Not such a bargain, then?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Grumpy

Registered Shopper
We have often remarked how it is possible to get things cheaper elsewhere than on QVC, but I think this just about takes the biscuit, or seasonal mince pie.

I was channel flicking when I stopped out of curiosity at one of those dedicated advertorial channels. It was selling Perricone products. A succession of improbably perfectly complexioned mature ladies, probably done over with the modern moving photoshop equivalent of the old Hollywood trick of being photographed through gauze, were advertising a set of 4 products. For £39.99 plus £5 p&p. It looked familiar, so I traced it back to QVC, where, unless I am badly mistaken, the same set, under the reference number 208714, is for sale for over £160 plus £7 p&p.

Does anyone else have examples of " sold on telly advertorial" in the USA, which I know is the source of many QVC products, which fetch up on QVC at vastly higher prices?

not suprised i mean the l'occitane tsv has three handcreams. qvc are truly an inigma!

We have often remarked how it is possible to get things cheaper elsewhere than on QVC, but I think this just about takes the biscuit, or seasonal mince pie.

I was channel flicking when I stopped out of curiosity at one of those dedicated advertorial channels. It was selling Perricone products. A succession of improbably perfectly complexioned mature ladies, probably done over with the modern moving photoshop equivalent of the old Hollywood trick of being photographed through gauze, were advertising a set of 4 products. For £39.99 plus £5 p&p. It looked familiar, so I traced it back to QVC, where, unless I am badly mistaken, the same set, under the reference number 208714, is for sale for over £160 plus £7 p&p.

Does anyone else have examples of " sold on telly advertorial" in the USA, which I know is the source of many QVC products, which fetch up on QVC at vastly higher prices?

which channel was it?

nope not the same sizes or same products

https://www.subd.co.uk/perricone-uk-kits the £39.99 one is the one on the left & the Q one is all full sizes & different configuration of products

nope not the same sizes or same products

https://www.subd.co.uk/perricone-uk-kits the £39.99 one is the one on the left & the Q one is all full sizes & different configuration of products

Please check again, as one of us has got it wrong. You sent a link to two sets, the one on the right has eight products and is obviously a bigger, better kit.

But the QVC 208714 seems to be showing the much smaller, 4 piece kit on the left of your pictures.

I might be completely wrong... as I am not over familiar with products at the £160 end of the spectrum. Thank goodness for Superdrug and Boots.

which channel was it?

I don't know, Louise. I was nodding off on the sofa and playing with the remote control. It was in the section on the Sky menu where the advertising channels live....you will see if you browse that they have a lot of products which appear also on QVC, like the H2O. I sometimes watch them for a few minutes in awed fascination, at the utter devotion to enthusiastic salesmanship the actors who front these programmes have. I actually prefer them to the 'have you seen my twitter comments/read my book/seen pictures of my wedding and dog' waffle that we get from QVC presenters. But I would never actually order anything from them as at least with Q you have a British customer service helpline if anything goes wrong.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I only had to mention American channels, and the adverts in this forum immediately changed to American ones. I am being offered a beaded neck sweater for 12 dollars. So that's where those wretched embellishments come from.

Maybe I should mention Vente Privee again, in the hope of getting adverts of something very sophisticated, in black, as worn by stylish Parisiennes. Pauses for a moment to think how would QVC be if it bought its products from Europe. Had vision of DF trying to look like someone who smoked a Gauloise while hanging out in nightclubs with Jane Birkin, and discussing her books with some Left Bank intellectuals, and my brain blew up.

Please check again, as one of us has got it wrong. You sent a link to two sets, the one on the right has eight products and is obviously a bigger, better kit.

But the QVC 208714 seems to be showing the much smaller, 4 piece kit on the left of your pictures.

I might be completely wrong... as I am not over familiar with products at the £160 end of the spectrum. Thank goodness for Superdrug and Boots.

There's a shopping channel on Sky that sells a lot of what QVC does, it's just American infomercials and yes I've seen the Perricone one too, they sell it for less than what QVC does, or it did the last time I caught it whilst channel hopping.

The set on the right hand side "Sub D 90 day Deluxe Kit" is 3 x £49.99 payments, if you add it to basket it gives a total of £149.97 plus £4.95 p&p The parent company in the UK is Guthy Renker so it'll feature on the same Sky infomercial channels as Wen, Pro Active and Sheer Cover (653, 657, possibly 676)

Even the £39.99 set ties you into a repeat delivery which is worth watching out for with Guthy Renker. Often if you opt for an identical set (if offered) the price will be higher. However I remeber Donna ordered a Wen collection and then immediately cancelled the suto-delivery and had no difficulty doing so or being sent products she didn't want. (Correct me Donna if I've remembered this wrong)

This isn't a problem with Guthy Renker but there are "too good to be true" offers on the web try an expensive face cream for just the cost of the p&p (initially)
The trouble is, in the small print, you're agreeing to an on-going supply of the product at whatever inflated price you agreed to by requesting the trial pot.

Guthy Renker used to have good January sales; I used to stock up with Wen for the year before it was sold on QVC. So if you see a good offer don't be put off ordering from them but be aware that some items are on a rolling delivery program and others not.

Latest posts

Back