Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Banned from watching this evening. Partner won’t allow it. Sugababes instead at Radio 2 in the Park.
I've been out all afternoon meeting up with family. We were out for hours eating and drinking. I may be a little bit tipsy🤔🥂 I will not be putting channel 51 on!

Anyone remember The Golden Shot presented by Bob Monkhouse, Bernie the Bolt and Anne Asten? Think it used to be on Sunday tea time. Didn’t like it much but back in those days we only had one telly, black and white and before remote controls.
I was quite young but just remember Bob Monkhouse bring creepy towards the female assistant on The Golden Shot, in a kind of lecherous way. I just couldn't take to him.

Seeing as folk are discussing tv shows, I just want to say as far as I'm concerned, this was THEE best intro music of any show then and probably hasn't been surpassed. Whether you liked the actual show or not, surely no one can deny how great this intro is??? And if you're having doubts, just click on the link and let the music flow baby, let the music flow :)

I was quite young but just remember Bob Monkhouse bring creepy towards the female assistant on The Golden Shot, in a kind of lecherous way. I just couldn't take to him.
Yes he was creepy to her. Never took to him on TV but he was very quick witted on the radio. I think I remember he had his jokebooks stolen . He had a very extensive library/archive of old films and tv shows.

As I've said before (yes I admit, I'm becoming more like Victor Meldrew the older I get!) I don't even find their antics remotely funny any more.

They genuinely do open their gobs and spout any old rubbish.

I hopped on last night and Peter S was selling a watch for £99.99, reduced from £199.99.

Can you guess what he said, go on guess before scrolling down, he said ...

... you must put this on your household insurance!

Eh? What?!? On what planet would you contact your insurer to ask for a £200 watch to be added as an additional item on your policy.
To be fair, on that point, I might well add a 200 quid watch, but more to do with my own piece of mind, not that it is the inheritance object they try to paint it but just because my policy is designed to add various items (contents) and it doesn't affect the price. What gets me is that they say it as if to equate it to a Rolex or other watch that costs thousands. Not every watch will be worth something on the antiques roadshow down the line

Don’t know if anyone else is watching Simon Says at the moment but he’s given the air fryer he’s selling every brand name except it’s actual one. It’s by Tokit (who?) but good ol’ Pete’s been calling it Tocker/Ticket/Ticker etc, etc.
Oh, and apparently “loads of ya ‘ave been texting in’ to say thank goodness it isn’t black (it’s mint green). Yep, green air fryers - who knew there was such a gap in the market…not!
Peter should have read the company's website: https://uk.tokit.com/pages/about-us...pMagYvJ3lPkoPwurbJsqATNYUtoSZYa0aAhYHEALw_wcB

They appear to be a company that started out with crowdfunding products on Kickstarter

Seeing as folk are discussing tv shows, I just want to say as far as I'm concerned, this was THEE best intro music of any show then and probably hasn't been surpassed. Whether you liked the actual show or not, surely no one can deny how great this intro is??? And if you're having doubts, just click on the link and let the music flow baby, let the music flow :)

Very epic show and sequence. There was a short lived show which I loved and and recently got on DVD. With the threat of AI it has oddly become relevant again. Except this was running of IBMs from the 80s pre Microsoft:

Yes he was creepy to her. Never took to him on TV but he was very quick witted on the radio. I think I remember he had his jokebooks stolen . He had a very extensive library/archive of old films and tv shows.
Massive archive. He used to have a TV show featuring clips of the 1920s silent movie comedy stars using footage from his own library.

He had a son with learning difficulties. He talked frequently about him on television over the years - once breaking down on Parkinson’s show as he was mentioning him.

Talking of ‘creepy’ - he was featured in an ad for prevention of prostate cancer with a passed away Bob Monkhouse speaking of his own death from the disease in a graveyard. I can’t remember how it was done now. Probably still accessible in the visual eternity that is YouTube….

Massive archive. He used to have a TV show featuring clips of the 1920s silent movie comedy stars using footage from his own library.

He had a son with learning difficulties. He talked frequently about him on television over the years - once breaking down on Parkinson’s show as he was mentioning him.

Talking of ‘creepy’ - he was featured in an ad for prevention of prostate cancer with a passed away Bob Monkhouse speaking of his own death from the disease in a graveyard. I can’t remember how it was done now. Probably still accessible in the visual eternity that is YouTube….

I remember when I was a child a friend's mum had been a nurse for his son, I've just looked it up and he had cerebral palsy. Pretty sure it was on a more personal level than just encountering him in hospital. Can't quite remember details now as it was 50 years ago.

He was a great gag writer, I just didn't like his smarmy persona on games shows generally.

It's his rip off of Larry Grayson and for that matter Frankie Howerd
Speaking of Frankie Howerd, do you remember in the 90s he was rediscovered when he was invited to do a gig at the Oxford Union? All the students thought he was hilarious, and original. My mum said he was doing the exact same act he had done for 40 odd years! It's nice when that happens and they find a new audience, and he was on all the chat shows talking about it.

He said to the Oxford Uni students that he wasn't an intellectual, when they laughed he said sarcastically that this was why he felt at home here! They loved that.

I remember when I was a child a friend's mum had been a nurse for his son, I've just looked it up and he had cerebral palsy. Pretty sure it was on a more personal level than just encountering him in hospital. Can't quite remember details now as it was 50 years ago.

He was a great gag writer, I just didn't like his smarmy persona on games shows generally.
Like you, never keen on him. Slick and almost American comic timing style in approach. You had to admire his speed of thought; but in terms of making you really laugh - never for me. A tad too oleaginous, I would describe him as.

Latest posts

Back