Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well it's to be expected, couldn't see anyone wanted to buy IW, it's failed twice in a few years and is obviously run by a load of incompetent management and fronted by a collection of the must the unlikable bunch of presenters it's possible to assemble. Apart from a Freeview slot it has no real assets and a debt that probably runs into millions, plus add Sports Direct (whatever they are up to) into the mix and it's really isn't an appealing investment.

RIP Ideal World

iwrip.png

Okay so now, in due course, we'll find out what were Sports Direct/House of Fraser Group motives for getting involved with IW.
I'm assuming they'll acquire IW assets, branding, trademark etc for failure to repay Debenture loan. Freeview slot maybe?
Asset stripping?

Hi All

Hope you're well. Not posted here for a while, I don't watch the selly telly channels at all these days.

It's never good to see people lose their employment, however for all the reasons discussed on here over the years, my sympathies sit more with those behind the camera and in non senior management positions. As for the presenters, not for one sec would I defend some (most) of their selling techniques. Having said that, others off screen (the senior managers I refer to) must surely have been complicit in them utilising such techniques. Perhaps the presenters were even encouraged, who knows.

It's grubby television. Jokes aside they were the barrow boys/girls of selly telly and the likes of TJC and Gemporia are no better. Heck, even the more professional/polished QVC isn't without sin. I popped into my mates a couple of weeks back and his other half had QVC on. The presenter said 'these are selling fast so please remember to check out your baskets!' Yes they're selly telly, it's what they exist for, however some of the techniques just don't sit easy with me regardless of the channel.

Also, as we've discussed before, I just don't see how selly telly can be sustainable in years to come. Perhaps the juggernauts like QVC can survive, however with viewer habits changing and younger generations not 'watching telly' in the traditional sense, who's going to watch and buy? In addition, surely younger folk who've grown up with tech will be more inclined to buy from Amazon and other online stores. In short, I'm not convinced a younger viewing/buying audience will replace the older audience. That has to be a significant challenge for those who own/run these channels in years to come.

As others have said, I can't see QVC taking many of the presenters from IW and I'm not convinced many of them are suited to C&C. Maybe they'll crop up on TJC etc.

If IW is brought back to life in a different guise, I reckon it'll still just be a matter of time until IW v2 closes again ... for good.

In closing, for those viewers who really enjoyed watching and perhaps buying (with open eyes) it's a sad day. I wouldn't poke fun at them, we all like different things in life. However, for those who fell for the guff, this is surely a blessing in disguise.

Realistically only ones I can see on C&C are Dean and Joe who do hours for them anyway, Chef Joe is currently on air, Sounding Jolly not sure Id be jolly

Would be good if we could keep this going, or turn our attention to another channel

that's not a surprise, so to speculate todays update was a placeholder, used to inform staff of redundancy and when they might or might not get any outstanding wages , and not an all systems go again. Phew.

It's been said here by many and many times, the on screen antics portrayed a complete lack of respect for their viewers/customers, treating us as a bunch of 'dumb asses' and my perception and as I think Duke said (more eloquently obviously) literally 'tell em owt'. Heck we had shitty trouser belts last week and suggestions you could drill your own holes to make fit, WTF.

There has been some great banter and chat on here in amongst the madness.

She tells us absolutely nothing if you go into her Instagram feed. Removed all her make-up into the skip to look drawn and tense, and essentially then says what she MUST tell us is she CAN’T tell us…All about HER as per usual.
I sawcthe Instagram feed and thought it was all a bit fake. Seemed genuinely concerned to begin with but then she suddenly completely cheered up and reminded us about where to find her on social media and how exciting it is that she's now on Tik-Tok.

Well, that’s 23 years of my life watching that channel. No 24th now. From the very earliest days of this forum more or less, to an 18 years or so gap in posting about it here again. So many laughs it gave me. My company when I was alone. My humour in the darkest days after my wife died in 2021. And still even in those dreadful last few days of broadcasting, my nightly watch. I am genuinely sorry it has gone. A televisual bereavement sounds hysterically over the top, but that’s the mood today. I feel extremely sorry for office, call centre and warehouse staff. It sounds like they have been brutally treated. I don’t feel sorry for those cowboy and cowgirl presenters, and the management and production staff encouraging their antics. Most (not all) will find new work or even have it already. What I do hope is we don’t see their insincere faces on any form of shopping television ever again. There was a noticeable decline in moral selling standards from about 2015 onwards, and ultimately you feel these contributed to its failings. I hope those who destroyed the channel and the business are suitably proud of themselves this Thursday afternoon.

Hi, I'm new on here today & have obviously been missing some great banter. I echo what most have already said that it's the 'backroom' staff who've lost their jobs I feel for. With this hot weather will Mike 'Gollum' Mason return to one of his endless previous employments as a lifeguard? God, I hope not i live on the South Coast next to the beach.....he'd clear the water quicker than that big ol' fish in Amity. And finally, will somebody produce another limited edition resin figure of Peter Simon? like the 10th anniversary Bid TV one.....I don't know what I'm going to watch for a good laugh at 1am now....I'll just have to play with my Worry Angels.....

Sad day for all the backroom staff,higher management have let them down badly,along with the shocking selling tactic,none of the presenters should hold their heads high,shame on them and they should take a good look at themselves.
Let them disappear and like someone has said not appear on tv ever again.

Simon, Mason, Jacks, Robinson, Ryan, Von Boltless and Super Everything should all take a long hard look at themselves and their chosen methods of selling.

You're missing the "watch experts" the likes of Bordell, Boydel, Fields pair (baby & the other bloke), Mason's pal Clawley etc, would leave "all 4 corners" & "if your new to this channel" as they were mostly guilty of exaggeration & ignorance, where as the former lot have all openly lied to and mislead viewers and most definitely failed to correct presenters when they were spouting wrong information during watch shows, with Mr "genuine Slava movement" being the worst culprit.

Yes, those watch experts can certainly be added to the presenters hall of shame. A bigger bunch of charlatans I have yet to see. That car crash of a farce of a mockery of a sham of show trial watch show with that idiot with There Tourette‘s and Ezza K. being the pinnacle of the unprofessional. You realise now the outrageous liberties they were taking with vulnerable people’s pockets.

Latest posts

Back