qvc v catalogue v high st

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mak

Registered Shopper
IMO QVC have gone down hill in the last few years especially with their clothes. can their highly charged, badly designed, over priced creations that have high delivery charges really compare with the service provided by some of the catalogues and high street store/outlet.

is being able to see an item being worn on tv worth the extra costs over selecting from a catalogue and having purchases delivered or choosing in the flesh in a shop ?? :angry::angry::angry:

rant over:wave:

IMO QVC have gone down hill in the last few years especially with their clothes. can their highly charged, badly designed, over priced creations that have high delivery charges really compare with the service provided by some of the catalogues and high street store/outlet.

is being able to see an item being worn on tv worth the extra costs over selecting from a catalogue and having purchases delivered or choosing in the flesh in a shop ?? :angry::angry::angry:

rant over:wave:

with the odd exception, I think QVC fashion is dreadful and is one of the things that drags the channel down, and leaves it with the reputation of being for old dears with more money than sense.

seeing the item being worn makes no difference to me, I still think it's blimmin awful, and the fact it's all overpriced and (mainly) American tat is just adding insult to injury.

They seriously need to rethink their whole 'fashion' dept, in most of the other depts there are really decent, often excellent, well known brands, so why they insist on keeping such absolutely dire ranges of clothing is beyond me :headbang:

I'm a happy high st shopper as far as clothes are concerned, but for those who want to shop from home there are plenty of websites and catalogues to suit all budgets, tastes and sizes, and most of them offer full refunds as long as the item is returned with tags.

I'm surprised that the clothing ranges on QVC are actually still selling given all the choices there are now, but unfortunately most of them seem to be doing ok which means they won't be dumped!

Couldn't agree more with these posts. The sycophantic way the presenters talk to the QVC 'designers' sickens me because you know they wouldn't be seen dead in the 'fashions' they are presenting. I buy most of my clothes from the high street but a couple of special items from boutique type shops who stock some really lovely, unusual designs. I know there are forum members who have bought items from QVC and think they look great, but I just don't see what they see.

High street for me and a few online purchases but not from QVC (apart from a couple of coats which I have been really pleased with). Supermarkets do good ranges of stuff that is fine for work and often a third of the price of QVC . I do wonder how they still seem to be stuck in the time warp of bizzare American clothing. Maybe its the static?!!

The only fashion I have ever bought from QVC is a leather jacet and a coat.

I am short for a start so need jeans and trousers with inside leg of 29". QVC never offer a choice. I don't do frills, fancy stitching, sequenes(sp) and big patterns. I do not do high necks, large bust and need v or scoop necks.
So that kills QVC for me.

Haven't bought from a catalogue in years.

Have to say mainly Marks and Spencers for me.

Me too. QVC fashion is very questionable, IMO, and even for housebound peeps there are so many alternatives available these days, at a fraction of the price and better postage rates.

I'll continue to shop on the Hight Street with the occasional forage into online outlets.

I've only had one item of clothing from QVC, a Centigrade coat which was around £35 and is white and washable, which is why I bought it! A very similar coat was on sale in Next at the time for more than double the price. Generally I'm an M&S Autograph/Limited Collection, Wallis and Topshop girl (can just about get away with the latter at my age...:blush:)

I've often thought that QVC sells very different products to very different people; I can't imagine the young fashionistas who buy GHD also buying tons of Kim n Co, but maybe I'm wrong. I know from a friend that QVC do cater for larger sizes better than most high street chains, but she's also found a number of online companies that do truly fashionable clothing in plus sizes. I just cannot believe some of the prices QVC charge for man made fabrics. I agree it is the real weak area in their inventory.

On the subject of fashion, could any one of you lovely forumites answer this question for me? Have tried to find out without success.

What UK dress size does Carol Hochman go up to? I'd like to buy a present for my mum but I dont want to waste p and p if the size isn't right. I wish QVC would use UK dress sizes to describe their clothing!

Thanks in advance to any Carol Hochman purchases.....

Kim n Co - just old hat. Its the same old same old that is trotted out visit after visit.

Michelle Hope - I have a couple of her pieces from years back that are quite nice but again its getting to be the same old stuff.

Casual & Co - YUK:puke:

Dennis Basso - Heavy & cumbersome.

Quacker - Some of it loud & garish & far too OTT. And its getting worse I think.

B&W - again have a couple of his tops.

Can't beat M&S as far as I am concerned. Its all down to personal taste. I also think for some women QVC / Ideal World ( & don't start me on the trash they parade out ) its a life saver. Disabled etc who have difficulties getting into the nearest town.

QVC must do well on the regiulars as I think they would pretty soon get rid if they didn't make a packet out of them.

Last edited:
I must say I am surprised at the 'fashion' they sell. It is the one area of QVC that is not good. I'm in my 20's and happily buy all other products but when it comes to their clothes I recoil in horror! It needs a big shake up, even my mom of 60 doesn't like them so in our household none of the age groups like the 'fashion'.As for the prices!! Even the shoes and boots are terrible on the whole.

Their handbags are lovely if a bit overpriced however.

Its an American company, so obviously they are going to push everything from their side of the pond. Cosmetics, fashion, hair products, jewellery - most of whats on offer is American. Sadly Michelle Hope is the only UK input on the fashion front - and judging by what M & S have been offering lately,I think she has been designing for them too !

Incidentally, can anyone come up with the answer of how in heaven's name, can Kim Mendelsson continually churn out her "different" ranges - styles and fabric on such a regular basis ? The woman is here for 9 hour shows over a 2 day period EVERY other month, and, according to her, is here there and everywhere, SO how can she do this. Most 'proper' designers only have 2 collections a year, I can only think she must have 1000s of outworkers working like ants to produce the numbers that QVC demand - particularly as its not made in China or India.

Latest posts

Back