Memory foam mattress topper

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ArtDeco

Registered Shopper
I've been thinking of buying one of these for a while, perhaps the Polar Foam:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.831135.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

Has anyone bought one from QVC or elsewhere? I'm wondering how QVC's prices compare and if anyone has any recommendations on which to buy and from where. I have a NN feather bed but it's just not doing it for me anymore, it requires work and I can't be bothered to waft it about nightly. Thought one of these might be lower maintenance :wink: :giggle:

Thanks in advance :handshake:

I've been thinking of buying one of these for a while, perhaps the Polar Foam:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.831135.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

Has anyone bought one from QVC or elsewhere? I'm wondering how QVC's prices compare and if anyone has any recommendations on which to buy and from where. I have a NN feather bed but it's just not doing it for me anymore, it requires work and I can't be bothered to waft it about nightly. Thought one of these might be lower maintenance :wink: :giggle:

Thanks in advance :handshake:

had a NN featherbed too at once time, then switched to a memory foam mattress topper, now have a proper memory foam mattress (NOT one of the mega bucks Tempur ones!)..we found our topper ok...I have arthritis and one bad hip and find it difficult to get comfortable on that side anyway, but easier with the memory foam so it gets a thumbs up from me. You won't have that problem as I think you're a fair bit younger than I am! I got mine from Dunelm, £100, but at least with QVC you can return it if you don't get on with it...I know it goes against the grain to lose the P & P but on an item that's quite costly it's good to know you can send it back.

had a NN featherbed too at once time, then switched to a memory foam mattress topper, now have a proper memory foam mattress (NOT one of the mega bucks Tempur ones!)..we found our topper ok...I have arthritis and one bad hip and find it difficult to get comfortable on that side anyway, but easier with the memory foam so it gets a thumbs up from me. You won't have that problem as I think you're a fair bit younger than I am! I got mine from Dunelm, £100, but at least with QVC you can return it if you don't get on with it...I know it goes against the grain to lose the P & P but on an item that's quite costly it's good to know you can send it back.

Thanks very much for this BusyMum. I know exactly what you mean re: 30 day MBG, for these kinds of purchases it's invaluable. If suppose if I really didn't get on with it from the word go I could send it back under DSR and get the initial P&P back anyway! From what you've said in previous posts, I think you are perhaps just a few months wiser than me. But you know how many people say, for example, that they're 70 years old but still feel 18 in their head? Well I'm nearly 35 but have felt about 60 since I was in my early twenties...:wink:

Thanks again for the feedback :handshake:

It's a bit spooky looking at the things you like.......

I bought this topper when it was a TSV to replace an earlier one I'd had from QVC about 4/5 yrs earlier and it's great. Deffo recommend it. Been good for giving support for my bones and I sprawl all over it in the middle of the night for the cool bit when the dreaded hot sweats start :sweat: - you know how it is for me !! However, with this, my NN htc and down duvets, I sleep quite well :mysmilie_496:

I have a feeling they may have had the odd one at the outlet but don't know what size and whether they'll still have any.

Not helping the f.a.r.t.ing here, am I ??? :mysmilie_62:

Ah well, a good night's sleep is absolutely invaluable you know.....

We bought the QVC one a few months ago when it was a TSV and also ordered the cover as some people here and on the reviews spoke how the topper got hot. Many advised getting the cover as well. I'm sorry but I don't recall the price off hand. We had a topper from Ikea which we wanted to purchase again but the type we bought years ago and which had served us well didn't seem to be on the Ikea website anymore. Then came the TSV.

We needed to replace the Ikea one because my husband had been confined to bed following a car accident and it became lopsided and severely uneven after several months of constantly being in bed. Plus it was years old. After he was better, he wanted to give the QVC version a try when the TSV came up. He had looked at the one on Ideal World too. But we were already familiar with QVC somewhat and felt ok to order as they have the 30 day MBG.

It didn't go back and has been very helpful especially for him as he has residual back and leg pain. I was wary that it might be too hard but I do like a very firm mattress. It doesn't get hot. I think the newer design and the cover took care of that. It might be a inch or two too big for the mattress underneath but that has not hampered our sleep or comfort.

I was looking at that one also. I've got a feather topper too, which is OK for one night and then it just flattens down and I can't be bothered to keep primping it back up again every night. I was wondering if that memory foam mattress would help with my backache which I seem to wake up with every morning.

I did watch a demo and the guy reckoned that you can't feel those knobbly bits when you're lying on it which was my concern but then he said that some customers use it the other way up, which hasn't got the knobbly bits (technical term) on SO my guess is you CAN feel that! Also the reviews aren't great.

I was looking at that one also. I've got a feather topper too, which is OK for one night and then it just flattens down and I can't be bothered to keep primping it back up again every night. I was wondering if that memory foam mattress would help with my backache which I seem to wake up with every morning.

I did watch a demo and the guy reckoned that you can't feel those knobbly bits when you're lying on it which was my concern but then he said that some customers use it the other way up, which hasn't got the knobbly bits (technical term) on SO my guess is you CAN feel that! Also the reviews aren't great.

I don't understand why the reviews aren't good as the one we got is smooth and supports us well and we both could stand to lose a few pounds. We've had ours a few months and so far it is holding up well.

Thought it was just me

I am glad to hear that other people have had the same experience as me with regards to the featherbeds from QVC. I have had mine for a couple of years now and last week finally took it off the bed for good as I was sick to death of shaking it up on a daily basis. My back has felt much better since, don't know if that's because I'm not sleeping in the hollow or because I'm not manhandling the heavy featherbed everyday! Maybe a touch of both.

I am glad to hear that other people have had the same experience as me with regards to the featherbeds from QVC. I have had mine for a couple of years now and last week finally took it off the bed for good as I was sick to death of shaking it up on a daily basis. My back has felt much better since, don't know if that's because I'm not sleeping in the hollow or because I'm not manhandling the heavy featherbed everyday! Maybe a touch of both.

we had our first featherbed for maybe 5/6 years and that was fine and I went in for a new one when it gave up the ghost..however the second one was a bugger and was flat as a pancake every morning and would NOT fluff up, it wasn't a patch on the first - a different type of course, so that went back and I decided to try a different form of topper - first off was what I called the "egg box" type and that was fine, couldn't feel the knobbles at all...progressed to the memory foam in due course - the toppers don't last forever, but they do the job. What I would really like is a Tempur mattress on an adjustable bed but got to win the Lottery first I think!

Thanks everyone for this :handshake:. I think one of the featherbeds that is in squares (baffle box?!) might be better than mine which is just in rows (baffle channel?!) as the filling may stay put better? But either way it's a bind wafting it about every night! Think memory foam may be the way forward.

I'm going to the Birchwood outlet over the bankhols Lizgregs so will look out for one there. They only had a single last time and even tightly packed up it was about two thirds the size of my person so it could be quite comedy trying to get a double back on the train :giggle:

Fingers crossed for the lottery BusyMum, don't forget us all when you're rich and laid in your posh bed ordering every second item from QVC just cos you can :wink:

my featherbed is a baffle box and I found that the fill is very uneven. With hindsight I should have returned it straight away but instead I perservered like a dummy. When I watch "Snuzie" doing Northern Nights hours now I see her hand disappearing to the bottom of the featherbed when she presses it, there is no real support there.
As a child I had a feather bed which had been made by my great aunt Flo. It was absolutely fab, nothing fancy, a mattress sized calico cover stuffed with (I think) chicken feathers :mysmilie_47:! It lasted years and years and was so comfy, I expected the same level of comfort from NN but it wasn't to be.
Now I am also saving up for a memory foam mattress! :nod:

For those of you saving up for a memory foam mattress/bed, a word of warning. Whatever you get, don't make the mistake we made. If possible, if you're spending a lot of money, get a mattress/bed that you can actually try out for a while first. It's completely different lying on a bed in a shop for 20 minutes than spending an entire night.

We did splurge and bought a ViSpring bed, which are handmade to order and v expensive. We figured that if you spend a third of your life on it, it's worth spending out on. Unfortunately we had allsorts of problems. The medium was lovely in the shop, a medium arrives, far too hard, had it on appro for 30 days but that coincided with us going away for a length of time. Got back, appro up and hence me now putting a feather topper on it which completely defeats the object of having a good bed in the first place!! Now I'm after a memory foam mattress to put over my feather topper to put over my mattress!!

Another thing, it's an old wives tale that if you have a bad back you need a hard bed. Not true, especially for women, we have curves, a hard bed puts your spine/curves out of allignment, you need something to support/cradle the bits that make contact with the bed but keep your spine straight when on your side and also not something that's so soft it gives no support whatsoever. I reckon most of our back problems are due to the wrong bed. :wonder:

We have two memory foam toppers, one at home and one in our camper van and they are both brilliant. The one we use at home came from Costco and the other came from the duvet and pillow warehouse. I can't recommend them highly enough.
http://www.duvetandpillowwarehouse.co.uk/department/Memory Foam/Range/Memory-Foam-Toppers

I was in the Birchwood outlet today but didn't see any toppers in there - although I did get a lovely pair of EMU toe-post sandals:)

Thanks everyone for this :handshake:. I think one of the featherbeds that is in squares (baffle box?!) might be better than mine which is just in rows (baffle channel?!) as the filling may stay put better? But either way it's a bind wafting it about every night! Think memory foam may be the way forward.

I'm going to the Birchwood outlet over the bankhols Lizgregs so will look out for one there. They only had a single last time and even tightly packed up it was about two thirds the size of my person so it could be quite comedy trying to get a double back on the train :giggle:

Fingers crossed for the lottery BusyMum, don't forget us all when you're rich and laid in your posh bed ordering every second item from QVC just cos you can :wink:

I think our first featherbed was squares ArtDeco, that was the good one..the second one I can't remember what it was called but I think it was channels, but with an extra bit on the top..absolutely useless, if you've got a bad back or whatever you certainly can do without trying to fluff it up every morning and it used to go flat as soon as we got back into bed, no support in it whatsoever. Hope you get on with the memory foam anyway if you get one, for sure it can't be worse than a flat featherbed! Ooh yes, Lottery win would be nice..did you read about the Nottm couple who won £7m a few weeks back? Bought their ticket in MY branch of Morrisons..now why couldn't that have been me! £1m would do me fine, cushion me from poverty in me old age! On (another) different note NO B Makowsky bags in our T K Maxx today :angry: !!

Well, I've just woken following my first night on my polar memory foam! I managed to get one at the Birchwood Outlet yesterday. Someone had obviously regretted their purchase and boomeranged it straight back as it was intact. Am surprised Le Q didn't try and send it back out full price tbh, but their loss is my gain as it was £51.50 (should be £112.45 inc P&P). Getting it back from Manchester on the train was quite comedic (apologies if you were the commuter who's eye I almost certainly took out, or the person sending me evils when the train was packed, what can I say, the polar had to have its own seat...:wink:)

Anyway thus far I'm sold, it's far more responsive than my feather bed and I love the coolness of it. Am hoping it doesn't feel cold in winter, or I'll be back to the Outlet for one of those fleecy electric blanket things they had at a bargerama price...

Happy snoozing everyone :sleepy:

OMG don't envy you getting it home on the train..! But happy zzzz's to you, hope you will be as happy 6 months from now!

Art Deco - :mysmilie_846: your reward for services to shopping. True devotion to the cause getting your haul back home on the train !!! You should have taken a photo of the said journey and sent it to me :giggle:

Glad to hear night 1 passed the test - sure it'll be fine, still loving mine and just off to bed now.

Well, I've just woken following my first night on my polar memory foam! I managed to get one at the Birchwood Outlet yesterday. Someone had obviously regretted their purchase and boomeranged it straight back as it was intact. Am surprised Le Q didn't try and send it back out full price tbh, but their loss is my gain as it was £51.50 (should be £112.45 inc P&P). Getting it back from Manchester on the train was quite comedic (apologies if you were the commuter who's eye I almost certainly took out, or the person sending me evils when the train was packed, what can I say, the polar had to have its own seat...:wink:)

Anyway thus far I'm sold, it's far more responsive than my feather bed and I love the coolness of it. Am hoping it doesn't feel cold in winter, or I'll be back to the Outlet for one of those fleecy electric blanket things they had at a bargerama price...

Happy snoozing everyone :sleepy:

Are you using it with or without your feather topper also? Did you want it because you get back ache? So many questions........... Still toying with the idea of getting one but it will have to be full price so.....

comfeecozee

bought a feather bed from this company in fenwicks. it was the last one for £50 and i have had it for 7 years now and dont want to part with it as it is so beautifull. very weighty still and no feathers escaping. it has a thick layer of down on the top and is a box fill.

i bought my mum a qvc on it was nothing like this one and she palmed it off to my dad.
it was not filled enough and was a channel filled one. never buy these as the feathers tend to move around a lot.

i like northern nights ideas just not the products and i think they are far too expensive for the quality.

Are you using it with or without your feather topper also? Did you want it because you get back ache? So many questions........... Still toying with the idea of getting one but it will have to be full price so.....

Hello lilylurknomore, I've taken my feather bed off and am just using the polar foam. I don't get backache thankfully, but I've lost some weight over the last year and felt a bit bony just on a mattress! I must say that all the things that Snoozie Adams says about Northern Nights - the pleasure of getting into bed, lingering longer etc - apply now, which, although I do like NN, didn't apply so well to my featherbed! I see the TSV is a feather bed today, think it's a channel one, I suspect they are the worst offenders for needing work. No wafting with the memory foam!

Mine was an absolute bargain but to me this would have been worth full price, if that helps any. Hope you like it if you do get one :yawn: :nod:

Latest posts

Back