Josie Maran

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have no idea what it's supposed to smell like or the colour so will be no wiser when I receive it.
Lynn

Some argan oil does have a slight smell sort of nutty. If it smells perfumery then it is mixed. Quite a few don't like the smell hence some places refine it down until no smell at all.

The nuts are eaten by the goats the women collect the pooped out bits but then they are boiled and boiled and boiled to get the oil out. Some brands the higher ends one like Mir actually pick the nuts(no goats).

The smell has never bothered me at all. In fact if it has a sort of rustic smell does mean its the real thing.

The Liz Earle one is argan oil mixed with other oils so her version is not pure argan.

Oh by the way mine came in a brown glass bottle, one review said it should.

Argan oil and other nutty type oils, essential oils and the like should definitely come in a brown glass bottle to protect them from light which can distort/break them down and affect their efficacy. Clear bottles/tubes/jars should be avoided for as many products as possible really. The glass is preferable because of the fear of plastic bottles contaminating the product. I don't know if I subscribe to that theory personally, but it's the thinking behind opting for glass.

I received my argan oil yesterday, that I bought elsewhere I can trust and have bought from there before. Opened it this afternoon, and sorry to say, it does smell of goats (or stinky cheese, or dirty socks), or may be it is its own smell (for example, like borage oil may smell of mold ). And as I have never used a "pure" argan oil before, except LE Superskin Oil I don't know what it should be like. Mine is also organic and cold pressed as the Josie Maran. I went to Josie Maran own site, there's no mention in reviews on smell. Probably mine is not deodorized. I thought that argan oil has a wonderful smell of LE Superskin Oil :))) Also, mine is not as golden yellow as LE, I remember they brought a large jar on the show for demos.

Where did you get yours from Marina? they do vary a lot but I'm sure there should be a smell but not a stinky one. Mind you I was convinced one I bought smelt of goat but a friend who loves olives said it smelled like them, I don't like olives so wasn't sure but tend to compare mine to see if it smells vaguely like my olive cooking oil.

that being said the douvalls one I've bought a good number of times does vary in how much it smells so I guess batches can smell differently too. I would say it shouldn't smell horrible, it should be a yellowy sort of colour, if its deodorised it has no smell but I prefer mine not to be.

Where did you get yours from Marina? they do vary a lot but I'm sure there should be a smell but not a stinky one. Mind you I was convinced one I bought smelt of goat but a friend who loves olives said it smelled like them, I don't like olives so wasn't sure but tend to compare mine to see if it smells vaguely like my olive cooking oil.

that being said the douvalls one I've bought a good number of times does vary in how much it smells so I guess batches can smell differently too. I would say it shouldn't smell horrible, it should be a yellowy sort of colour, if its deodorised it has no smell but I prefer mine not to be.
LADY TIA I buy from Aromantic, they have very good quality staff
This is their Argan Oil
http://www.aromantic.co.uk/buy-argan-oil-organic-uk.htm
I have to admit I'm not keen on olive oil or olives so may be this is it, but I think they smell differently, I'll compare.

Last edited:
Aromantic as you say are a good company, I love their range of products so it may just be the particular batch you have or the methods they use to cold press etc. Hopefully you'll like it on your skin and enjoy the benefits slightly stinky or not :) you need to find someone who likes olives to have a sniff for you, I was so surprised when I shared mine with my friend and she thought it had a lovely smell :)

Aromantic as you say are a good company, I love their range of products so it may just be the particular batch you have or the methods they use to cold press etc. Hopefully you'll like it on your skin and enjoy the benefits slightly stinky or not :) you need to find someone who likes olives to have a sniff for you, I was so surprised when I shared mine with my friend and she thought it had a lovely smell :)

There is one you can get from Superdrug (free delivery to home till the 10th or free delivery to the store now too!) It is from the American brand Organix. My sister bought it & really likes it. It is just for the hair I think though. Moroccan oil copy! It is £9.99.They also do a sulfate free shampoo & conditioner with Moroccan oil in! I bought the shampoo recently & will be testing it tomorrow! It was £7 for385 ml! More than I usually pay for a shampoo! Wanted to try a sulphate free shampoo but also has argan oil aspect! I'll see how it goes anyway :)

There is one you can get from Superdrug (free delivery to home till the 10th or free delivery to the store now too!) It is from the American brand Organix. My sister bought it & really likes it. It is just for the hair I think though. Moroccan oil copy! It is £9.99.They also do a sulfate free shampoo & conditioner with Moroccan oil in! I bought the shampoo recently & will be testing it tomorrow! It was £7 for385 ml! More than I usually pay for a shampoo! Wanted to try a sulphate free shampoo but also has argan oil aspect! I'll see how it goes anyway :)

Hiya, I've seen that brand and it looks nice but I only use argan oil for my skin not on my hair, on my hair I use phylia de m from Victoria health as I have a lot of hair loss etc and it has helped a bit. I've looked at the organix styling stuff though but am sticking with my home made flax seed gel - I'm allergic to loads of things including any sort of fragrance sadly. Hope it works for you though, I've been sulfate free for years and I think for me, there is a big difference in how dry your hair gets with sulphate versus non sulfate shampoos and I need all the help I can get :)

I bought Argan oil from tk max and used it on my hair and its been terrible My hair looks all dull not shiney. Can anyone tell me the best way to use it in the hair. I use it on my skin and it has been good by really wanted it for my hair to try to tame it a bit after coming back curly from chemo.

I bought Argan oil from tk max and used it on my hair and its been terrible My hair looks all dull not shiney. Can anyone tell me the best way to use it in the hair. I use it on my skin and it has been good by really wanted it for my hair to try to tame it a bit after coming back curly from chemo.

Hi sunshine, was it pure argan oil or a blended product?

3 drops would be too much for my hair, it would make it dull and greasy. It totally depends on the length, thickness and condition of your hair, but I would start with 1 drop, then add more if your hair soaks it up. I usually apply the night before I'm washing my hair, leave it in all night and wash in the morning.

I have some pure argan oil I got on eBay and it does have a strongish scent - not unpleasant though. You could add a drop of essential oil if you don't like it (as long as you're not putting it on your face and are not sensitive to essential oils).

The Moroccanoil product is very expensive and full of rubbish, definitely not pure argan oil.

Just copied the packaging for the Melvita Argan Oil for face and body, if that helps.

scan0002.jpg

Hope I've done it right:whew:

I add a few drops of argan oil to my conditioner and find that suits my hair the best , I add one or two drops straight after rinsing my hair while its still wet every few weeks as a booster treatment .

I add a few drops of argan oil to my conditioner and find that suits my hair the best , I add one or two drops straight after rinsing my hair while its still wet every few weeks as a booster treatment .

Thanks Autumn. I probably have overloaded with it. I really need to wash every day as I am like curly tops every morning . I might just add some to my conditioner. Do you add it to your bottle of just mix it every time you wash your hair?

Thanks Whatsgoinon. There was no instructions how to use or how much to use with mine.

Thanks Autumn. I probably have overloaded with it. I really need to wash every day as I am like curly tops every morning . I might just add some to my conditioner. Do you add it to your bottle of just mix it every time you wash your hair?

Thanks Whatsgoinon. There was no instructions how to use or how much to use with mine.

I just mix it every time I use it but I don't see why u couldn't added it to the bottle , may make the conditioner in the bottle slightly running thou , so becareful when ur pouring it . Let us know how u get on :wave:

You're welcome, Sunshine...not sure what type of bottle you have, this one is a pump action and I have only used it on my face and neck area with any excess on my elbows. Normally for me it's half a pump, a little goes a long way...may try some in my conditioner:mysmilie_59:

It was a pure Argan oil. Creations Garden is the make. I washed my hair as normal and then put 3 drops argan oil on hands and run through hair

Hi sunshine the OPs have given much better advice/info than I could have done, I don't use it on my hair I just wondered if you'd purchased a hair product with argan or pure argan oil, I have curly very fine hair but wouldn't use argan on it other than as a pre-wash treatment -maybe try it that way round rather than after washing? Good luck , I hope you can find a way of using it that works for you :)

Latest posts

Back