More (yawn) Marla Wynne

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm sure back in the day clothes were better made all round, and I'm talking about when I was a kid back in the day. Clothes were designed to be grown out of and handed down and any damage would be repaired! The stuff being churned out by MW and the like doesn't look like it would stand up to a week's wear by an adult, as my grandmother would say "You could shoot peas through the material"!

I'm sure back in the day clothes were better made all round, and I'm talking about when I was a kid back in the day. Clothes were designed to be grown out of and handed down and any damage would be repaired! The stuff being churned out by MW and the like doesn't look like it would stand up to a week's wear by an adult, as my grandmother would say "You could shoot peas through the material"!
I was brought up to look after my possessions & if any of my clothes were passed onto others they were always in fabulous condition. You're right about the way clothes were made; the fabrics were better & they were produced by those who were properly trained & had pride in the finished item. I bore for England about my love of second hand clothes, however, I have a wardrobe full of fabulous pieces that look good, have stood the test of time & haven't cost me a fortune.

I must have been at least 13 before I got any new clothes of my own. I had an older sister and everything she outgrew got passed down to me. By the time I reached my early teens I was taller and bigger than she was so none of her stuff fitted me. Mum was always useful with a sewing machine and knitting needles but everything she made was functional not fashionable.
Once she started working full time after we were all old enough to take ourselves to and from school and sensible enough to be left alone during school holidays, then Mum didn`t have the time to make stuff from scratch but she always found time to repair, patch or alter hand me downs.
There were 4 of us kids, all different ages , sizes and shapes and no automatic washing machines, tumble driers, central heating or mod cons so keeping on top of the laundry was a nightmare especially during the Winter.
No ready made meals, everything bought and cooked daily, no freezer just a simple small fridge, no fancy kitchen gadgets either and after a full day at work my Mum then had to catch up with everything at home so we were all roped in to do our bit. I don`t know how she did it but she did.

Latest posts

Back