Pronounciation.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Sorry, couldn't resit that one! Why is Greiner (Lori), pronounced Gre-near, rather than Greye-ner? Just wondered.

without wanting to offend anyone, i would just say its pronounced like that because she's american... they often pronounce words differently/weirdly.

Lori invested in Stella Vale jewellery, in the Shark Tank, and is selling it on QVC UK. According to the guest, Heidi, the SV bracelet Lori is pictured wearing, is her favourite bracelet. Yeah. I understand why!

Sorry, couldn't resit that one! Why is Greiner (Lori), pronounced Gre-near, rather than Greye-ner? Just wondered.

Probably because the name will originate from France, Austria or Germany so where origin affects pronunciation.

If it were French in origin it would be pronounced Gray-ner or Gray-nay. It seems a bit like pronouncing Bucket as Bouquet.

Let's just agree to pronounce it as Grenouille (grun-wee) assuming she's a Francophile!

It's puzzled me when I hear it but I think it's just the way that particular family has decided to pronounce it. I'd have pronounced Greiner the German way - Gry-ner.

We do the same here. Cholmondley = Chumly. Featherstonehaugh = Fanshaw. etc.... Bizarreness lost in the mists of time, social climbing and old dialects.

We do the same here. Cholmondley = Chumly. Featherstonehaugh = Fanshaw. etc.... Bizarreness lost in the mists of time, social climbing and old dialects.

When I was a teenager I worked somewhere where one of the clients was called Mrs. St. John; she was an intensely irritating, snobby old c*w, who thought she was better than everyone else & had an automatic right to barge her way to the front of any queue!
I knew perfectly well her name was pronounced 'Sinjin' but whenever she came in I would purposely 'forget' & call her 'Mrs. Saint John', (usually loudly & to the delight & amusement of anyone else within earshot!), just to wind her up!
Petty I know but it always made her visits marginally more tolerable!

:mysmilie_454:

When I was a teenager I worked somewhere where one of the clients was called Mrs. St. John; she was an intensely irritating, snobby old c*w, who thought she was better than everyone else & had an automatic right to barge her way to the front of any queue!
I knew perfectly well her name was pronounced 'Sinjin' but whenever she came in I would purposely 'forget' & call her 'Mrs. Saint John', (usually loudly & to the delight & amusement of anyone else within earshot!), just to wind her up!
Petty I know but it always made her visits marginally more tolerable!

:mysmilie_454:

That reminded me of the tv series with Mrs Bucket ! :mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15: (keeping up appearances)

Latest posts

Back