Michael Perrys Garden TSV 23/04/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Personally I would rather have a plain trellis or fence rather than these plastic ones. I‘ve seen them in shops and garden centres and they just aren’t for me.

Agree about the clematis, honeysuckle can be a bit of a thug. Never ever go for ivy - I spent several months of last lockdown getting ivy off walls. Another no no is vinca - lovely blue flower but you will never get rid of it, 20 years later it will be popping up 20 meters from where you planted it and ripped it out!

Personally I would rather have a plain trellis or fence rather than these plastic ones. I‘ve seen them in shops and garden centres and they just aren’t for me.

Agree about the clematis, honeysuckle can be a bit of a thug. Never ever go for ivy - I spent several months of last lockdown getting ivy off walls. Another no no is vinca - lovely blue flower but you will never get rid of it, 20 years later it will be popping up 20 meters from where you planted it and ripped it out!
I had my fences replaced and had beautiful professional trellis put on to the height of the fences. Cost a bit but I have a lot of climbers and its lovely. LATI your so spot on about the gardening thugs. Vinca has lovely flowers but not lovely enough for the amount of space it takes up for the rest of time

My MIL has a grey leafed white flowered trailing plant in her garden. She called it snow in summer and it looked lovely. She gave me a slip and I duly stuck it in. 30 years later the odd bit still appears despite being dug out 20 years ago when we realised just what a thug it was.

From a distance you often don’t realise that!

I had a faux lawn at my old house. It cost a lot but you really couldn't tell it wasn't real. The real lawn had been awful, on a slope and mostly in shade so it was just a weed and moss patch. The faux grass made such a difference even although bad for the environment (sorry).

Anyone want a fast growing plant to cover walls etc get Clematis montana or a honeysuckle, they grow like weeds and have lovely flowers.

I've seen these plastic screens at our caravan park and while they look passable when new, after one winter they look tatty and the real willow frame gets brittle and snaps easily.

CC
We had a problem with horsetail at the front of our house, it invaded the shrubs & chippings front garden & everything had to be taken out. A neighbour suggested artificial grass, however, horsetail grows through concrete & is one of the first plants to appear after a volcanic eruption so would have made short work of getting through it, so if anyone's thinking of getting it makes sure you don't have this horror lurking nearby.

We have a couple of willow trellises with artificial leafs to screen the overgrown garden next door. Unfortunately they are getting to the brittle stage and Milo has discovered that it is just perfect for breaking off and chewing 🙄

Mr CC has banned me from buying :cry::cry: To be fair I have a lounger approaching (allegedly). Why do I need permission to spend my own money :rolleyes: I'll probably agree with him tomorrow (I won't).

CC

I'll get one one day, just not today. He even threatened to break it if I bought it o_Oo_O (yes, he is that heavy :LOL::LOL:) Very tempted to point out all the crap he's bought and never used (vibra power thingy for £99 and I do recall I paid for that, bahh). It's the weekend though, not going to cause a row. I can live without a hanging chair.

CC

Oddly the plastic willows seem to last a lot longer than the real willow. You will be lucky to get two winters from the real one. it dries out and is easily broken

Candy there is15% off garden and home this weekend.
Hmmm I'm so tempted to sneakily buy it but it's a bit hard to hide. I'll just have to tell myself I can't have everything, however, the next time old Mr CC comes up with some brilliant idea of what to buy I will say we're not having it. I should have said that when the telly blew up last week. No squeaking about spending £200 on a telly was there? Of course not, that's things for him :mad:🐷

CC

I love that aldi chair but it wouldn't fit into our garden.

Another indestructable plant is a peony rose. We've dug ours up about six times and every year it came back so in the end we decided it had earned its keep and could stay. Beautiful blooms but they don't last.

I've got loads of peonies in my garden. I had a lovely yellow one last year, think I got it from Q and a few weeks ago I got a free one from IW, just had to pay postage.

I've got loads of peonies in my garden. I had a lovely yellow one last year, think I got it from Q and a few weeks ago I got a free one from IW, just had to pay postage.
I'm envious, absolutely love them but they look at me & die. It's exactly the same with verbena bonariensis & clematis montana, even though it grows like a weed for others.

Latest posts

Back