Just read on MSN that Thomas Kinkade has died, anyone else heard this?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mediastar

Registered Shopper
He was only 54!

No matter that I didn't like his work, nor the somewhat spurious spiritual overtones, that is terribly young!

RIP if it is so

Didn't really care for his work, a bit kitsch for me and his mass marketing is beyond belief ... kind of takes the art out of it (if there was "art" in it) and he or his operation was apparently a bit dodgy in some areas of commerce. Was taken to court for dubious practices with his franchises. That bit is a little complicated to me but is a warning if you ever think about taking on a franchise ... But that age is young in today's world to 'buy the farm'. Seems to have done some good work for charity. So it's all a mixed bag as most things are.

RIP Thomas Kinkade

I hated his paintings and wouldn't have displayed them in my home, although I appreciated that the man could most certainly paint...but I LOVED his work on things that could get away with being a little bit kitsch iykwim! I had a bag, a purse, and a brolly with his peace garden on it and I liked his xmas decorations but couldn't afford them sadly. Most of the stuff I found a bit spooky/funereal for my liking. Painting in heaven now!

So sad, natural causes apparently. I think he had a drink problem one time.

I'm sure I've read that too, and a habit of urinating in public places as well. It's very sad to hear of anyone dying at such a young age though.

Last edited:
I've not seen his work on QVC, so presumably something from the past? Thanks for the link Scouser, interesting background information in that DM article. Just doing a Google and it seems a new spring collection has been released. Some collectors may be anticipating a rise in value of his original work.....it seems to have been very popular in the US? R I P

http://www.thomaskinkade.com/magi/s...oryId=990&searchOrderBy=ByDate&searchType=all

I really like his paintings but could never afford a copy - guess it'll be even worse now he's gone! I do have some Christmas decorations and a couple of books though.

Regardless of what one thought of his work, or him, 54 is much too young to shuffle off his mortal coil. RIP

I seem to remember a post on here a long time ago about him having done something rather unsavoury. I am being careful here as I can't remember what it was. I don't like his work at all it was mass produced and overpriced in my opinion.

He was at some sort of public event was discovered drunk and wee'd in a lift and over a statue of Winnie the pooh. He also was accused of touching a woman up. Hardly very high of the list of misdemeanors but Thomas was very vocal in his religious beliefs so being pissed in public didn't go down well. He immediately went public with an apology and made references to going through a difficult period in his life.... But with the love of God and my family I will pull through etc etc

I think he took a lower profile after that

It's not a competition vamps ner ner ner

Bet you didn't know his 4 daughters were called Merritt, Chandler, Winsor and Everett...... Don't tell Julia!

Latest posts

Back