Laundry advice for Kelly

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
I bought 832715 the other day. Kelly Hoppen bedspread. Got it for 38 quid, must have been an anniversary price or something cos back up to £56 now. It's nice.

ANYway it's 100% cotton with polyester fill and says dry lean only on the care label. Erm no. I will NOT be having this dry cleaned.

What do you reckon? 30 degree wash? Since when was cotton and poly dry clean only?

I reckon don't have breakfast in bed with the sunday papers then with luck the decision can be postponed...

Can't see what harm a 30 degree. wash can do.
I've never ruined anything cotton on a 30.

Disclaimer. LEL takes no responsibility for any damage that may occur during the washing of BB's sheets.

I've just washed my new Next parka coat that says "dry clean only" on Woolens cycle at 30 C.
It has faux fur and faux leather trim and came out very nicely from the wash.
I took the risk - it paid off.
I wash all my coats in washing machine and they always come out well.
They are all from Next too.
I personally do not like the idea of dry cleaning, it means that whatever chemicals they use will stay in the fibers, and I want all chemicals to be washed out from my clothes. When I finish a washing cycle I always run the same washing in the washing machine with water only just to rinse it well. :)

It probably says dry clean as you may find the cotton shrinks around the edges of the stitched panels, resulting in a puckering effect if you wash it? I would also however be tempted to try & wash it, though I'd take it to a launderette & stick it one of their extra capacity machines, as I bet it also creases like a b*tch if you don't give it enough room!

Gawd knows how you'd dry it, as it looks quite thick & I wouldn't fancy it's chances in a tumble dryer, though you may have to resort to that (maybe at the end when it's getting close to dry) to re-distribute & re-fluff up the filling?

Eureka!!! Wash it and see what happens, it's on extended Xmas MBG !!!! Or is it? :)
Even it has now gone up in price you can request a replacement and the price rise won't affect you.

Last edited:
Iv just ruined a wool coat today. Was out with the boys and they just laughed there head off as I slid down the side of our common in the mud my new jacket now ruined, as I came home and 'risked' it on a wool wash, not only is the stain still there but the coat is not shrunk but just all out of shape. I wont ever by an expensive dry clean only garment again. I knew I would get it mudded up in this stupid climate of ours. anyway I should have waited had it cleaned but with it saying wool, I thought if I wash it in Dreft on the wool thing, it will be ok, same as all my other wool stuff. No its ruined, Still it gave the lads a right laugh, pity was at my expense (in both meanings of the word)!

I'm very sorry to hear this tristar. Woolen garments need to be reshaped after washing, have you tried this? And no tumble drying.

What about a cold wash BB with extra spin and removed immediately, hung from door by trouser clipped hangers for creases to fall out and dry. Don't like the thought of dry cleaning chemicals on a hot bed! :wink:

Ill do it on cold and hang it over the balcony on the mezzanine (yes, read it and weep, bitches) to dry.

Ill do it on cold and hang it over the balcony on the mezzanine (yes, read it and weep, bitches) to dry.

I am weeping; if I'd realised you only had a mezzanine & not a proper bedroom (y'know with walls & a door & stuff!) I wouldn't have suggested washing it, gonna be such a struggle for you to get it dry in such a small space......but do your best! :mysmilie_853:

Come back & tell us <s>how badly it puckered</s> how it worked out now, won't you........? xx

:mysmilie_845: :mysmilie_61:

I am weeping; if I'd realised you only had a mezzanine & not a proper bedroom (y'know with walls & a door & stuff!) I wouldn't have suggested washing it, gonna be such a struggle for you to get it dry in such a small space......but do your best! :mysmilie_853:

Come back & tell us <s>how badly it puckered</s> how it worked out now, won't you........? xx

:mysmilie_845: :mysmilie_61:

Omg. How do you know me so well? :giggle:

Omg. How do you know me so well? :giggle:

Let us, once again, look at the evidence:

1. You frequently mention a certain city, I presume you live there; if in the city itself space is at a premium, apartments are small & stupidly expensive.....unless you're filthy rich!

2. If you were filthy rich, you wouldn't be mithering about dry cleaning a dry-clean-only item!

3. I have known you be many things, though even jokingly, 'smug' not being one of them, hence the 'read it & weep, bitches' gave it away.....!

Ergo, you have a (albeit very nice, very clean, probably extremely tidy!), one step up from a glorified studio apartment! (I'd love to be right, am I? lol) :giggle:

p.s. When you do hang the wretched thing over your blasted mezzanine balcony, I'd hang it the opposite way to how the panels run or you might put too much strain on the panels & either pull it out of shape, or worse, split the stitching if it's lying in just the wrong place?

(I know you're smart enough to think of this yourself & it probably won't make a dramatic difference but even so.....! lol) xx

I think n best plan is to try not to "soil" it...... If you know what I mean. Easier said than done.

I think n best plan is to try not to "soil" it...... If you know what I mean. Easier said than done.

Well KH is always yakking on about 'dressing the bed', so maybe follow her advice & have it on just for 'show', whipping it off before it's likely to see any 'action'....? 'Course, then you'd need somewhere to chuck it......:thinking:.........not easy to temporarily store a large bulky item like that, you'd need something close to your sleeping area..........:wonder:........wait, let me think :wait:............I don't suppose you're likely enough to have a........no, you wouldn't, how silly of me............although, it would be ideal and close to hand..........do you by some small chance have a handy mezzanine balcony to hang it over......?
:grin:

Latest posts

Back