Postage - a solution?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Call me a genius - or sad - but I had an epiphany! No, seriously, I know that, whilst delivery is quite often accurate, it is an addition to the cost of one's order and may, consequently, deter one from making a purchase. How about, at the beginning of the year, putting aside an amount of money to cover postage of any orders? This could be for just QVC orders, or all online orders. Would it make any difference?

No! I buy very few items now from Q and have better things to spend money on than stored up cash for Q's extortionate p&p. It has always been a major consideration anyway and would rather shop at Amazon.

I think it`s Q and not the customer who should be finding solutions to their terrible postage charges.
Yesterday I ordered 10 kg of washing powder and 5 litres of fabric softener and the delivery cost was £3.95. Q charge more than that for a pair of earrings !

I think Louise66 if I put aside that money at the start of the year to pay for Q's postage, it would only encourage me to look elsewhere for what I want to buy. I order so much less from them these days as I think they are in a lot of cases charging far too much. If you think it would work for you then who am I to argue, we all have to do what feels right for us.

Hi,

i dont know why they dont do click-and-collect from collectplus or similar.

Cheers,
karen

I don't really 'see' the P&P separately anymore - I just add it to the item cost and then decide if the total is what I am happy to pay.

As an aside, I do think Q should have been able to sort their logistics by now so that they are able to send two different items to a customer in one packet... Amazon, John Lewis, Debenhams etc can all do it.

It is the continuation of their insistence on shipping each line individually that is so costly to us.

IMHO - As long as there are folk willing to pay excessive P & P, then Q will duly charge one and all.

Remember that mantra - 'Never give a sucker an even break'.

Q is slow to change and has the turning circle of the QE2 - and as long as they champion the 30mbg as their USP, they will offset this with the high P & P tax.

Hey - I'm the customer so they should be pussyfooting round me, not the other way round. I'm not so mad keen to give them my money that I'd make a special plan. Like Tiddlywinks, I include the price of p&p in the actual price and if it's still a bargain, I'll buy.

I agree with Tiddywinks, I think of P&P as the total cost of anything bought from QVC.

I put a thread up about the 10% increase in profits for QVC UK the first quarter in 2014. As long as they are making money and people buy they will not change the postage and the way they do things. Look at the high street, Debenhams have sales and discontinues every month it seems because they are doing badly, even M&S have 20% off cosmetics every few months and sales of some thing every month. The only reason is to get people buying from them, if they were doing well these would not happen. The same is true of QVC UK, as long as its doing well we the customer will no mercy concerning postage.

IMHO - As long as there are folk willing to pay excessive P & P, then Q will duly charge one and all.

Exactly! The other week someone posted on the FB page that their mum bought six tops and postage was £x, now if they had said that she didn't buy them due to the postage charge maybe QVC would take a bit of notice.

Like other posters I look at the cost including p&p before deciding to buy and also consider the likelihood of needing the MBG.

I'd jump at the opportunity to pay a lump sum up front for an annual or quarterley "season ticket" offering no postage for the rest of that time period. I still buy a fair amount from QVC (though less than I did). Mind you, Shop! did this and HSE offered a daily capped postage rate and QVC might argue that it contributed to their demise. Shop!'s annual p&p certainly helped me to scoop up some real bargains in the final weeks, and I also had a % of the pre-paid postage scheme refunded for the unused months after they closed down.

From an ecological view point the packaging waste and carbon footprint from sending every blessed item separately is so dated and I'd suggest it should preclude them from winning future CS awards. Afterall, CS isn't just about pleasant telephone manner, it should also judge every aspect of the purchasing process.

The upfront payment you mention might tempt me Akimbo. I have 2 deliveries a week of my groceries from Tesco, so it worked in my favour to pay 3 months up front delivery charges to get an overall reduction of what it costs. I think this is shortly going to change to 6 months in advance which will make it even cheaper. Like it has been said though, as long as people keep buying from QVC it is not likely to change. They really should think more outside the box though, they seem to be stuck in a time warp compared to other companies. This week I ordered three items of clothing from Debenhams with no postage as over £50, two didn't fit so went back free postage and no quibble!

I think Louise66 if I put aside that money at the start of the year to pay for Q's postage, it would only encourage me to look elsewhere for what I want to buy. I order so much less from them these days as I think they are in a lot of cases charging far too much. If you think it would work for you then who am I to argue, we all have to do what feels right for us.

No, Pandora, I wouldn't do it either. It was just a thought which some shoppers may find helpful, economically. Personally, I would see a stash of money solely for postage as - and it probably isn't the case - money wasted. It might be a good thing, however, if it would encourage you to explore other avenues, to save money!

Sorry if I misinterpreted your first post Louise66, maybe Q ought to offer an online customer suggestion box so we can all give our ideas re postage, not that I think that would change anything. They seem to ignore the moans that are regularly posted on facebook. As customers we can only vote with our feet and I am using Amazon,ebay etc much more than I used to because of postage costs, that's probably why I keep getting easy pay voucher codes in the post from Q, trying to encourage me to buy more.

I have an easy solution QVC become like the GOOD retailers out their and charge one P&P per order NOT per item simples! I wonder if their is some way of getting their Carbon foot print looked at as because of their insistence on sending items out individually and making a fortune off us, just think of the packaging, the petrol to transport all these packages, i.e. I ordered 4 items at the same time, the courier delivers these 4 packages over 3 consecutive days when if sent out in the same way as all the others only 1 trip would have been needed, there must be someone out there that can tackle this from a green standpoint!

Last edited:
I don't really 'see' the P&P separately anymore - I just add it to the item cost and then decide if the total is what I am happy to pay.

As an aside, I do think Q should have been able to sort their logistics by now so that they are able to send two different items to a customer in one packet... Amazon, John Lewis, Debenhams etc can all do it.

It is the continuation of their insistence on shipping each line individually that is so costly to us.

Hubby shops a lot from Amazon, multiple items from the same vendor even, and very rarely is anything sent in the same package. He ordered 4 packs of pencils and each was delivered separately though from the same vendor (same address, etc.) so much packing and packing materials. At least most could go into recycling pick-up. But it felt so wasteful. I don't see how anyone makes a profit who sells on Amazon if they send out purchases in this way.

The market place sellers on amazon for items such as second hand books and music etc factor some profit in to their pandp costs... So 1p paperback books usually have £2.80 pandp added to them to give the seller a little profit..

Mind you amazon's amazing free pandp on pretty much anything (Super saver delivery) was restricted to orders over £10 only recently. Still fab though!
And so many other retailers send out loyal customers codes for free pandp every so often - or percentage discounts...

I have never bought much from qvc at all - use it much more for window shopping and occasional tsv or items I could literally only buy there (and will look at eBay and do google shopping searches first to check!)

I get the impression qvc plays down bargains (because they don't offer them!!) and plays up the usp like the 30day mbg and brand name and celeb endorsements etc first. You've only got to look at some of the technology offerings (Apple for example!) to see many viewers seem happy (or aren't savvy enough or just trust qvc bc it makes out it's your friend?!) to see that people will pay extra for what we're sold as a great bundle.

Ps. Can I ask, IF I ever bought a top from qvc (it's a big if!!) and got it home to try for size and it didn't fit or suit me, have I then got to pay the return postage as well as my original postage?! Surely they include a return label? Sorry if I've misunderstood. I've only ever either kept an item (not clothing) or it's been a biggie where I heard them say they would collect it from you to return...

Ps. Can I ask, IF I ever bought a top from qvc (it's a big if!!) and got it home to try for size and it didn't fit or suit me, have I then got to pay the return postage as well as my original postage?! Surely they include a return label? Sorry if I've misunderstood. I've only ever either kept an item (not clothing) or it's been a biggie where I heard them say they would collect it from you to return...

No you pay your own postage to return. Only if it arrived damaged would they refund your postage. Large items over a certain weight(I believe 10 kgs weight they collect from you free), but you have to wait in for whenever they return. They have started a leave in a named shop and Hermes collect it but it will cost £3.50 and it seems this method can take up to 28 days to arrive back with QVC and then you wait on a refund.

QVC US do send a pre paid label in the parcel but deduced $6.50 from your refund which will not include the original shipping charge.

Latest posts

Back