Joan Collins To Be Made a Dame

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's been long overdue IMO

But she is an amazing sales woman

(I'm not part of her fan club or anything, but see why she wouldn't be sacked in a million years etc)

The things she says that are unethical in my opinion, are probably what shifts most of the stock she sells.

I really don't understand the honours system. Do they honour scientists, the medical profession, the emergency services, real-life heroes, people who do a lot for charity? All I see is them pampering the egos of people who pretend or sing for a living. The whole system needs a shake up if you ask me, along with ridding parliament of the paedophiles and their sympathisers. We think this country is great, and it is compared with a lot of others, but scratch beneath the surface and it's dark, very dark.

I like Joanie. She's a terrible actress but she is a great character. No-one should get honoured for making films/music/art. I think it should be about making a difference to people's lives, not their wardrobes, walls or dvd collection! Just my opinion of course!

I heartily agree with the above; but my stand is that HOW ON EARTH can Joan Collins be given an award for services for 'whatever' during her terrible acting 'career' - can anyone name ANYTHING of note (DYNASTY doesn't count) , that can be mentioned in the same breath as Dame Judi Dench and Dame Maggie Smith for heavens sake !!! These two icons must be rolling their eyes in amazement and shaking their heads. Two Grand Dames and one who will always be just a 'dame'.

I shall leave the Country if the next 'Dame' is Victoria Beckham for services to er,....... pop music/fashion - or even becomes a Lady if her old man (God forbid) becomes a Knight of the Realm !!!!!!

I heartily agree with the above; but my stand is that HOW ON EARTH can Joan Collins be given an award for services for 'whatever' during her terrible acting 'career' - can anyone name ANYTHING of note (DYNASTY doesn't count) , that can be mentioned in the same breath as Dame Judi Dench and Dame Maggie Smith for heavens sake !!! These two icons must be rolling their eyes in amazement and shaking their heads. Two Grand Dames and one who will always be just a 'dame'.

I shall leave the Country if the next 'Dame' is Victoria Beckham for services to er,....... pop music/fashion - or even becomes a Lady if her old man (God forbid) becomes a Knight of the Realm !!!!!!

I'm with you there too! To Joanie's credit, apparently she has often said that she doesn't deserve an honour as she hadn't produced anything of note like Dame Judy and Maggie. For all her heirs and graces, she comes across as rather humble.

I think it is fundamentally spiteful and, basically, nasty to recommend that Debs is sacked. She has done nothing illegal, or contrary to her terms of employment. To want to cause her to lose her job is incomprehensible. This is a forum and we are all allowed, consequently to express our opinions; Debs is regarded by some on here, as being on a par with the butcher, morally. Yes, she may be a perpetrator of the hard sell technique, but this is no reason for her to be fired.
Back to the theme of the thread, one of the traditions we have in this country, which I envied greatly by the US, is our honours system. Whilst Joan does not rate too highly in the acting stakes for me, I do believe that as a UK entertainment icon, she is deserving of the honour. I would not say she is in the same ball park, re her acting talent, as Helen Mirren, or Judi Dench. As a representative of our nation, internationally she is a positive ambassador for us. I can see the same coming to Jackie.
Well done.

I think it is fundamentally spiteful and, basically, nasty to recommend that Debs is sacked. She has done nothing illegal, or contrary to her terms of employment. To want to cause her to lose her job is incomprehensible. This is a forum and we are all allowed, consequently to express our opinions; Debs is regarded by some on here, as being on a par with the butcher, morally. Yes, she may be a perpetrator of the hard sell technique, but this is no reason for her to be fired.
Back to the theme of the thread, one of the traditions we have in this country, which I envied greatly by the US, is our honours system. Whilst Joan does not rate too highly in the acting stakes for me, I do believe that as a UK entertainment icon, she is deserving of the honour. I would not say she is in the same ball park, re her acting talent, as Helen Mirren, or Judi Dench. As a representative of our nation, internationally she is a positive ambassador for us. I can see the same coming to Jackie.
Well done.

If Debbie Flint had done nothing wrong, then the winner of the auction would still have her prize.

Well done.

Oh dear. If this is the best that our nation can come up with as an international ambassador - a Rank starlet of raunchy movies who lives abroad more than here, stars in Snickers ads, and will attend the opening of an envelope, then I weep. Who'll be next in line I wonder, Barbara Windsor ????? that other 'national treasure, and star of Bingo ads' !

Crumbs I think I've missed something ! ....... Joan Collins ...not a big fan ...perhaps more humility now she is older and she seems more friendly but I i just keep hearing the great Tony Curits in my ears when he told her in no uncertain terms to " stop being a beep beep beep " when she took her time to go back on the set of a film they appeared in together ...lol....sounds like she was arrogant and rude ...I know Tony was no Angel but good for him l..��

Well done.

Joan and Jackie Collins for the NY honours list?! Why, exactly? Can you explain to me, in laymans terms as I am obvious missing something fundamental here, what they've done to deserve it? Joan has appeared in a few mediocre films and a 2 successful 80's soap operas. Jackie has made a living out of writing very bad smut. Why do they deserve to be honoured by the Queen and our country? And while you're at it, can you also explain what is so commendable about acting/singing/writing/drawing?! Oh it's so labour intensive and poorly paid. Poor things, these people risk life and limb on a daily basis to entertain us. I don't know how they do it :-/

Bleeding heck, we'll be dishing out Damehoods to the cast of Corrie and Eastenders next. We also need to stop handing out honorary degrees to all and sundry, especially those in the entertainment world. We live in a world where people would rather worship a bunch of egotistical actors and completely disregard the people striving to make it a better place, often at great risk to their lives. It's like when people thank god, and not the doctor, when a life is saved.... I despair of this shallow, thoughtless world and the sheeple that live in it without thinking for themselves, I really do.

But she is an amazing sales woman

(I'm not part of her fan club or anything, but see why she wouldn't be sacked in a million years etc)

The things she says that are unethical in my opinion, are probably what shifts most of the stock she sells.

Reading further on Facebook, the idea seems that she was the one who won the auction, and gave it as a birthday gift to the other Admin on the Queens Page!!!!

Now that is against the rules of company auctions and competitions. It always says in the small print, no employees or members of the company may enter. The winning bidder did not want their name mentioned just Sharon whoever that is was given to.

QVC have cancelled the auction and are still investigating, so the charity has lost out as the auction is Null and Void.

Maybe I am missing something; what exactly did Debs do, which would justify her dismissal? I haven't seen any proven facts. I appreciate all comments, I just think calling for someone to become unemployed is nasty, and would benefit no-one. Just my pov.

Not big on NY honours myself. Leaving aside why they got them, we may not be aware of work done outside their public face (I'm being charitable here) I feel that those living outside the UK shouldn't be eligible.

There are some amazing surgeons and the like in this country who have saved lives .....honours showed be bestowed on them....i am totally in awe of them

Talking of honours, my brother is a senior officer in the London Fire Brigade and if I knew how to nominate him I would. I am always stunned, sickened and proud (what a combo) to hear about his "experiences". Unbelievable, second only to an army on the battlefield, in my very biased opinion.

I'm showing off now but don't stop me ! He has been granted the freedom of the city for services rendered. I need a new outfit for his ceremony ! Our late Dad was a refugee and asylum seeker after WW2 and would be sooo proud of him.

Linda xx

Latest posts

Back