Jilly Halliday

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Good grief, it's incredibly worrying that many teachers appear to lack basic literacy, and are let loose in the UK education system. I really despair at current standards, and it's obvious that teacher training is not all it should be.

I don't remember getting any grammar lessons when I did teacher training.
Having said that, I went to a grammar school many moons ago, so I had it drummed into me.
I think children these days are expected to be literate by the time they are 13 and grammar goes out the window in the educational process from that time forward.:sad:

I have often thought all the ex dancers, JH, JF and even her maj, who uses interesting syntax and tenses, must have curtailed their education to concentrate on the dancing. The other hoofer, CS, I don't think ever made it past the reception class.

I don't remember getting any grammar lessons when I did teacher training.
Having said that, I went to a grammar school many moons ago, so I had it drummed into me.
I think children these days are expected to be literate by the time they are 13 and grammar goes out the window in the educational process from that time forward.:sad:

One of the latest initiatives is to include the teaching of literacy in all core subjects up to Key Stage 4. My daughter is Head of Maths at a large 11 - 18 comprehensive school and is now expected to incorporate this into the Maths syllabus. Fortunately, she has an excellent grasp of English grammar, but I am sorry to say that from my own experience, this is not the case with many teachers.

Couldn't you just stuff a dictionary under her nose? :clapping:

I did the same with my son's second school. One teacher told him that phantasmagorical wasn't a word and actually wrote on his book not to make words up! Another one hadn't got a clue about possessive apostrophes. When I complained that his work was marked correct when it wasn't, I got a super-sarcy letter from the head saying that I'd taken things "out of context" (impossible...an apostrophe is either correct or it's not!). When I complained to the board of governors, my letter was clearly intercepted by said super-sarcy head!
By then I'd had enough...but really I should have taken the matter further.

Thank heavens I've not had any trouble with his other 2 schools!
It made me learn to take OFsted reports with a pinch of salt :grin:

I find the phantasmagorical episode amazing! As you say it does exist as a word BUT If I were a teacher and a child in my class had had the imagination to invent a wonderful term like that, I would be praising his imagination and not criticising.

While we are on the subject, how do you all feel about the current trend of using the following type of "sentences":

"I would OF done that" or "You should OF known that" etc etc

While we are on the subject, how do you all feel about the current trend of using the following type of "sentences":

crafty, we had a whole thread in the Drop about that very thing. I can't stand such lazy and incorrect use of English, and if someone is guilty of it, I'm afraid I can;t take what they have to say seriously.

It is quite simply an example of sloppy speech being transferred into the written word with the end result being grammatically wrong.

As Puss, said, there was a huge thread about this in The Drop. Sadly there are so many examples of how our beautiful language is being ruined that the thread was rather a long one!

It is quite simply an example of sloppy speech being transferred into the written word with the end result being grammatically wrong.

As Puss, said, there was a huge thread about this in The Drop. Sadly there are so many examples of how our beautiful language is being ruined that the thread was rather a long one!

I'm always amazed by the many BBC presenters and correspondents who are unable (or too lazy) to construct gramatically correct and elegant sentences, presentations, questions, debates etc, despite many of them having been to Oxbridge universities. I find it very distracting and don't really listen to what they (are trying to) say, more on the way they are saying it.

One of the latest initiatives is to include the teaching of literacy in all core subjects up to Key Stage 4. My daughter is Head of Maths at a large 11 - 18 comprehensive school and is now expected to incorporate this into the Maths syllabus. Fortunately, she has an excellent grasp of English grammar, but I am sorry to say that from my own experience, this is not the case with many teachers.

It's my gut feeling (as an ex teacher of 7-11 year olds) that the problems lie in the way reading is being taught (or not as the case would seem). Children seem not to read to the teachers as they used to and there is this "group reading" thing...
Children won't correct each other and it is resulting in children reading inaccurately. My son is in his early teens and while he's a very bright child, his reading is AWWWWFUL!!! I haven't rammed it down him too much at home as I like our home time to be for other activities, I don't want to come the schoolteacher with him. Maybe I was wrong...maybe I should nag him more! :confused:

It's my gut feeling (as an ex teacher of 7-11 year olds) that the problems lie in the way reading is being taught (or not as the case would seem). Children seem not to read to the teachers as they used to and there is this "group reading" thing...
Children won't correct each other and it is resulting in children reading inaccurately. My son is in his early teens and while he's a very bright child, his reading is AWWWWFUL!!! I haven't rammed it down him too much at home as I like our home time to be for other activities, I don't want to come the schoolteacher with him. Maybe I was wrong...maybe I should nag him more! :confused:

I think your probably right, my niece is 8 this year and I feel she is very behind for her age, although I'm comparing her against myself and my sister at that age and that's going back 12 years now! I feel that not enough importance is placed on reading and writing these days, she still finds it hard to tell the time which worries me! I also feel that my brother and sister-in-law don't do enough at home to help her, however I suppose there is a fine line between too much at home and not enough.

I worry we are creating a generation of computer whizz kids who actually aren't that well educated.

Good grief, it's incredibly worrying that many teachers appear to lack basic literacy, and are let loose in the UK education system. I really despair at current standards, and it's obvious that teacher training is not all it should be.

I used to work for the Council, processing the Criminal Records (CRB) applications for teachers, and some of the spelling mistakes were atrocious. They all had to be handwritten too, so if wasn't as if they were typing errors. If I ever have a child, I'll be checking their marked homework to make sure the teachers have done it correctly! Very worrying.

I'm also guilty of sending letters back to the school I didn't like, with the spellings corrected on them.

337435.gif

It was the school's fault...the one class teacher my son had, who used to terrorise the children, once corrected something I'd written in his spelling book. I had made the grave error of daring to write a word without using JOINED UP writing! She pedantically wrote it again....FFS!!
That meant war....
887468.gif

Jilly is definitely my favourite QVC presenter. I love her personality, and I adore her long hair - I also have long hair like hers, although mine isn't as straight and has a bit of a natural wave/curl to it.

But I've got to agree with folks who say she really needs to get her ears pierced if she's going to carry on with the jewellery shows. It's OK holding the earrings up to her ears, but her fingers do get in the way, plus you can't get an idea of how heavy the earrings are to wear the same way as you could if you could see how much/little they're pulling on her lobes. And I think that it would really suit her if she did get them done.

And yes, she does have a few phrases that she uses a lot more than she should!!

Just a few layers cut in and a long, side sweeping fringe would take years off her and make her look much more up to date. Jilly is very pretty and I think it's a shame that she doesn't do something else with her hair because she could look stunning. Her hair is glossy but its also very limp looking and it looks like she puts a load of greasy styling product on the top which looks very weird to me.

I think she retains her hairstyle because she rides. There's nothing worse than having some fluffed up style stuck under a riding hat. If she keeps her sleek long hair, she can tie it neatly back while she's riding and comb it out after without needing a major reconstruction job.

As for pierced ears, I developed a metal allergy after having my ears pierced and it caused me grief for years with clothing. You don't realise just how many things have metal in until you come out covered in a nasty itchy rash all the time. Much safer not to have them done - after all, I'm sure QVC don't stick to just flogging 24ct gold/sterling silver.

This ongoing ear thing is really annoying. JH doesn''t have pierced ears because it's her choice and
SHE DOESN'T WANT THEM PIERCED!! Is it really that difficult to understand?? :doh: The presenters on the dedicated jewellery channels don't try on earrings either so what's all the ****** fuss about!!?? :headbang:

Latest posts

Back