Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Agree totally with your post, like the artistic license part, but like yourself it's the outright lies and false claims which really anger me, and while Peter Simon may be the worst, they are all at it, either knowingly or through ignorance, and I word that way as to me this is a Company problem/policy rather than just the presenters themselves.
While Peter Simon (agree certainly seems to have some sort of mental disorder) or Mason or the others are responsible for a lot of the rubbish they utter, which is virtually every show, and obviously the Company doesn't have a problem with it as they are complicit by allowing it to continue (I've emailed the studio email address numerous times, which goes straight to one of the show producers, during shows to point out errors they are making, and apart from once when they replied to a question, have been totally ignored). A lot of what the presenters say, especially detailed descriptions of products and the companies behind them, is governed by the information they are fed from the Management, Buyers, Show Directors/Producers and of course some of the so called expert guests.

I complained successfully to ASA regarding Ballast shows and Peter Simon's claims that they were a Swiss Brand since 1903, and despite emails to them pointing out this was wrong, it continued for a number of shows over a two week period, but the result was IW had written that presenters had been made aware of the error and IW assured ASA it would not happen again, so ASA didn't feel a formal investigation was needed. In other words you would need to spend a helluva lot of time detailing multiple breaches of the ASA code and even then IW would only receive a wee slap on the wrist, so you're probably wasting your time. IW know this, probably why the allow it to continue.

As you touched on in another post we (the viewing/buying public) are a funny bunch. You'd think after decades of falling for 'the salesperson's pitch' we'd have learnt. Some of us have, some haven't and tbh we're probably all still susceptible given the a perfect storm of circumstances e.g. product, our mood, price, 'the pitch' etc.

Without naming any particular channels, I suspect selly telly managers are happy sailing close to the wind with the legalities as long as it equates to more sales. Some channels certainly appear worse than others, I'll leave you to decipher who ;)

She thinks the leather strap on one is at least £40 prob a lot more. ;)

JCPenny & Macy's name dropping again.

Something for everyone in the show, she says. Also debut launch in the UK for this brand so you'll be first own one, unless you bought one from Amazon who have been selling them for a few years. :eek:

I tell you, she's as bad (maybe even worse) as Fields from Swan & Edgar, any lingering doubts that she may be an unbiased watch expert are well and truly extinguished. :ROFLMAO:

Geesh, who's buying these things, wish folks would realise they would be better off going and buying Seiko, Pulsar, Citizen, Orient etc who are actual watchmakers, who will give you better quality watches at these prices without all the con tricks with these extremely exaggerated RRPs and fictitious claims to their quality.

Betcha they didn’t mention that, sadly, JCPenney is on the brink of Bankruptcy :(

As you touched on in another post we (the viewing/buying public) are a funny bunch. You'd think after decades of falling for 'the salesperson's pitch' we'd have learnt. Some of us have, some haven't and tbh we're probably all still susceptible given the a perfect storm of circumstances e.g. product, our mood, price, 'the pitch' etc.

Without naming any particular channels, I suspect selly telly managers are happy sailing close to the wind with the legalities as long as it equates to more sales. Some channels certainly appear worse than others, I'll leave you to decipher who ;)

To be honest, don't really watch TV shopping channels, but for some strange reason i'm hooked on IW for the comedy :ROFLMAO:, was once a QVC member back in their early days, wasn't for me, but my mother used to collect Hummel plates (Xmas specials) and No Wet Wonder Foam, so I had to order them for her, she was never able to order stuff from TV or Internet. But anyway it was on the off chance flicking through channels I noticed a watch show on IW and the rest is history. The only other channel I could comment on is the V Channel watch shows, again saw them by chance, and have to say they come out with some nonsense on there also, although they do have some recognised watch brands, seen Tissot, Bulova etc, but given the rubbish they come out with, no way would I buy a watch from them.

Jane plan time and isn't it amazing, they have these big soup plates, piled high with food and 90% of the contents of the plates aren't actually part of the Jane Plan. :ROFLMAO:
The breakfast bags take the biscuit though, like a really small bag of gerbil food.
It's no wonder folk lose weight with this plan, there is hardly any bloomin food in it. Dispensing a chicken dish she says the portions are so big she can't even get round to serving it all. :ROFLMAO:

Classy De Knees was yesterday using emotional blackmail to sell electric bikes: "...sometimes I can feel that it's a little bit too much and I can become overcome with the situation when I'm at home"..."I can be feeling sad, feeling that it's all a bit too much...I don't, haven't seen my daughter for eight weeks, don't know what's going on, want to cuddle people...daren't cuddle people"...nice! (y)

Also they're flogging a Goodbody moisturising hand cleansing spray as mentioned in this picture that doesn't appear to have virus (or even bacteria) killing properties, and they still want £9.59+£2.99 P&P for two?!?!?! Plus spot Dennice's hand-written cue card in this picture where someone's written keywords such as 'Lightweight':

Screenshot_2020-05-13 Electric Bike BlockBuster 20 15 12 05 2020 IW Ideal World.png

Also hilarious was tonight's Downland bedding show where Mike Mason (with Shona) was being creative when trying his best to discuss the menopause without actually mentioning the word itself (which presumably must upset some of their audience): "those temperature fluctuations at certain times", "around that time", "that time of the month", "that certain time of life", "that year of life", "that age of life", "when everything starts to change for a lady"..."she was hot", "she was flushing"...

Jane plan time and isn't it amazing, they have these big soup plates, piled high with food and 90% of the contents of the plates aren't actually part of the Jane Plan. :ROFLMAO:
The breakfast bags take the biscuit though, like a really small bag of gerbil food.
It's no wonder folk lose weight with this plan, there is hardly any bloomin food in it. Dispensing a chicken dish she says the portions are so big she can't even get round to serving it all. :ROFLMAO:

Tbh I'd go as far as to say this disgusts me. Not the food, haven't tried it! I mean showing the product with a whole LOT of other food that would add a fair bit of cost to your overall purchase if you took this approach. And let's face it, given the base product looks pretty 'average' I suspect people would want to add other food.

And talk about an abuse of the English language. Caught 5 mins of the presentation last night and Mike stated the food was (paraphrasing slightly) truly amazing. Really? Truly amazing? So on a par with top quality restaurants and other such eateries then? Cause to say something is truly amazing puts it in a whole other league.

Gosh, must buy myself some of this food. Then add some veg ... and some potatoes ... and a bit more meat ;)

Classy De Knees was yesterday using emotional blackmail to sell electric bikes: "...sometimes I can feel that it's a little bit too much and I can become overcome with the situation when I'm at home"..."I can be feeling sad, feeling that it's all a bit too much...I don't, haven't seen my daughter for eight weeks, don't know what's going on, want to cuddle people...daren't cuddle people"...nice! (y)

Also they're flogging a Goodbody moisturising hand cleansing spray as mentioned in this picture that doesn't appear to have virus (or even bacteria) killing properties, and they still want £9.59+£2.99 P&P for two?!?!?! Plus spot Dennice's hand-written cue card in this picture where someone's written keywords such as 'Lightweight':

View attachment 18822

Also hilarious was tonight's Downland bedding show where Mike Mason (with Shona) was being creative when trying his best to discuss the menopause without actually mentioning the word itself (which presumably must upset some of their audience): "those temperature fluctuations at certain times", "around that time", "that time of the month", "that certain time of life", "that year of life", "that age of life", "when everything starts to change for a lady"..."she was hot", "she was flushing"...

She's one presenter I just can't watch for some reason. Mainly to do with her 24/7 'having a moment' voice. I caught 5 mins of her on an ebike show and ... surprise surprie ... it was time to knock other modes of two wheeled transport.

'I tried riding a moped years ago and just couldn't get on with it. It just sort of 'went' and I felt I had no control. With this, I feel in total control.'

Correct Dennnniicce, motorbikes and mopeds are all utter rubbish. We should all be on ebikes as the others just 'sort of go' ... gosh you'd think they had an engine or something! The sad thing is the guest expert (the fitness guy) joined in and said he tried a motorbike once and couldn't even get it off its stand, so he realised ebikes were the way to go.

I'm going to knock on my neighbours door. He's a member of a biker gang called 'Good is Bad and Bad is Good.' I'm going to advise him to sell his Harley and buy an ebike :)

She's one presenter I just can't watch for some reason. Mainly to do with her 24/7 'having a moment' voice. I caught 5 mins of her on an ebike show and ... surprise surprie ... it was time to knock other modes of two wheeled transport.

'I tried riding a moped years ago and just couldn't get on with it. It just sort of 'went' and I felt I had no control. With this, I feel in total control.'

Correct Dennnniicce, motorbikes and mopeds are all utter rubbish. We should all be on ebikes as the others just 'sort of go' ... gosh you'd think they had an engine or something! The sad thing is the guest expert (the fitness guy) joined in and said he tried a motorbike once and couldn't even get it off its stand, so he realised ebikes were the way to go.

I'm going to knock on my neighbours door. He's a member of a biker gang called 'Good is Bad and Bad is Good.' I'm going to advise him to sell his Harley and buy an ebike :)
l think you might be wearing an ebike if you do that 😂

Imagine the spiel if IW sold a moped? "You need to forget the strain of pushbiking. Even with ebikes you have to put some effort in. Not to mention the limited range, speed and all the faffing with charging. No, if you really are serious about personal transport, you need the Yamsuki 50. Just look at it, isn't it simply exquisite. This masterpiece of engineering is the pinnacle of North Korean technology with a lineage dating back all the way to 1745 - no, not quarter to six - but the year when the first motorcycle was produced. (Pause) Is this the right price? I'm sure someone's made a mistake? It can't be only £5799? Remember, we've only got this stock because the Basildon International Motorcycle Show was cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak (another pause) Hold on folks, We were scheduled to be on air for an hour but it looks like we're going to sell out well before that. You really need to check out those baskets."

Imagine the spiel if IW sold a moped? "You need to forget the strain of pushbiking. Even with ebikes you have to put some effort in. Not to mention the limited range, speed and all the faffing with charging. No, if you really are serious about personal transport, you need the Yamsuki 50. Just look at it, isn't it simply exquisite. This masterpiece of engineering is the pinnacle of North Korean technology with a lineage dating back all the way to 1745 - no, not quarter to six - but the year when the first motorcycle was produced. (Pause) Is this the right price? I'm sure someone's made a mistake? It can't be only £5799? Remember, we've only got this stock because the Basildon International Motorcycle Show was cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak (another pause) Hold on folks, We were scheduled to be on air for an hour but it looks like we're going to sell out well before that. You really need to check out those baskets."

What gets me about the 'slating other product' thing is, often, the product they're slating is perfectly good. A classic example is when they sell floor cleaning products. They bring out this very old, never cleaned, skanky looking mop. Coupled with a bucket of already dirty water. They then proceed to dip it in the water, half heartedly squeeze out the excess (to ensure it drips on the floor) then they move it over the floor VERY LIGHTLY so it doesn't have a chance of picking up any excess water.

Of course a mop & bucket will never be as good as a modern battery/electric cleaning machine and yes, it maybe doesn't remove 100% of germs on the floor. However, the good old mop & bucket served people well for decades and, if properly looked after and used, I reckon they still do a decent enough job.

It kind of annoyed when they slated mopeds in favour of an ebike cause it's not a direct or fair comparison. And, unless I was keen on getting fit, if I had to travel 10 miles through hill and dale, I know which I'd rather have ;)

Oh god....Richard "never tell the truth" Mire and his ****** drones. Once again spouting bullcrap. Any feature this drone has, you'd normally have to pay 800,900...1000 pound.

Apparently the DJI mini doesn't exist in his world. Then the usual "normally you spend years learning how to take off" "one button with this" ....yeah no other drone has that.

Then he says "by the way.....behind the scene man X recently paid £1000 for a drone, how many cameras does it have? one! how many does this have...two! One facing down" for getting of course that a drone costing a grand has a camera that will swing downwards rather nicely on its gimble. Oh and on those 800,900 and 1000 pound drones, you have to pay £150 extra for an electric gimble"....what?????

Seriously, this gobshite needs pulling up on all the tripe he talks selling this cheap tat.

Oh god....Richard "never tell the truth" Mire and his ****** drones. Once again spouting bullcrap. Any feature this drone has, you'd normally have to pay 800,900...1000 pound.

Apparently the DJI mini doesn't exist in his world. Then the usual "normally you spend years learning how to take off" "one button with this" ....yeah no other drone has that.

Then he says "by the way.....behind the scene man X recently paid £1000 for a drone, how many cameras does it have? one! how many does this have...two! One facing down" for getting of course that a drone costing a grand has a camera that will swing downwards rather nicely on its gimble. Oh and on those 800,900 and 1000 pound drones, you have to pay £150 extra for an electric gimble"....what?????

Seriously, this gobshite needs pulling up on all the tripe he talks selling this cheap tat.

I don't think there is a more annoying person than the drone guy on IW, at least with most of the rest you can laugh at them for their stupidity, but this guy has no redeeming features, he's just simply annoying.

Oh and they're saying, might be last time this year we'll see it due to the situation world wide. Really don't know why, China is working normal again, so I fail to see how they can be having delivery problems. Hundreds of drones on Aliexpress with these features and more, for less money.

Yeah he's maybe exchanged selling tricks with Mike who loves doing the same thing (price comparison wide) with phones :)

Caught some of the drone show yesterday and yes, although he's maybe perfectly nice off camera, Richard is a difficult watch, too hyper etc even by IW standards. Sad thing is, talking about the cameras, as many people know there are vast differences in the quality output of HD cameras. Ok, the drones they sell might be decent enough feature wise for the price (not done any research though tbh) but PLEASE STOP the not so subtle selling techniques of comparing them with drones that sell for £750+. Drones that will, in general, be better in almost all if not all areas.

Latest posts

Back