Mr Max - synthetic heaven

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Crinkly

Registered Shopper
Just what I need, heading into the hottest months of the year:

96% polyester, 4% elastane. Sticky, sweaty, unbreathable and potentially smelly.

:mysmilie_468:

Anyone else prefer natural fabrics in the heat?

If NI ever had any heat I would think the same!

Freezing cold here this weekend, had to bring fleece out again for sitting around (and the heating is on)

Just what I need, heading into the hottest months of the year:

96% polyester, 4% elastane. Sticky, sweaty, unbreathable and potentially smelly.

:mysmilie_468:

Anyone else prefer natural fabrics in the heat?

Have you ever worn any of their clothes?

I feel the same. I wish that the search facility on QVC allowed a search on fabric composition. I need at least 90% breathable in the summer. It takes such an age to weed out the polyester when looking for summer clothes.

Although at least QVC does state the fabric composition when you get into the detail. Ideal World only occasionally does. I emailed to ask then why the didn't on ALL items of clothing. I got some odd standard letter saying they were sorry the item wasn't what I wanted (there was no specific item) but that if the quality was less than I wanted I could send it back.

I wear it.

I wash it.

Repeat.

I never iron.

Ever.

Polyester is my friend!! :mysmilie_17:

Have you ever worn any of their clothes?

I won't buy anything that is 100% synthetic. I find them cold and clammy in the winter, sweaty and clingy in the summer. If an item has some viscose or cotton, or other natural fibre, then I would happily buy.

Mr Max actually has a rather lovely crochet cardigan that I was considering - then I saw the fabric. No way. That synthetic static cling is not a good look.

I won't buy anything that is 100% synthetic.

Thought so! I have 3 of their tops and never had a problem with them the material is so soft. I personally find cotton and linen awful especially when I'm working with the horses in the summer cotton is just awful, sticky and hot! It's funny how we all find different materials have different effects but having actually worn some Mr Max I've never got sweaty or clammy wearing them.

I put my leather bags away in the summer as I don't like to touch leather when it's hot. It's straw cotton or linen preferably in the summer months. I'll be putting a large cotton throw on my leather sofa this week which will be there until the end of Sept.

I also wish that there were more unlined jackets to choose from on QVC and on the high street. I find it so disappointing to see a lovely cotton or linen summer jacket and discover that it is lined - and lined with polyester.

I can manage polyester in winter and have a lovely dress that I had been thinking would do fine for a wedding I am going to in July. Even now, not into summer, I find it unpleasant to touch to pack away as I am rotating my wardrobe for summer.

Have been misleading you! Realised that i do have some polyester - a couple of really nice maxi dresses I bought last year off eBay. They were incredibly cheap, so I thought I would take the risk. HATED them - until I put a full length cotton shift between me and the horrible staticky fabric.

I do agree about the wash n wear aspect though.

I won't buy anything that is 100% synthetic.

Thought so! I have 3 of their tops and never had a problem with them the material is so soft. I personally find cotton and linen awful especially when I'm working with the horses in the summer cotton is just awful, sticky and hot! It's funny how we all find different materials have different effects but having actually worn some Mr Max I've never got sweaty or clammy wearing them.

As a matter of interest, what is the sizing like? Thanks

I put my leather bags away in the summer as I don't like to touch leather when it's hot. It's straw cotton or linen preferably in the summer months. I'll be putting a large cotton throw on my leather sofa this week which will be there until the end of Sept.

I also wish that there were more unlined jackets to choose from on QVC and on the high street. I find it so disappointing to see a lovely cotton or linen summer jacket and discover that it is lined - and lined with polyester.

I can manage polyester in winter and have a lovely dress that I had been thinking would do fine for a wedding I am going to in July. Even now, not into summer, I find it unpleasant to touch to pack away as I am rotating my wardrobe for summer.

I know it's not a favourite at the mo but M&S has quite a few unlined jackets, it's so funny because the reason I noticed is because I can't stand and won't wear unlined jackets, I do find it interesting why we all like different things as I wonder why lol!

Have been misleading you! Realised that i do have some polyester - a couple of really nice maxi dresses I bought last year off eBay. They were incredibly cheap, so I thought I would take the risk. HATED them - until I put a full length cotton shift between me and the horrible staticky fabric.

I do agree about the wash n wear aspect though.

It's so funny I purchased three linen dresses last year, quite expensive ones but hated them so sold them on eBay I only wore one once and that was enough if it wasn't for the price I paid they would have gone in the bin. Give me an Ingenue dress or similar any day of the week.

As a matter of interest, what is the sizing like? Thanks

I would say go with your normal size, oh no I sound like JF, I think they are a bit generous but not overly so, I like my clothes a slightly looser fit as I can't stand clingy clothes so my normal size is perfect, I was at the supermarket earlier and saw a woman with a t-shirt on and her largish tummy showing in all its glory as the cotton material clung to it, it's not a look I would like to be seen with bless her, the material is silky soft and no static lol! I was shocked to see and feel the fabric when they arrived as for the price I assumed it wouldn't be that good but it amazed me as for the feel and touch I would have expected to pay double.

How long has Mr Max been selling on QVC? I bought 3 Susan Graver plain turtle-neck tops when she first appeared in the UK and have washed and worn umpteen times and they still look as good as new and they're ideal for layering in winter. They were about £22 when I bought them, but her prices have just about doubled now. So maybe if Mr Max is new, now's the time to buy because they sure as anything won't stay at the prices they were in the beginning. Look at how Kim & Co prices have risen, too.

It's the new crimpelene (60s invention -awful). I much prefer to wear cotton or linen, hate this trend for clothing having 'stretch' ability.

I know it's not a favourite at the mo but M&S has quite a few unlined jackets, it's so funny because the reason I noticed is because I can't stand and won't wear unlined jackets, I do find it interesting why we all like different things as I wonder why lol!

I find M & S are my best bet. For me it is a matter of heat. My main concern in summer is trying to keep :cool: In winter I would for for lined as I can cope better with the fabric that is generally used in lining and I would probably be wearing something with sleeves under it so I wouldn't be touching the lining anyway. I have a pretty distinct summer wardrobe and rest of year one. This involved everything bar knickers (100 cotton all year round), cotton cardies and cotton shirts which are all year round.

It used to involve bra rotation as well with cotton rich in the summer but for some reason, I don't understand, I can cope with genie bras all year round. :confused::confused:

It's the new crimpelene (60s invention -awful). I much prefer to wear cotton or linen, hate this trend for clothing having 'stretch' ability.

Oh God I remember my mother being the crimpelene Queen. Almost everything she bought was made from the stuff. It was an aberration as she usually had good taste. It must have been really easy care which would have appealed to a working mum with 4 kids.

How long has Mr Max been selling on QVC? I bought 3 Susan Graver plain turtle-neck tops when she first appeared in the UK and have washed and worn umpteen times and they still look as good as new and they're ideal for layering in winter. They were about £22 when I bought them, but her prices have just about doubled now. So maybe if Mr Max is new, now's the time to buy because they sure as anything won't stay at the prices they were in the beginning. Look at how Kim & Co prices have risen, too.

I believe they were on many years ago and have just come back about 6 ish months. I love Susan Graver items too, more the plain essential items and have noticed the increase which is strange as on the whole the £ is quite good against the $, I wait on most items from her range now, unless it's something I have to have now, as, like a lot of Q ranges recently they turn up in clearance fairly quickly, Q seem to be on a quick turn around of stock the last 6 months which is good for the customer I suppose, I've seen quite a few items across all the ranges be shown once on air and then a couple of weeks later in clearance, most of the time it's worth waiting just in case but then you have to be quick as they fly out! To me the only accept ion seems to be Yong Kim.

Totally the opposite to you lol! I thank god for these items, cool and comfortable especially when I'm working my a..e off with the horses, maybe I'm more used to it due to sports etc as I used to play tennis seriously in my teens so this type of material was fantastic and I lived in it, I don't know its funny how there seems two camps those that hate it and those that love it, strange eh!

I reckon we all agree about crimpelene thou :mysmilie_14:

I was a crimplene queen, too, neelia! Ah for my little yellow mini (and for the days when I could actually look good in minis) that I ran up on my mother's old hand Singer sewing machine ... and the little orangey bum-scraper that I dared go out in or rather, that I dared go upstairs in ...

Those were the days, my friend ....
:mysmilie_846:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back