Nothern Nights Set of 2 Bedding TSV 21/09/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm going to sound like a right old bag here but why are all these Northern Nights items 'wash at 40°C'? Since when did 100% cotton bedding get washed at 40°C? I like to give things like bedding and towels a proper wash at 60°C or hotter, but nothing nowadays suggests you do so. It's either some greenwashing (they'd really like us all to go down to the brook and bang our washing on some stones, rather than have the temerity to heat up some water and use detergent), or it's the use of substandard fabrics which cannot withstand a hot wash with full agitation. Either way, it's annoying.

i wash my normal all cotton on 60 degrees but not my nn flannel as i dont feel northern nights is the same quality as the high street quality brands. the tsv is a set i bought last winter on e bay in a gold colour thats wierd. its very nice and soft

Years ago washing powders consisted mainly of soap and so a hot wash was needed for things like cotton. These days they`re full of bleachy type chemicals, even the non bio ones, surfactants and stain removers plus other additives and are meant to wash better at lower temperatures. Plus they sell it as an eco benefit too. Of course things like eco egg or green washing powders/liquids don`t wash to the same effect so a higher temperature might be needed.
I know some people say a higher temperature kills off bacteria better but tbh most of the modern day powders contain enough bleach additives to kill off bacteria at 40% and biological powders actually contain bacteria which eats away at dirt and stains.

Years ago washing powders consisted mainly of soap and so a hot wash was needed for things like cotton. These days they`re full of bleachy type chemicals, even the non bio ones, surfactants and stain removers plus other additives and are meant to wash better at lower temperatures. Plus they sell it as an eco benefit too. Of course things like eco egg or green washing powders/liquids don`t wash to the same effect so a higher temperature might be needed.
I know some people say a higher temperature kills off bacteria better but tbh most of the modern day powders contain enough bleach additives to kill off bacteria at 40% and biological powders actually contain bacteria which eats away at dirt and stains.

Have a look at this, and prepare to be horrified.

http://www.hygienecouncil.org/Portals/1/pdf/Media_The_Truth_About_Germs_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Boffy, your gold colour NN bedding, was it a different colour from the ones available inTSV, or was it the latte but looked more of a gold colour, IYKWIM? The reason is, I would quite like a bedding set with gold undertones, as I have a cream bedroom with some gold accessories. I have a latte coloured cozee home set but it's too cool and beigey rather than warm and goldy.

Boffy, your gold colour NN bedding, was it a different colour from the ones available inTSV, or was it the latte but looked more of a gold colour, IYKWIM? The reason is, I would quite like a bedding set with gold undertones, as I have a cream bedroom with some gold accessories. I have a latte coloured cozee home set but it's too cool and beigey rather than warm and goldy.

no its definately an rich cream base with dark gold swirls. you have the same colour bedroom as me. gold walls, curtains and bedding with bits of cream. none of the colours are in the tsv. i must have got a colour that they are not featuring for some reason. its a shame because its very very good quality. i have used it all winter and cant recommend it enough so soft and lofty and snuggly. i also have the posh pillow cases with the deep edging i notice with this set you get the houswife ones. the edge ones are extra.

very pleased to have got this

i think bedding has elastic in the fitted sheets does not help but they could use better elastic. nn cotton seems quite thin and washing it may harm the fine fibres. in hospital the bedding is not finer high thread counts and must be more durable so can be boiled

I'm going to sound like a right old bag here but why are all these Northern Nights items 'wash at 40°C'? Since when did 100% cotton bedding get washed at 40°C? I like to give things like bedding and towels a proper wash at 60°C or hotter, but nothing nowadays suggests you do so. It's either some greenwashing (they'd really like us all to go down to the brook and bang our washing on some stones, rather than have the temerity to heat up some water and use detergent), or it's the use of substandard fabrics which cannot withstand a hot wash with full agitation. Either way, it's annoying.

Is the tsv not flannel, not 100% cotton?

i think the thread count for nn flannel is quite low before they brush it. but its usually quite good from portugal. marks, laura ashley and john lewis do some nice flanel but its dearer than qvc sets

Northern Nights Set of 2 Scroll & Plain Reversible 4 Piece Flannel Duvet Sets
Item Number: 804251

Single QVC Price £69 Todays Special Value Price £57

Double QVC Price £84 Todays Special Value Price £69

King Size QVC Price £99 Todays Special Value Price £81

Super King Size QVC Price £108 Todays Special Value Price £90

This brushed cotton, flannel duvet set features two reversible, four-piece bedding sets, each with a duvet cover, two housewife pillowcases and a fitted sheet - one in an elegant scroll pattern and one in block colours so that you can mix and match for a variety of stylish looks for your bedroom. Stay warm and cosy on chilly nights with this versatile, great-value bedding collection from Northern Nights.

Mix it up - the duvet cover and housewife pillowcases in the printed set feature a scroll design on the front with a light colour reverse, and the fitted sheet comes in a plain light colour. The duvet cover and housewife pillowcases in the plain set feature a solid dark colour on the front with a light colour reverse and the fitted sheet comes in a plain dark colour, making both sets great to mix and match.

Colours to suit your home - the fully reversible sets come in Latte and Silver colour options if you're looking for neutral shades to update your bedroom or Duck Egg Blue and Soft Rose if you want a pop of pretty colour. What's more you can even keep one set for yourself and treat a friend or family member to the other.

Fully reversible
100% cotton brushed flannel
Machine washable at 40C
Top tip: make sure you wash before use to remove lint from the manufacturing process

Contains:

2 x duvet covers
2 x deep fitted sheets
4 x housewife pillowcases

Colours available:

Latte
Duck Egg Blue
Silver
Soft Rose

Measurements:

Duvet cover:

Single: 140cm x 200cm (55" x 79")
Double: 200cm x 200cm (79" x 79")
King: 220cm x 220cm (91" x 87")
Super King: 260cm x 230cm (102" x 90")

Fitted sheet:

Single: 91cm x 191cm x 38cm (36" x 75" x 15")
Double: 137cm x 191cm x 38cm (54" x 75" x 15")
King: 153cm x 200cm x 38cm (60" x 80" x 15")
Super King: 183cm x 203cm x 38cm (72" x 80" x 15")

Housewife pillowcases

50cm x 75cm (20" x 30")

The price above will initially display the lowest and highest priced options. The price for your choice will be shown once you select your preferred option.

Behind the brand
Make your home a sanctuary with luxurious, all-natural bed linens, cosy feather and down duvets and pillows made especially for QVC. Northern Nights surrounds you in premium comfort, transforming your home into a soothing retreat.

All measurements are approximate

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.804251

Latest posts

Back