Jackie Kabler doesn't want Diamonique

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have a friend who owns a 'cash for gold' type of shop, and I was interested to learn that when clients come in to sell their jewellery, it is literally the gold weight that's of interest. The stones - precious or not, have little/no cash value at all, and are usually taken from the setting and discarded - unless we are talking serious carat weight.

I am never ceased to be amazed that 18 carat jewellery (rings in particular) can realise very little money at auction, which means that jewellers have huuuuge mark ups in their shop windows.

When my husband and I got married years ago I didn't have an engagement ring. We really didn't have the money at the time to spend hundreds/thousands of pounds on a ring and we were only engaged for a short time before we actually got married so I suppose we just never got round to it. It never really bothered me other than that I thought it would have been nice, on the day, to see my wedding band beside another ring. I was going to borrow a ring from my mum for the day just for that reason.
Then my husband, completely surprised me the week before our wedding by having gone out and bought me a ring so that I could have that little something already on my finger on our wedding day. It IS a diamond ring but wasn't hugely expensive one. However I probably treasure that ring more than anything else simply because of the thoughts behind it - and would still feel the same way even if the ring was simulated diamonds - it's the thought and the sentiment that counts, not the cost.

I so agree that it's the thought and the sentiment that counts. I was sixteen when I got engaged and my future husband was twenty - my small diamond chip ring cost just over £12 old pounds - we were married two years later. That was fifty six years ago. Over the years the band got very thin and eventually broke but we had it repaired and made smaller. I now wear it on the little finger and never take it off. We did get another ring to replace it but it doesn't mean the same. I have never taken off my wedding ring or the eternity ring I had for our first anniversary.................but the day is coming nearer when I will have to have them cut off due to my knuckles swelling because of arthritis.

Latest posts

Back