Julian Ballantyne v Miceal Murphy

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well put it this way,if I did it to women at work I don't think it would be appreciated. And he is at work... No?

What's wrong with just using their name?

It saves him from having to remember names!! For the small amount of time that they're together I think it's acceptable. All day every day may be a bit much!

I have warmed to M, I think he is a very good, professional presenter. Not exactly my kind, but there is no eye candy on Q at all. I like Julian but I think I would like him better down the pub, if you know what I mean?!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

I agree with Capirossi, i work in an environment where is see lots of different people and
sometimes you forget names, and some of the staff say "love", but in Belfast its a sort
of saying of ours, hello love , how are you. Its patronising, so i try not to say it , but
some of the older people like you calling them it. Calling someone "my love" is different,
its a saying you would say to your partner of close one . I wouldnt dream of saying it to
anyone in work

Equally I don't like being called mate, I'm not your mate. Same goes for pal, fella and (popular amongst the gays) "mister". Call me by my name or don't bother, ok?

Well put it this way,if I did it to women at work I don't think it would be appreciated. And he is at work... No?

What's wrong with just using their name?

I think it's more of a local term perhaps...when I used to work in Stoke, everyone called everyone 'sug' or 'duck/ie'...I think it's absolutely fine. Personally, I think there are more important things for people to get offended by, but you know what it's like these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't stand the phrase "are you ok chuck" it gets right up my nose.

Sir Burlz sounds good to me
thoeps.gif

Being from the North myself, I used to quite like Julian years ago but he now annoys me quite a lot. He says he isn't a technical person and hasn't a clue about items like computer stuff etc but he's certainly way more knowledgeable than little old me. I'd far rather the presenters said 'Okay, I know about computers but let's just run through things from the basics' than pretend to be computer-literate. Common failing all round I think but it particularly grates with me when Julian says it.

The thing that really annoys me is when Julian gives the item number and then says 'So there'. Yep, so there what???

Whinge over with.

I think it's more of a local term perhaps...when I used to work in Stoke, everyone called everyone 'sug' or 'duck/ie'...I think it's absolutely fine. Personally, I think there are more important things for people to get offended by, but you know what it's like these days.

As a general rule, I don't get offended by anything but I have a particuar (& completely irrational!) dislike of being referred to as 'duck' - I have always informed any workmen, builders etc. that if they wish to attract my attention (& can't remember my actual name!), I will answer to almost anything (love, missis, oi you, etc.) but call me 'duck' & I'll spit in their tea or something! (Obviously I wouldn't actually spit in their tea, that would be gross but I would not be a happy bunny!)

Like BB's 'Sir', I have no objection to being called 'Ma'am' (unless it is the sarcastic 'Madam' so beloved of shop assistants having a bad day! lol) & I will sometimes choose to call US companies instead of emailing them just so I can get called 'Ma'am' at the end of every sentence! :happy:

I love being called Ma'am when visiting our family in Florida and Mr. Poppy likes being called Sir. Makes ya feel special!!! My MIL was born in the Elephant and Castle area of London and always called everyone 'duckie'. On the other hand people from Leicester say 'me duck'. Me - I call people darlin'!! I sound a bit like the late Wendy Richard.

No................I never call people tweacle!!! (I'm tryin ard to say sumfink funny - but need anuver cup of rosie before me ead gets going) x

These regional idiosyncranies have been around since man could speak, and to be honest I cant ever remember my Gran or my Mum complaining about being called love, duck, tweacle or darlin' during the war years and after. Its obviously a younger generation 'thing' who object to being "patronised" , and an even younger generation who mix in gangs and want "respect". All very laughable really considering how short our lives are.

HOWEVER, I do find Jill Franks saying "my lovely" a bit toooooo false.

These regional idiosyncranies have been around since man could speak, and to be honest I cant ever remember my Gran or my Mum complaining about being called love, duck, tweacle or darlin' during the war years and after. Its obviously a younger generation 'thing' who object to being "patronised" , and an even younger generation who mix in gangs and want "respect". All very laughable really considering how short our lives are.

HOWEVER, I do find Jill Franks saying "my lovely" a bit toooooo false.

I rest my case. This is exactly the same as JB calling females "my love".

Although at least he hasn't gone as far as 2-cheek air kissing every guest at the start and end of every sale. So far.

I have to agree with you. Julian is just ok. Miceal interacts well with the guests I feel.

Latest posts

Back