Perfume

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Itchy

Registered Shopper
:happy:I have just ordered my second bottle of the Liz Earle fragrance from QVC website. It is on two easy pays, luckily. It seems to be a love it or hate it perfume, but I love it. What I was wondering is, does perfume go off? Two years ago I was bought a bottle of Madmoiselle by Coco and I have hardly used any of it. Now although it seems to smell the same, I am afraid to put it on in case it goes 'funny' on me. I know there are some really knowledgeable beauty buffs on here - can someone tell me? Thanks.

Yes perfume can go off.

The secret is:

Keep it in the box
In a cool dark place. Not in direct sunlight.

Depending on the natural oils used, some turn quicker than others. But perfume can mature and some even smell better(on beauty boards loads saying Creeds need to be matured for about 2 years). The first thing to go in perfume is the top notes they can fade so you hit the middle and base notes quicker.

I have a bottle of Caron Fleurs de Rocaille from 1960 which is still fabulous. The top notes are a little fainter but still there.

Try it and if it smells alright then spritz away.

Perfume is so personal and the same one can smell different on different people.

I'm not keen on the Liz Earle one but I don't like her body wash or body lotion either. There's something in there I don't like. It's not offensive but it makes me feel a bit headachey if you know what I mean.

I do like the Elemis perfume although it's certainly not my usual choice. My favourite smell is rose and that influences my perfume choices. I like true rose fragrances either pure or heady .. Jo Malone Red Roses and Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose and Une Rose are my favourites and I have worn them for years and never tire of them.

I have never bought perfume from QVC and I wouldn't buy a perfume I haven't tried several times and fallen in love with.

I love perfume, currently wearing the Prada Iris one that was a Christmas present. I have the Liz Earle and tho I really like it I find that it does not last on me. I keep my perfume in the boxes if possible and use them rather than keeping them for "best". I see that Prada have a new rose fragrance and am wondering if any of you lovely people have tried it.

Thanks guys. It is in the box and also the Chanel bag, not in sunlight, so I will chance it. Hubby has got the hump, as he bought it after me after me continually asking for some for Christmas and then I was saving it for high days and holidays which meant I hardly used it. I too, would never buy perfume without smelling it, with or without a 30 mbg. I was sent a sample from Liz Earle when hers came out, so I knew I liked it before shelling out on a full bottle. The Chanel one I had tried loads of times in the shop first.

Don't save it for best Itchy. Smell gorgeous every day!! :wink:

Haven't tried the Prada Rose perfume but my best mate wears the original one and that's lovely.

I go to a wonderful perfumery near Victoria when I want to find something new. It's fabulous and sells all the classics like Creed and Acqua di Parma and modern perfumes you just don't see elsewhere. You tell them what you like and don't like and they give you about 10 to try. You then whittle that down to three or four. Then they give you samples to go away with. Such a treat!!

The guy who runs it is lovely and his favourite perfume ever is Lipstick Rose which is certainly one of my favourites. My partner loves it but it's because it's the perfume I wore when we first met.

On the perfume forums people are often on the hunt for old ones that were discontinued years ago.
Quite often, even if they've gone a bit dark & smell a bit different in the bottle, once you've worn them for a few minutes the smell is exactly the same as it used to be.

Personally think it's a marketing ploy telling you to chuck them after a couple of years.

I keep my perfumes in a large plastic box in the bottom of the wardrobe. I have some knocking on 10+ years & they still smell exactly the same when I use them. I think as long as you keep them out of the light its fine.

I've got a bottle of Sisley perfume that was a gift from my sister and is very special. I keep it in the fridge, I was worried at first but it's keeping perfectly.:sun:

I'm not keen on the Liz Earle one but I don't like her body wash or body lotion either. There's something in there I don't like. It's not offensive but it makes me feel a bit headachey if you know what I mean.

I do like the Elemis perfume although it's certainly not my usual choice. My favourite smell is rose and that influences my perfume choices. I like true rose fragrances either pure or heady .. Jo Malone Red Roses and Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose and Une Rose are my favourites and I have worn them for years and never tire of them.

I have never bought perfume from QVC and I wouldn't buy a perfume I haven't tried several times and fallen in love with.

I agree with everything you've said Tinkerbelle. We obviously have the same taste as far as fragrance goes. I too love Jo Malone Red Roses (I bought another bottle yesterday) but I have never heard of Frederic Malle. I'll have to investigate!!

I agree with everything you've said Tinkerbelle. We obviously have the same taste as far as fragrance goes. I too love Jo Malone Red Roses (I bought another bottle yesterday) but I have never heard of Frederic Malle. I'll have to investigate!!

Oh Malle!!!

Le Parfume de Le Therese was created for the Edmond Roudnitska's wife and not released until his death by this son also a perfumer. He created some of the greatest perfumes ever(google his name).

Iris Poudre
L'Eau d'Hiver
Noire Epices
Une Fleur de Cassie

Are all ones I own.

Many rave over Muse Ravageur, but I wasn't impressed.

Lipstick Rose is very sweet and slightly powdery to start with then the roses really come through. I have a Rose in my garden, May Queen, which is slightly spicy almost peppery and the perfume reminds of that. Une Rose is earthy. Like picking roses in the rain or planting roses. So you have the Rose perfume but there's a fresh earthy background.

Paul Smith Rose is lovely too. I also like Rose absolut by Annick Goutal (not sure on the old spelling there!)

But I think the Jo Malone one is the perfect pure rose perfume for me.

Have you tried the L'Occitane ones? The Rose ones I mean. I'm not blown away by any of them.

i like the liz earle perfume but only because its a bit of a rehash of some of my old favourites diorella and even ysl "y" whch is as cheap as chips now on the internet and last all day which on me liz earles dosent..

its interesting to find similar perfumes at a knock down price maybe a new thread....

Oh Y gorgeous elegant feminine. Wish you could still get the edp( I have it and the parfum only a 7ml bottle bought from The Perfume Shop long ago).

Rose if possible try Annick Goutal Rose Absolue or Rose Splendid(sp).
Caron Rose is also gorgeous.
Guerlain Nahema is also a rose.

Lipstick Rose is really like old fashion lipsticks, Chanel's lipsticks always had a rose smell they don't anymore.:down:

Chanel in the exclusifs range No18 is a rose violet. Now Chanel if you phone the boutiques are really good at giving samples 2ml sprays. Selfridges,Harrods and Frasers Glasgow are the only stores to have boutiques and the Exclusifs in their stores. But stand alone boutiques do the fragrances as well. I cannot wear No5, for some reason it turns into a plastic bag smell on me. But I can wear No22 and Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie are wonderful. I own the 28 La Pausa which is an iris based fragrance.

Penhaligons also do Elizabethian Rose(not sure if they discountinued it though? Think it is still around).

Jo Malone are bringing out Wild Bluebell in the next few months. The company is owned by Estee Lauder and Jo herself is starting from stratch again with a new company. She cannot use the name Jo Malone as a brand so it will be under a different name, the first fragrance is out next year. There is an article on Basenotes about it, but I cannot remember the name of her new company off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Paul Smith Rose is lovely too. I also like Rose absolut by Annick Goutal (not sure on the old spelling there!)

But I think the Jo Malone one is the perfect pure rose perfume for me.

Have you tried the L'Occitane ones? The Rose ones I mean. I'm not blown away by any of them.

I'm not that keen on the Paul Smith one to be honest. On me it smells a bit artificial and is headachey.

I have tried L'Occitane Rose 4 Reines but again it's not a true rose fragrance. I do like the L'Occitane Peony EDT but it doesn't last on me.

Oh Y gorgeous elegant feminine. Wish you could still get the edp( I have it and the parfum only a 7ml bottle bought from The Perfume Shop long ago).

Rose if possible try Annick Goutal Rose Absolue or Rose Splendid(sp).
Caron Rose is also gorgeous.
Guerlain Nahema is also a rose.

Lipstick Rose is really like old fashion lipsticks, Chanel's lipsticks always had a rose smell they don't anymore.:down:

Sorry I don't know how to edit quotes but you're absolutely right it smells like my godmother's Guerlain lippie when I was a child. Not that it's why I wear it but lots of men love it.

Did you know that floral fragrances make women appear slimmer?? There was some study or other a few years ago where it was proven that a woman smelling of flowers is perceived to be slimmer by both men and women.

I'm not that keen on the Paul Smith one to be honest. On me it smells a bit artificial and is headachey.

I have tried L'Occitane Rose 4 Reines but again it's not a true rose fragrance. I do like the L'Occitane Peony EDT but it doesn't last on me.

I was bought the Paul Smith one as a gift and on me it does smell lovely but more artificial than Jo Malone.

I liked the Peony more than the Rose ones but same on me it just didn't last.

I recently tried the Pear and Freesia by Jo Malone and the first time I loved it but the second time I couldn't smell it at all.

An old one that I liked was YSL Babydoll. Not sure you can get that anymore. I loved Paris too when it first came out.

Actually I have liked a lot of YSL perfumed over the years. There was one called Champagne but they had to change the name. Can't remember what they changed it to.

I like the Liz Earle fragrance but it doesn't last - citrus scents in general can be tricky but the LE is the worst I've ever had. I can't stand wearing rose, it makes me feel like I've bitten off a piece of soap so I always avoid perfumes with rose-notes which is a shame as a lot of them do smell nice. I mostly use perfume oils as I've never found a perfume yet that doesn't make me sneeze on application and I always gravitate towards spicy/musky/vanilla notes. Carnation is one of my all-time favourite notes, especially in combination with sandalwood.

I've always wanted to try L'Heure Bleue but I'm a bit wary of the neroli.

Latest posts

Back