moving from Battersea

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Scouser

Registered Shopper
My daughter just sent me this info

Shopping channel QVC is set to swap Battersea’s iconic Marco Polo Building to come north of the river to Chiswick Business Park.

The move will see the digital broadcaster join an increasing number of similar organisations with their headquarters based in Chiswick including Teletext, Discovery Channel and sports channel Setanta.

QVC was formed in 1993 when QVC, Inc. struck a deal with BSkyB to create a UK version of the channel which was first broadcast in the UK on 1st October 1993.

The catchy jingle played in the opening sequence of all its shows quickly became as well known as the channel although it is no longer used.

Last I heard, Setanta had gone bust (or was it only bust-ish?).

clemenzina
I think they have gone bustish, the last thing I heard, was their GB division had gone into administration, ESPN seem to have taken over where they left off. Although Setanta seem to be doing well else where.

Oh, moving to cheaper premises???????:cool:

I don't know how the rents would compare, but QVC have just had everything refitted I believe at Marco Polo House (in the last couple of years at least) and as anyone who has ever attempted to move a business lock, stock and barrel knows - that always costs you a good deal more than you think you will save (at least at first) so I wouldn't imagine QVC would be even contemplating it if they were not forced to.
I believe MPH was once the home to BSB (weren't their sats called Marco Polo?) - the ill-fated satellite broadcaster which merged with Sky. I have done a bit of research and it seems a Russian conglomerate bought the freehold to Marco Polo House a few years ago with a view to redeveloping the area as high-end residential and that QVC decided then not to renew its lease (which I have read runs out in 2012) so they have plenty of time to complete their move!

They have just had all the presenter areas and new dressing rooms fitted out, haven't they.:confused:

I attended a PIlates session at QVc about 4 years ago, and was told then they would be moving eventually, I got the impression it was a lease thing.

Living not that far from the famous QVC towers marco polo house - I'm really quite surprised by this.

Not that its a reason to stay in the same premises but qvc towers is quite a local landmark with a "nice" reputation!

Living not that far from the famous QVC towers marco polo house - I'm really quite surprised by this.

Not that its a reason to stay in the same premises but qvc towers is quite a local landmark with a "nice" reputation!

In my researching I did read that the Russians who now have the freehold on Marco Polo House might want to demolish it and replace it with a much higher block of apartments and associated businesses.

I work just up the road. When you look at the area which is rapidly changing it seems likely that the rents will be rising. Added to that the American Embassy moving into the area and it looks set to become more popular . One thing I know is that those companies that rent out their property will be making a few bucks once the Embassy moves to the area especially accommodation wise and this could be a reason for QVC's potential move. When the worst of the slump was on they were losing so this may their way of recouping the loss. It's not just QVC moving out, Price's Candles did two years ago and my company is currently o the lookout too.

Latest posts

Back