lyrics and not trying to be sexist here, but surely she'd have a job!
Unfortunately I remembered a couple of shite trax from the 80's - One's pretty obvious and that's Chris De Burgh's Lady in Red, it doesn't really fall into the criteria I'm looking for as it (sadly) hasn't been forgotten, even though it seems to be universally disliked....but hey, Paul McCartney - Spies like us!!! Lame and buried in the mists of time - I actually prefer the frog chorus!

One that I hate for the lyrics is stand By Your Man. Despite the fact that he treats you badly you should show him love and be there for him "cos after all he's just a man". I'm trying not to throw up just writing this🤢

And Merryone, totally agree with you on The Lady in Red. Particularly the way he rhymes 'dance' and 'romance'😵‍💫

I'd not heard of that one before so I just looked it up...well sung, but awful, awful lyrics and not trying to be sexist here, but surely she'd have a job!
Unfortunately I remembered a couple of shite trax from the 80's - One's pretty obvious and that's Chris De Burgh's Lady in Red, it doesn't really fall into the criteria I'm looking for as it (sadly) hasn't been forgotten, even though it seems to be universally disliked....but hey, Paul McCartney - Spies like us!!! Lame and buried in the mists of time - I actually prefer the frog chorus!
The lyrics are quite shocking! But this probably dates me. Any Twenty Somethings now wouldn’t bat an eyelid!!!

Not their best song for sure.

Ann Wilson on lead vocals, sister Nancy on guitar.

Latest posts

Back