Mother's Day

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
(Mum writes)

I'm just watching ITV's This Morning show and they're discussing the insensitive manner in which some people deal with Mother's Day and forget the fact that plenty of us don't have our mother around anymore. I was incensed by the forum's favourite presenter (you know who I mean!) and the fact that just moments into the Origins show she's spouting that "this will be a good mother's day gift". There's more to mother's day than just hard sell.

Having lost my own parents at a very young age, I still miss my mother terribly but we always had a laugh and I know she wouldn't consider it disrespectful when I thought that no amount of wrinkle cream is going to help her now! :D

I'm sure QVC could sell a bog brush and tell us that it would make a great MD gift!

i see exactly where your coming from would be nice maybe for them to acknowledge just a bit that not everyone has a mum i still have my mum luckily but can see how it can upset some people when you turn on and all you hear is mother's day this mother's day that maybe a bit of thoughtfullness from presenters but wont hold my breath

I lost my Mom in 1988 and still miss her with all my heart. Although I think Mothers Day is a nice gesture, I have always truly believed that children should do their best for their Mom's all year round. Mothers Day is one big hype Mothers are forever not just one day in the year. God bless all those Mom's who are not with us. xxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I called my mum yesterday and she said don't bother coming over on Sunday or arranging anything for Mother's Day as the Formula 1 racing starts and it's an important race! So I've got strict instructions not to disturb my parents LOL. We've agreed to reschedule Mother's Day for the following weekend (sport permitting) :grin:

My mum has alzheimers,and my Dad won't let me ring her,let alone visit her :'(

Mothers day every year breaks my heart. I feel my dad hurts my mum even more than me with his selfish attitude (when my mum was first developing alzheimers,she started telling my dad I had rung her, threatened her , been nasty etc. I don't know why she did it but it wasn't true-she was also doing other weird things like sending people Christmas cards in June,going into the GP surgery demqanding to pay a bill etc. I asked him then to take her to the Doctors and he refused. He won't admit he could have been wrong and I have been unsucessful now for 7 years in putting this right.)

I always send her a card,but have no idea if she recieves it. I send up prayers for her every day-it's all I can do for a woman who was the most fantastic mum when I was growing up,right until all this happened.

It is so hyped these days, just like everything really, there seems to be some sort of event every month: Jan New Year, Feb Valentines Day, March Mother's Day, April Easter, May thru to August they can waft on about Summer holidays and also Father's day, October Halloween, November Bonfire Night and then off we go with the run up to Christmas which of course QVC starts in July. I am sure they would like to introduce "Teachers' Day" and heaven only knows what other marketing ploys.

Suzi MASSIVE hugs to you, I've not long lost my Mam to that dreadfull disease (aug) so this is my first without her ( well saying that, she hadn't known who i was for the last 5years, so I had a few without her if you get me) and I am dreading it :'( everywhere you go or watch it's mothers day this and mothers day that!! I just want to cry cos I want my Mam :-(

Take care
Kel xxxx

My mum has alzheimers,and my Dad won't let me ring her,let alone visit her :'(

Mothers day every year breaks my heart. I feel my dad hurts my mum even more than me with his selfish attitude (when my mum was first developing alzheimers,she started telling my dad I had rung her, threatened her , been nasty etc. I don't know why she did it but it wasn't true-she was also doing other weird things like sending people Christmas cards in June,going into the GP surgery demqanding to pay a bill etc. I asked him then to take her to the Doctors and he refused. He won't admit he could have been wrong and I have been unsucessful now for 7 years in putting this right.)

I always send her a card,but have no idea if she recieves it. I send up prayers for her every day-it's all I can do for a woman who was the most fantastic mum when I was growing up,right until all this happened.

I was so sad to read your posts ladies. I am very lucky in that I still have my dear mum but she's now suffering quite badly with dementia, I go to her every weekday morning to give her her tablets and generally do things for her, my sisters do weekends.We very often have a good laugh over things but I'll give her an extra hug on behalf of you both if thats ok seeing neither of you have that priviledge sadly. Hope thats ok xxxxx

SuziQ you have my greatest sympathy. I was bought up by my nan and she developed Alzheimers. She was the most important person in my life and I was devastated. It was so harrowing for me to watch the person I loved most in the world deteriorate before my eyes. She still looked the same but her personality had gone.

I couldn't visit her as it was too painfull for me but I really wished I'd make myself go and see her as, when she finally passed away, I felt so guilty for not spending more time with her.

I know my nan would have understood why I didn't visit, thats what made her so wonderfull. I'm sure that if your mom was able to tell you she would say don't to worry and that she loves you no matter what.

I lost my mother when I was 16 - I'm now 36.TBH,I don't take offence too much to QVC - I think they're just trying to make a mint out of the day,like everyone else.Although, I rarely watch QVC these days - so I don't know how much they're making of it.

I still have my nan,who brought me up really - and my MIL to buy cards for - but thats all I do - I/We don't make much of mothers day in our family - which is my doing I suppose.When I read a mums forum,I'm amazed of the people making hampers,buying theatre tickets etc - each to their own,maybe if I had my mum,it would be a very different day.

big hugs to those who don't have their mums.QVC's certainly not gonna say that when trying to cash in on the day!! :)

My mother insists that it is Mothering Sunday, originally a religious festival to do with people visiting their 'mother' church. I would be shot if I sent a Mother's Day card. Even my carefully chosen & worded Mothering Sunday cards are only ever received with a loud sniff and put on one side:sad:

When I was a young single mum after my son's dad had left me for a woman he worked with I always remember a dear friend of mine always sent me a mother's day card on behalf of my boy. It was so sweet of her and took the sting out of the day. Hugs to all of you who are missing their mums.

My boys are making me cards at school and trying unsuccessfully to keep it secret - that means more to me than any expensive gift.

N x

Big Hugs to all who are going through difficult times with their mums and sympathy for those no longer here!! I mum is 84 tomorrow and she is partially blind and very deaf and trying to still look after my dad who is 88 and suffering from Emphysema. I try to help as much as I can but its not easy when my mum and dad still want to be independent!! I agree that Mothers Day is a load of hype and is just another excuse for lots of money to be spent!!

Well I called my mum yesterday and she said don't bother coming over on Sunday or arranging anything for Mother's Day as the Formula 1 racing starts and it's an important race! So I've got strict instructions not to disturb my parents LOL. We've agreed to reschedule Mother's Day for the following weekend (sport permitting) :grin:

Your Mum sounds like my kind of person. OH and I will be doing exactly the same on Sunday - watching F1. We have three sons - 2 of whom live in the States. I expect son no.3 will be round to see me/us but not whilst the race is on - he's a fan as well.

Latest posts

Back