Oreck

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Several years ago,I bought an oreck vacuum cleaner, and even convinced my mum to purchase one, from QVC. Within a couple of months, I had to return it as it was faulty. The replacement was not much better and I intended to return it for a refund but, due to some personal problems I was having, I never got around to it.
I do have boxers, but the presenters always say how great it is on dog hair, so that was the main reason I bought it. Now, the upright doesn't work and the cylinder vac works, but not too effectively.
Am I alone here, or are there others out there who also feel that the oreck is not the best thing since sliced bread as far as vacuum cleaners are concerned?
I think if I buy another, I will go back to a dyson.

I`m sorry to hear you were unlucky with your Orecks. I`ve been using one since QVC started selling them. (1999 I think):) It`s still working perfectly in spite of having to deal with three long haired German Sherherds for most of this time

Never had a oreck (but like the fact it's light-weight). I would never ever buy a dyson again, very temperamental and only lasted a couple of years. I bought a Henry (with carpet brush attachment) , it's the cheapest and the best.

have the dyson all floors. love my dyson with a passion. the best vacum i have ever used and they come with a 5 year gurantee.

You're not alone - I agree with you. I brought my oreck 2 years ago as my dyson was too heavy to carry upstairs. It doesent lift up my pile and I have to go over the same area a couple of times to pick up small bits. In respect of the canister - it may well be able to pick up a bowling ball easily but cant pick up bits from my carpet with such ease !

I bought the top of the range Oreck about a year ago. I find the canister to be a real nuisance and quite uncomfortable to use. I prefer to be able to pull out the hose as I'm using the normal cleaner when I see something that needs it. To have to make a concerted effort to get the canister out when I've already vacuumed is a pain. I'm also tired of hearing them say that the Oreck is so special because the bag fillsfrom above! I've never owned a bagged cleaner that fills from anywhere else so they're really out of order there. They also keep stressing how light the Oreck is. Yes it is light, but only because there are no convenient on board tools, also it really does not clean up to the edges as well as some other vacuums. All in all, this is just an o.k. cleaner and certainly not worth the exorbitant prices they are charging.

Am I glad you posted this thread!! I have been using a Dyson Animal for years as I have a very fussy cat who will not be brushed under ANY circumstances and so I have cat hair everywhere!! The Dyson is so heavy to carry upstairs and, as I have 2 sets of stairs in my house, I have been looking at an Oreck just to save my poor old back!!

Don't think I'll be bothering now as it seems that my Dyson is the best thing for cat hair and less expensive - it would be cheaper to buy another Dyson Animal and keep it upstairs!!

Sounds like a good idea Catkins, I've had my Dyson for 5 years and it's still great. I've got a Yorkie and a very dusty parrot! he creates this very fine dust when he flies, but when I vac the container is always full of white dust. In my mind it is one of the best vacs out.

I had an Oreck but to be honest I found it very noisey and not that much different from an ordinary Vac, I now use a Small Vac downstairs and A Cordless GTech upstairs which seems to cope with the Cat Hair and Cat Litter that tends to get around.

I did find Oreck overpriced for my expectations, I also found I couldn't use a Dyson any better either because of the weight.
Ah well sad soul that I am.

:(

I think it's luck of the drawer. My friend has had an Oreck for about 10 years and never had a problem with it. I got mine in April and it's the best cleaner I've ever had. I've had a Panasonic, an Electrolux and a Dyson and for various reasons (too heavy, too powerful for laminated floors or kept breaking down) I wouldn't bother with them again. The good thing with QVC is that at least I could try before buying with my Oreck - after having so many cleaners that I was unhappy with I didn't want to make another costly mistake!

I hated my Dyson with a passion - heavy and not great at cleaning.

Have a Miele now. I read the reviews on Amazon before I bought. They also get good reviews in Which?.

Latest posts

Back