Lily O'Brians V Thornton's

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nope. A woman. Thornton's is great, and I continue to buy them because they make a point of not having hydrogenated fats in their chocolate and natural vanilla flavouring. Had some Lily O'Brians ages ago think it was nice too, can't remember, but I'm sure they have the good ingredients too. Sorry, not much of a contribution to the debate. Personally, I err on the side of Thornton's because they are more available and in my consciousness, if you know what I mean! (I can tell you this, though, I stay away from junk chocolate and I don't care how cheap they make it: I just can't bring myself to eat the vegetable fat/vanillin variety.)

The guest wasn't Lily O'Brien, she was Mary-Anne. I know this because she continually referred to herself in the third person, it was very odd. "Now you try this caramel one, and Mary-Anne is going to have this vanilla one" *eats chocolate*

I haven't tried them but re mariecat's point above, they didn't make much mention of the quality or provenance of the ingredients. Thorntons seem much better at that, including pointing out what's gluten free and nut free, etc.

Personally I cant be doing with all the 'new' chocolates on the market (ok Thorntons arent new, but they've gone the way of the others) - I've said this on other threads, but all the ganaches, truffles and other squidgy/gaggy/sickly centres will never make up for the good old chocs of years ago.

I'm talking here of butterscotch/caramel/marzipan/ toffee & nougat/coffee cream, fudge, orange cream, and nutty whirl centres. Its a travesty what the 'chocolatiers' have done to the chocolate boxes of the past. My pet hate? Belgian seashells in two tone swirly chocolate with the most disgusting centre ever created !!!!! I've lost count of the number of boxes I have given away when given to me as presents.

My grandma used to go to Scarborough every summer and she always brought home these lovely handmade chocolates from this little shop. Proper Turkish delight( from Scarborough! Lol) plus my personal favourite large coffee beans. They were a true acquired taste, large coffee bean shaped dark chocolate shell, with a rich, bitter coffee filling in the middle. I haven't seen or tasted anything quite like them since, bet that little shop is long gone now.

I hear what you say about the vegetable oil chocolate but you just can't beat Galaxy IMO. And Fererro Rocher (spell?) Also love Mister Choc Caramel bars frim Lidl.

But the worst chocolate ever is thae stuff in the USA. What the hell do they do to their chocolate! That's not chocolate! Their "baby Ruth" bars are nice though, went to Florida when I was 16 and bought some after watching the movie "The Goonies".

they are nice chocs but I did laugh at Dale going on about them being not widely available and by inference somewhat exclusive as they stock them in my local Asda and have seen them in Morrisons too.

The yanks dont seem to produce "proper" chocolate. They have the cows to produce milk, but cream in the shops is practically non-existant, its all yoghurty stuff (not good for chocolate making).

The American Hershey bar they all rave about, tastes like 'vomit' when it hits the back of the throat !

Personally I cant be doing with all the 'new' chocolates on the market (ok Thorntons arent new, but they've gone the way of the others) - I've said this on other threads, but all the ganaches, truffles and other squidgy/gaggy/sickly centres will never make up for the good old chocs of years ago.

I'm talking here of butterscotch/caramel/marzipan/ toffee & nougat/coffee cream, fudge, orange cream, and nutty whirl centres. Its a travesty what the 'chocolatiers' have done to the chocolate boxes of the past. My pet hate? Belgian seashells in two tone swirly chocolate with the most disgusting centre ever created !!!!! I've lost count of the number of boxes I have given away when given to me as presents.

Finally - someone after my own heart. I've been saying exactly this for years and no one agreed with me. I've been giving away those disgusting Belgian Seashells for years. I have found my soulmate! :)))))

Lily is the guest's daughter. Dale said last night. He also said they're only available in niche outlets apart from QVC (or words to that effect). No Dale, you can get them in Asda and TKMaxx.

I kept thinking the guest looked like someone else and finally realised it was Gillian McKeith!

Finally - someone after my own heart. I've been saying exactly this for years and no one agreed with me. I've been giving away those disgusting Belgian Seashells for years. I have found my soulmate! :)))))

Awwwww bless ! LOL !!!! We could be known as the CHOCOLATE TWO Fairy Alice, and march on Parliament. !!!!!

I did hear a 'chocolatier' say a few years ago that these 'new centres' are what people wanted !!!

er eh ? When has a manufacturer EVER listened to a consumer ? we now have a generation who have never known the joy of actually BITING into a hard chocolate. They will never know what an original Black Magic choccy tasted like. Even Old Gold has gone the way of the soggy centre. There was a time when you could buy a box of solely HARD centres - no doubt Health & Safety have issues with teeth being broken and manufacturers being sued !!!!

I agree, what happened to the proper nut cluster whirl in Dairy Milk chocolate boxes, the one they have now is a poor imitation ......... and good old Black Magic chocolates, I used to love those but then the contents were changed. Yuck. My sister would only have Black Magic chocs and was so upset when they changed, she contacted the manufacturers. They told her they had updated the chocs to reflect the demand for more continental style chocs. Why can't they leave things alone?

Lily O'Briens - I have tried once and thought they were quite nice. Thorntons are nice but I find all the soft centres a bit sickening, but then again, I might be a bit greedy when eating chocs:mysmilie_5:

I like Lily O'Brians chocs...very nice indeed, they get a thumbsup from me.

I also like any other chocolates...so if anyone has any they can't possibly eat, pass them on to me:wink:

Ooops dont know what happened there, but there is a lorry load of Belgian seashells winging its way to you Dottiebird

Latest posts

Back