l`Occitane en Provence animal testing?????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Caroleanne

Registered Shopper
The Belfry at Yarcombe, Restaurant & Rooms
This is one of the reasons why we use L'OCCITANE en Provence in our rooms - because they support sustainable palm oil production, which is certified to have no negative impact on people, animals or the environment.

Did I read in a recent thread that they do animal testing as I would like to put the above hotel right .... if they do it smacks at double standards

I don't believe they do animal testing. However, seen as they now sell in China, where all beauty products must be tested on animals by law, they have lost their leaping bunny status.

I could be wrong, am sure someone else has more knowledge, but I think this is the case.

You are correct MK.

A product can be made in China and still be BUAV approved as long as it isn't sold to the public. As soon as it is sold in China, it must be tested on animals as per law.

Stupid if you ask me and it's the reason I no longer buy L'Occitane.

A few years ago, Urban Decay announced plans to sell in China, but they soon reversed the decision after customers announced that they would no longer purchase the brand if they went ahead.

Minxykitten is correct. L'Occitane do not test but any beauty products sold in China(strangely does not apply to products made there but sold outside there), is tested by law by the Chinese themselves.

They did lose the Leaping Bunny because of this, but many still use the brand because they say well they don't test themselves. Quite a few companies now sell in China and this has caused outrage. Urban Decay had customers threatening boycotts if they sold to China(the company gave the most stupid statement in the history of excuses for why they had to sell products in China. They would work to stop animal testing, oh and abuse against women etc), but had to back down in the end.

The have been a few articles lately saying the Chinese are moving towards not having the rule, but when no one knows?

Palm oil production in Borneo is destroying the habitats of the orang-utans.
Be interested to know where L'occy palm oil comes from.

L'occitane continues to remind us of it's "no animal testing" policy; it is, however, fully cognisant of the fact that, for a product to be able to be sold in China, animal testing must be executed. This is why I stopped using it. As Cathy Kangas said - on air - if you buy a product which is sold in China, you are animal testing. Before buying any item, I have to be convinced that no animal testing has been carried out, by any party in the chain. L'occitane cannot claim this as fact, so, consequently, I will never use this product again. Just refraining from buying from this range does not remove any guilt; actually using the product indicates that animal testing is not a concern of your's. Whilst I certainly appreciate the dangers caused by palm oil production, eradicating animal testing in all products takes precedence for me.

Very few brands stocked by Qvc have Buav /Leaping Bunny certified status - wen, melvita, bellapierre, Liz Earle. Thats the only certification I trust as independent audits are carried out in relation to the company and their supply chain. If a company only has PETA certificate I won't buy as all PETA requires is a statement from the company.

Very few brands stocked by Qvc have Buav /Leaping Bunny certified status - wen, melvita, bellapierre, Liz Earle. Thats the only certification I trust as independent audits are carried out in relation to the company and their supply chain. If a company only has PETA certificate I won't buy as all PETA requires is a statement from the company.

It's funny that you mention Melvita because L'Occitane bought that company in 2008! So L'Occitane obviously aren't selling Melvita in China then.

It's funny that you mention Melvita because L'Occitane bought that company in 2008! So L'Occitane obviously aren't selling Melvita in China then.

I guess you could same for Liz Earle aswell , as AVON own the brand and they test on animals.

I always thought I liked the ethos behind the Liz Earle range from when she first began. Obviously, customers opinions and concerns these days don't matter as they once did. I only discovered about 3 months ago, that the company was owned by Avon who I have never considered a top notch company and one from way back in my youth which sold to people frankly, who couldn't afford good skin care or cosmetics, this was the group they sold mainly to, and did party plans etc. i'm talking about the 50s and 60s mainly. So, I never held them in high esteem.

I recall being totally amazed that Liz Earle and all she said she stood for would sell her company to such as Avon, so I contacted the Liz Earle company through their own website from which I had previously ordered as well as from QVC. I had two or three email communications with the Liz Earle team, telling them in my initial email that since this was the news I'd just heard (that day) I would no longer be buying anything from the Liz Earle range, and told them of my utter disgust.

You know folks, at the end of the day it's who can make the most money from us punters, I think ethics has gone out the door, which I why I so respect the likes of Cathy Kangus this is a woman who not only talks the talk, but she walks the walk - a true advocate for the well being of those who cannot speak for themselves.

I don't buy Liz Earle and won't again, and I've never purchased L'Occitane other than hand cream and that was seven years ago - there's much better on the market, who do not sell to China.

I think ethics has gone out the door, which I why I so respect the likes of Cathy Kangus this is a woman who not only talks the talk, but she walks the walk - a true advocate for the well being of those who cannot speak for themselves.

As far as I'm aware Prai is not accredited by Cruelty Free International, and can't use the leaping bunny logo on their products. What I want to establish is just how cruelty-free Prai products are - Cathy Kangus keeps saying she doesn't test her products on animals, but I've emailed her three times asking for information about her ingredients and what protocols she has in place to ensure they're cruelty-free, and I have yet to receive a reply. This reaction is exactly the same as Gatineau, Decleor, Elemis etc., which are not cruelty-free, so until Ms Kangus proves her ingredients are cruelty-free I remain to be convinced that she's any different from all the rest. I think three emails has given her a fair chance.

I agree ohnonotshoppingagain about ethics going out of the window. I love Bobbi Brown gel liner - as an eye liner aficionado I can honestly say it is one of the best, but my ethics prevent me from buying it. Similarly, I really love Bodyshop products and their ginger shampoo has completely knocked my sons dandruff on the head, but I cannot buy it again because of MY personal ethics. I am astounded that someone as principled as Anita Roddick would have sold the company to L'oreal; I know she must have had personal reasons and she passed away quite soon after, but surely TBS could have been sold to a more ethical company.

I will not purchase products that test on animals or are owned by companies that test on animals. Similarly, I will not buy products that give money to countries involved in genocide. L'oreal, Bobbi Brown, smashbox, urban decay, Aveda and lots of other brands all fund Israel from their profits. Well, they will not get a penny from me.

As far as I'm aware Prai is not accredited by Cruelty Free International, and can't use the leaping bunny logo on their products. What I want to establish is just how cruelty-free Prai products are - Cathy Kangus keeps saying she doesn't test her products on animals, but I've emailed her three times asking for information about her ingredients and what protocols she has in place to ensure they're cruelty-free, and I have yet to receive a reply. This reaction is exactly the same as Gatineau, Decleor, Elemis etc., which are not cruelty-free, so until Ms Kangus proves her ingredients are cruelty-free I remain to be convinced that she's any different from all the rest. I think three emails has given her a fair chance.

That's how I feel too. I check the cruelty free international website regularly to check if as brand is certified. I'll only buy from brands with that certification. Im suspicious of brands/reps that claim no animals testing if they've not bothered gaining independent certification and audit to prove it.

Latest posts

Back