"Pre-loved"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

thatu

Guest Shopper
There was some discussion on the Lola Rose show about ear-rings being cleaned thoroughly (cleaner than they were before, even) before being sold, so nobody should worry about hygiene when buying ear-rings from QVC. But if ear-rings are cleaned, can we assume that all returned clothes are cleaned, too? And bags? And shoes? And every other bit of jewellery that touches our skin?

Their cleaning bill must be huge if so. Though not sure how this affects cosmetics... Maybe they're given a quick sterilization?

One of the last orders I made was a used Bareminerals set, I didn't order a used one but that's what I got. Customer Services said, and I quote "we don't send used beauty products out" I said well try telling your warehouse staff that then because they're just putting them back on the shelves, then I informed her that that was the third time that a used beauty product had been sent out to me in the past six months, a few weeks later I received another used item and closed my account, best thing I ever did. As for buying earrings? Never in a million years, not because I think I'll catch something, just because I'd sooner pay cheaper elsewhere for a new pair.

Last edited:
There was some discussion on the Lola Rose show about ear-rings being cleaned thoroughly (cleaner than they were before, even) before being sold, so nobody should worry about hygiene when buying ear-rings from QVC. But if ear-rings are cleaned, can we assume that all returned clothes are cleaned, too? And bags? And shoes? And every other bit of jewellery that touches our skin?

Their cleaning bill must be huge if so. Though not sure how this affects cosmetics... Maybe they're given a quick sterilization?

Ugh yucky! Didn't hear that and I hadn't even considered they would do that :(
Just bought my Carer some earrings from qvc - silver Taxco drops - which I'm really excited about but the idea they may have been even tried on is concerning me!

But as for other clothes (or bedding - can you imagine?!), I've no idea how you could clean an item thoroughly without getting tags etc affected and/or leaving some sign or scent etc? Maybe they have a massive great sterilisation closet they put everything in and blast it with steam cleaners or god knows what?!

QVC want us to think that any returned earrings will go through a rigorous cleansing process before being sold again, when in reality we all know that it will just be some greasy haired, acne prone teenager on a YTS giving them a quick once over with a tea tree wipe.

If that is the case then they should not be selling them as new. Cosmetics should just be binned if returned, bedding also unless it is received back in the same like new condition.

Wouldn't it be a case for trading standards if someone received anything used when purchased as new?

I have said this before, why are people so yucky yucky over earrings? If the person trying has open bleeding holes in their ears yes. Easy to spot the dried blood. Otherwise no. Actually no different on trying on someone else's rings or bracelets. It has said before on here they used to actually said they were cleaned in a Clave(sp). So you would never wear your mother, grandmother or great grandmother's earrings, your sister's or your aunt's? Or is it only strangers?

As for clothes all shops do it, people take home or even in the shop try on don't like or don't fit then brought back. These are just put straight back on the rails. Shoe shops you try shoes on there, you all really think you are the only person ever to try on that pair?:mysmilie_17: They will look at the soles to see if worn outside of course. Makeup is never suppose to be resold, things do slip through though. On Ebay people sell slightly used make up and it sells, quite easy to sanitize it anyway. Though I have seen some real jokes but because its a highend brand they think its okay to sell and think people will buy. No. Knickers have strips on them when you try on so it easy to see if they have been worn when returned.

I think there`s a big difference between going into Marks, trying on clothes and then they`re returned to the shop floor and receiving a dress from QVC which someone has worn for up to 30 days and paying high p and p for secondhand USED goods. I used a dress as an example but it could be anything.
That`s where Q lets themselves down. They push the 30 day mbg but they sometimes resend obviously used goods.
Of course everybody tries on clothes and shoes, you have to but there`s a big difference between someone trying something and someone wearing something. In shops if you find something with lipstick on it or smelling of BO or heavily scented with another person`s perfume, you can put it back on the rail and pickup another one. With Q you have to have what they send and their staff obviously vary in how rigorously they check something has been worn or not.

QVC want us to think that any returned earrings will go through a rigorous cleansing process before being sold again, when in reality we all know that it will just be some greasy haired, acne prone teenager on a YTS giving them a quick once over with a tea tree wipe.

I have my doubts about them even using a tea tree wipe Mr Marple!

There was a thread on this subject only a few weeks ago: here.

Dentists use autoclaves to sterilise their equipment and it kills the bacteria from someones else's mouth adequately so I don't mind if earrings are cleansed this way...not sure this is a viable option for softer stones like pearl or opal, or for glued in stones in fashion jewellery like Butler & Wilson as the glue might melt.

On no, they don't send out used items...never.....'scuse me, a flying pig just crashed into my patio doors and I've got to get rid of those fairies at the bottom of my garden....
One of the last orders I made was a used Bareminerals set, I didn't order a used one but that's what I got. Customer Services said, and I quote "we don't send used beauty products out" I said well try telling your warehouse staff that then because they're just putting them back on the shelves, then I informed her that that was the third time that a used beauty product had been sent out to me in the past six months, a few weeks later I received another used item and closed my account, best thing I ever did. As for buying earrings? Never in a million years, not because I think I'll catch something, just because I'd sooner pay cheaper elsewhere for a new pair.

I'd say yes, it would, especially if it's a beauty or personal hygiene item, and it's sent out again with their full knowledge. We know that if you buy from the High St. someone can unscrew a cap and, in theory tamper with something on the shelves, but there are staff and security cameras about. if an item comes to someone's home it's much more likely it will be "sampled" and then returned.
If that is the case then they should not be selling them as new. Cosmetics should just be binned if returned, bedding also unless it is received back in the same like new condition.

Wouldn't it be a case for trading standards if someone received anything used when purchased as new?

Vienna, absolutely right, there's a huge difference. :mysmilie_497:
I think there`s a big difference between going into Marks, trying on clothes and then they`re returned to the shop floor and receiving a dress from QVC which someone has worn for up to 30 days and paying high p and p for secondhand USED goods. I used a dress as an example but it could be anything.
That`s where Q lets themselves down. They push the 30 day mbg but they sometimes resend obviously used goods.
Of course everybody tries on clothes and shoes, you have to but there`s a big difference between someone trying something and someone wearing something. In shops if you find something with lipstick on it or smelling of BO or heavily scented with another person`s perfume, you can put it back on the rail and pickup another one. With Q you have to have what they send and their staff obviously vary in how rigorously they check something has been worn or not.

It was said many many years on a gold show presented by Julian B,that all earrings are thrown back in the melting pot.used earrings are never sold on.
All these years later it seems the story has altered.
As if any of it were true anyway!!!!!!!

I really think QVC's days are numbered. How they can even contemplate sending out used stuff when they bang on about quality is beyond me. Clearly the "quality" part is not so important to them. As for "value," I'm not so sure about that either. Convenience? Well, Amazon is convenient too.

I don't think Qs days are numbered, yes you can find stuff elsewhere and often cheaper but it's the presenter that make the difference to some people. Yes, we gripe on here but some people just don't agree with us and are happy to watch and be taken in by the hype.

I agree too that QVCs days are numbered, I think QVC eventually will either have to evolve or dissolve. It's only a matter of time that the new generation of shoppers will pay for QVCs overheads via dearer products and expensive p&p, especially when the choice of Internet shops is growing and growing, all with free p&p, money back guarentee, excellent delivery service and excellent customer service.

People have been saying that for years on here...QVC are a very profitable company...so can't see why you think their days are numbered?

These days more than ever companies live or die by their customer service. With stiff competition from Amazon and many other excellent online retailers QVC really needs to up their game. Their prices are ridiculous and to go sending out used items to customers is frankly insulting. The world is a different place to when QVC started. Then people shopped from catalogues and adverts in newspapers. Now people have so much more choice. Yes QVC do have a strong cashflow but they have been hit hard by competition. Why do you think we've seen the rise of the aggressive "hard sell?" Usually the glossier the presentation and the harder the sell, the more desperate the company.

Latest posts

Back