Misleading Demos

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Loverofquiet

Registered Shopper
I have just been able to return my Morphy Richards steam generator iron in the nick of time, it was a TSV about five weeks ago.

I used it for only the second time today, and it melted my polycotton duvet cover. The demo done by the woman who was selling it clearly showed her several times ironing over different materials, even fragile chiffon and silk, using full steam because "the sole plate does not get hot". Indeed, she even left the iron for a minute or two on top of material, while the various presenters did pretend fainting fits "I would have expected that to burn the material, but it doesn't!"

Have forum posters any other examples of misleading demos?

I have a steam generator iron from QVC. Not sure of the make, but it's probably MR too. My sole plate is covered in burn marks from where I have left it face down on the ironing board- something they actively promote! It doesn't glide over clothes like they claim either. And it definitely doesn't iron through 8 layers of duvet cover - they must use the cheap, thin ones! My 800 TC don't get a look in :mysmilie_51:

I have a steam generator iron from QVC. Not sure of the make, but it's probably MR too. My sole plate is covered in burn marks from where I have left it face down on the ironing board- something they actively promote! It doesn't glide over clothes like they claim either. And it definitely doesn't iron through 8 layers of duvet cover - they must use the cheap, thin ones! My 800 TC don't get a look in :mysmilie_51:

Burn marks! On my first use of this iron I left it for a few seconds on a white pure cotton sheet. The sheet now has the brown scorch mark you expect from an ordinary iron. So how can demonstrators get away by showing the iron left face down, and then the reveal "Look, no burn marks!".

Have you complained about it damaging the items you were ironing even though you followed the advice they gave on the demo? I think you should do. I received a bottle of Alpha H Liquid Gold which was leaking and dripped on my clothing and I mentioned this when returning it. Luckily it didn't cause any damage but they phoned me a couple of times to check. Also if you use Facebook it might be worth posting on their page.

They'll probably try to flog her a Northern Nights set to replace her scorched polycotton!

Surely an advertising standards issue?

Thanks for that. My thoughts exactly. I don't understand how they could have done those demos unless the power was turned off.

I won't take it any further because I hate making a fuss. But I would be very interested in hearing from other people who think they have been misled by demos and perhaps we could make strong representations to QVC on that theme.

Gravy browning for burnt on grease and grime, allegedly!
Don't think the hoover demos are anything to worry about, they never pick up only bounce the bits about?

Gravy browning for burnt on grease and grime, allegedly!
Don't think the hoover demos are anything to worry about, they never pick up only bounce the bits about?

Exactly! I had a new television recently with a much sharper picture, and was amazed to see the tiny male, sorry can't remember his name, who does the H20 demonstrating how to get mould out of grouting. In real life a very difficult job. But on screen I could see clearly that the 'mould' was lead pencil markings!!!

Reply to self here, before I get sued. The 'mould" had all the appearance, to an untrained viewer's eye, of having been drawn on the grout by lead pencil. It bore no resemblance, to my untrained eye, to the black sticky gloopy mould which adheres to my bathroom grout. It bore an uncanny resemblance to the pencil writings I have spent many a years as a teacher marking, and sometimes erasing easily, with a pencil rubber. "No need to pay £80 for a steam cleaner," I said to the television, "you can get rid of those marks with a twenty pence rubber." But what do I know?

I think you probably know quite a lot LFQ. It's plain to see they use all sorts of easily removed products when demoing the Steam cleaners etc. I can't stand that little man you refer to so don't tend to watch him these days but he has had plenty of practice in the art of deceit when flogging these items. I remember a Telephone caller years ago telling him his products didn't work when cleaning burnt ovens and cooking equipment and they soon cut him off.

When Mally demonstrates her 'bullet proof' liners etc you can see that she doesn't actually touch the makeup but just cups her hand over so it doesn't rub the lines.

I found the same thing with the MR steam generator iron - I have to say that if you feel soemthing is faulty or misrepresented, you don't have to stick within the 30 day mbg. I have sent several things back way after that date as they are clearly not fit for purpose .QVC have always agreed to send a prepaid label out or collect it- just make sure you make yourself a receipt for the courier to sign when they collect it ( I didn't do that when I sent back a faulty laptop recently and had a few weeks of anxiety waiting for it to be refunded!)

When Mally demonstrates her 'bullet proof' liners etc you can see that she doesn't actually touch the makeup but just cups her hand over so it doesn't rub the lines.

I found the same thing with the MR steam generator iron - I have to say that if you feel soemthing is faulty or misrepresented, you don't have to stick within the 30 day mbg. I have sent several things back way after that date as they are clearly not fit for purpose .QVC have always agreed to send a prepaid label out or collect it- just make sure you make yourself a receipt for the courier to sign when they collect it ( I didn't do that when I sent back a faulty laptop recently and had a few weeks of anxiety waiting for it to be refunded!)

I have posted about this so many times before. I have drawn lines on the back of my hand with Mally eyeliners then waited about 10-15 seconds before rubbing the hell out of them with my other hand. I am getting fed up saying this...but they stay put and do not budge!!! Please buy the darn things and try it yourself if you don't believe me. She isn't cupping her hand. They stay put. I promise.

The worst I've had is one of those H-something steam cleaners. According to the little man's demos it glided over the floors easy as anything. Mine didn't, it was as heavy as lead to push, and when the Hermes man came to collect it, he said he'd already collected loads of returns of the same shape and size.

RESULT! And all power to QVC customer services. When I sent back the Morphy Richards steam generator, with molten polyester still adhering to the sole plate, I added a letter to QVC re. misleading demos.
They have refunded my money very promptly, I only had it re-Hermesed back to them a couple of days ago. And, although they did not say this when I originally rang them, they have refunded my original postage.
I have a lot of criticisms of some of the products they sell, but I have always found their Customer Services to be excellent, so it's nice to put in a good word for QVC.

I`ve never had a problem with the call centre. customer services they have always been excellent ...if only the on screen sales assistants were as efficient!!

Latest posts

Back