loves and hates of a handbag addict

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well Im a kipling addict.I bought them long before they came to QVC.

Over the years my tastes and needs have changed but its always a kipling bag.At the moment I'm preferring a *true* shoulder bag,rather than the messenger styles.

I don't buy the leather kiplings and I don't buy any leather bags at all now.Once you get used to a kipling,everything else seems so heavy.

I agree they're not for weddings or special occassions.I don't even agree the leather or laquer ones are even.

However I go to very few *functions* now - and I have a few staple colours in clutch bags for those I do attend.

I too am a Kipling addict and always go for shoulder bags which can quickly become cross body.

I love to match them to my clothes and have about 25 different ones.

I buy handbags from £00's to £25 quid and everything in between but still long for the perfect bag.

I can't do short handle crook of the arm 'queen' style bags so LG ruled out

I have nothing against Kipling but personally think fabric straps will never be dressy so despite the presenter's spiel they are not suitable for weddings etc

personal hate is short and long straps together - live in hope I will find one where the SHORT handles are detachable

don,'t clutches as they don't shut over my glasses case.

I have to have an outside pocket as I get mad if I have to search for my keys.

And we haven't even started on size - I want that magic bag which looks compact but is a tardis inside

By the way when did a purse on a string become a handbag/clutch.

I have said 'exactly' the same and it drives me mad however, I decided this year to sell most of my bags and just concentrate on a couple of decent ones. I love Kipling, for their lightness and organisation, but that said, they are just too casual,and hubby always said my bags looked 'scruffy' so he bought me for valentine's day last year a red Radley which had all the organisation I liked but was a smart leather bag, I then decided that I wanted a smart black bag that would not date and decided to buy a Lulu Guinness Franka with her signature red lips lining and I love it although it is heavier than the Radley, in fact, I love it so much I decided to treat myself to another colour so have got the Stone colour to use for summer and that is me now sorted lol....

I have just bought a Tula bag called a large barrel grab bag its not very large but is roomy inside with two short handalls and a zip along the top which goes a little way down either side of the bag for easy access and a flap with a nice big buckle making it secure ,all my bags are leather I also have a couple of Radley cheadle medium size bags in different colours which I use most of the time but I'm also a bagoholic and have quite a selection I'm still looking for the perfect bag though but I'm not sure it actually exists .

I bought a barrel type handbag in the airport last week from Mango its in a shiny black and nude patent with grab handles and a shoulder strap if you needed it and a purse. It was reduced so I treated myself!

Remember the Kipling Eldorado bag TSV from many years ago, I gave mine to my best pal and she STILL uses it now. Looks like new as she washes it regularly, she has never changed it in all these years, it was only £22 then as well, I envy her resilience at not needing a different bag. I don't have loads but have purchased lots of cheaper bags through the years but got the medium Alvar in sparkly black this Christmas for myself and love it like you Tiddlywinks, also getting into Camouflage Company shopping bags now, something different. In my career days they used to call me the bag lady at work cause I used to commute from Derby to Leicester and parents home and my flat, not that used to be a huge stripey beach bag that carried loads of stuff round in, clothes sometimes included. Wish I'd had the taste to look for weekender type bags but hey I was young then. I have always gone for over the shoulder long strap bags as I feel so much more secure.

How do you store them?

I never seem to have enough time to constantly change bags - I wish I were more organised.

I have two wardrobes and two drawered units. I have a Winter wardrobe and drawer set and a Summer wardrobe and drawer set. So one drawer on the Winter side contains my darker coloured Kiplings and on the Summer side I have the bright colours. I do this with my shoes as well.

At the end of each day I take everything out of the bag that I used and place it in a small basket next to my bed and put the bag away. I am a travel fast and light sort of girl, so typically I carry: car keys, purse, phone, small notebook and pen and my papers (in France its law to always have your car registration papers and driving licence with you). Next morning, depending on what I am doing I choose my clothes and what bag I am going to use.

With the basket system, you never waste time searching for car keys etc. and you never forget something you need as its all in front of you when you load the bag.

I am not OCD, but love being organised and couldn't live any other way. When I was married, I was married to a very disorganised person and would spend hours searching for something for him that he couldn't remember where he put it, i.e. car keys. It drove me mad!

If you don't have much wardrobe space (like I did before my husband left), then each Spring and Autumn I use to go through my wardrobe and pack away the last season's clothes into storage bags and store under the bed. In Spring for instance I would just leave out a pair of jeans and warmer top for cooler days. Any clothes that I knew that I wouldn't wear again, either went into the gardening/cleaning car pile or went to the local shop to sell on. Old tee shirts for instance would be cut up into big squares and put into a bag in the garage for car polishing clothes.

Last edited:
I have two wardrobes and two drawered units. I have a Winter wardrobe and drawer set and a Summer wardrobe and drawer set. So one drawer on the Winter side contains my darker coloured Kiplings and on the Summer side I have the bright colours. I do this with my shoes as well.

At the end of each day I take everything out of the bag that I used and place it in a small basket next to my bed and put the bag away. I am a travel fast and light sort of girl, so typically I carry: car keys, purse, phone, small notebook and pen and my papers (in France its law to always have your car registration papers and driving licence with you). Next morning, depending on what I am doing I choose my clothes and what bag I am going to use.

With the basket system, you never waste time searching for car keys etc. and you never forget something you need as its all in front of you when you load the bag.

I am not OCD, but love being organised and couldn't live any other way. When I was married, I was married to a very disorganised person and would spend hours searching for something for him that he couldn't remember where he put it, i.e. car keys. It drove me mad!

If you don't have much wardrobe space (like I did before my husband left), then each Spring and Autumn I use to go through my wardrobe and pack away the last season's clothes into storage bags and store under the bed. In Spring for instance I would just leave out a pair of jeans and warmer top for cooler days. Any clothes that I knew that I wouldn't wear again, either went into the gardening/cleaning car pile or went to the local shop to sell on. Old tee shirts for instance would be cut up into big squares and put into a bag in the garage for car polishing clothes.

I have countless bags and love to chop and change but often was in too much of a rush. So I bought a tintamar organiser off eBay, pricy but has been worth it - though a Kipling pouch or similar would do. Makes it easy to switch your essentials from one bag to another.

I use the same bag, day in, day out for years until it finally dies on me or is just too scruffy to use. I have dressier, newer bags I take out of the wardrobe for weddings, social events, nights out etc but when I arrive home I empty them and go back to using my old faithful bag. I`ve just parted with a suede satchel bag I bought from a Welsh craft fair around 12 years ago and its been used daily over all those years and was well battered. I`m now using a grey leather tote from TK Maxx which will become my daily carry all.

Latest posts

Back