Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My local chippy charges £10.20 for takeaway small cod and chips. But it's excellent quality and very popular in the area. I treat myself once a month.

Mine's £11 for a Haddock supper, but i usually have the Jumbo Haddock supper at £12. Probably once a month as well, but the chipper also has a licensed restaurant area so every so often will have a sit down evening meal of Jumbo Haddock/Chips/Mushy Peas/bread and a Pint. :)

Reminds me an old boss of mine who always got his secretary to go and buy his cigarettes. When his secretary was on holiday he asked the temp to get them. She asked him what ones. Benson and Hedges and if they haven’t got them anything would do. Woolworths out of stock of B&H.

To this day I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but she came back with an individual pork pie. This must’ve been around 1970 and even now it still makes me laugh.
Hasten to add he never asked the temp to get his fags again. The majority of secretaries in those days were almost like servants. I went for a n interview when I left school for a trainee secretary job. Had to do an aptitude test, was told by the personnel officer that I wouldn’t make a secretary in a month of Sundays as I didn’t like being told what to do.

She wasn’t far wrong. I got a job working for a large multinational company and worked my way up to management level. Didn’t like that as i’m a real hands on person, ended up with a job troubleshooting and problem solving.

If we have a Takeaway, it’s either Chinese or KFC, I know the Chinese, Dad has known the owner for years, so gets mates rates.

KFC I think dad gets a family box, haven’t a clue how much that costs

Used to have Chinese, but haven't had one for years, prefer Indian now. Never had a KFC.

our local chippy does deliveries via Just Eat. Used to be around £11 for cod and chips including delivery. Used to eat half the chips and put the other half in the fridge to have with fried eggs next day. Price stayed the same but portions reduced. It now works out at nearly £20! I now buy a breaded cod fillet and make my own chips, cook both in airfryer. Cost £2.50 and much healthier.

our local chippy does deliveries via Just Eat. Used to be around £11 for cod and chips including delivery. Used to eat half the chips and put the other half in the fridge to have with fried eggs next day. Price stayed the same but portions reduced. It now works out at nearly £20! I now buy a breaded cod fillet and make my own chips, cook both in airfryer. Cost £2.50 and much healthier.
We Tend to have Fish and Chips on a Friday. Dad uses the frozen fish it’s cheaper.

Every time I see moronic Mike, pervy pete, Janis, and Stan butler - I have the ear worm of I can’t dance by genesis running through my head 😳🤣

I 'ate yew Butlahhh

Attachments

• blakey.gif
    blakey.gif
    35.3 KB
When Pedro buys Fieh and Chips, him and bet probably share a piece of fish
Wife and I usually share large cod and large chips.
The fish easily spans a decent dinner plate and weighs in at about 350g for £7.50. Chips usually weigh in at about 1Kg for £4.30.
Always a nice treat to have a chippy tea when you can't be bothered to cook.

Our chippy is about £18 for two large haddock and chips - and when I say 'large', the haddock is about the size of a blue whale. The chips are also huge portions, so we've started acting like pensioners and having one haddock and large chips between the two of us: there's still more than enough food. Compare that to the Chinese, where a single dish plus rice each, plus some mini spring rolls and prawn crackers comes to about £35.

Any of you lot love McDonalds..

I disliked it even as a child
Not Maccy D for me. My friend used to love it and always insisted on going there when work were paying for lunch.
I personally don't mind Burger King although I haven't been there that often.

Takeaways - Not had a Chinese in more than 10 years I'd say. Fish and chips was years ago, seem to recall it was on offer for National Fish and Chip day or something like that.

For Chinese I tend to fake using savoury rice or decent basmati in the steamer, plus some frozen chicken chunks/mini fillets in coating of some sort. Add in a fresh or frozen pancake roll, some sweet chilli sauce from B&M and its good enough without spending silly money.

Fish like others on here I buy frozen battered/crumbed, Aldi used to be my favourite, but they moved the store further across town so its no so easy to nip to. Chips sometimes frozen, sometimes fresh all done in air fryer.

Not Maccy D for me. My friend used to love it and always insisted on going there when work were paying for lunch.
I personally don't mind Burger King although I haven't been there that often.
I don't mind McD's however I'm going through a spell of having Burger King if I want a burger. Burger King's fries are for me a lot better than McD's.

Latest posts

Back