''Its very busy on the phones ''

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lilian

Registered Shopper
I now am very sceptical of this comment. I feel it is a hard sell comment to make us all panic buy. And I will tell you why.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching the Temptations hour. What I wanted to get they announced they had sold out & it was on waitlist. So I ordered online & It was definately on waitlist.

Imagine my surprise when I received a confirmation email about 20 minutes later that I had got it. I immediately rang QVC & was told that people have changed their minds after ordering. HOW ????. When I have tried to cancel by ringing in within 10 minutes or so of ordering ( sorry bit fickle at times ) this in the past I have been told that they can't change it as it goes through to the warehouse & will be dispatched.

Mmmmmmmm. Seriously makes me wonder.

it could be because people have put the item in their online baskets but not checked out in time or have dumped it. i do that if i'm umming and ahhing over something that's vulnerable; buys me thinking time.

Yes you have 30 minutes to check out an item in your online basket. Or it is automaticly dumped for you.

I actually think very little has sold out even on 4 easy pay.

I have def managed to get an order cancelled after ringing in a couple of hours later, so sometimes it is possible. Only happened last week as my Mum bought me something that I also bought myself from QVC, she called me shortly after the hour finished, by the time we finihsed chatting ( and we talk a lot) I finally called QVC and they cancelled it.

I just had to ring customer service about an order,and i was waiting 12 minutes before someone answered.So perhaps they are busy.

I think this cancellation business is a bit hit and miss. Before now I've been told an order placed half an hour previously is irrevocable and that an order placed twenty-four hours ago can be cancelled in the blink of an eye! Could be the CS rep, could be the product (location in warehouse, has someone had time to shlepp to get it if it's up the far end? :giggle:) As for the whole keeping things in your basket, I did a test recently (yes, I am that sad) and tracked a couple of sell-outs. Within half an hour they were magically back in stock. Think a lot of people hold them for 30 mins to give them some breathing space (as, indeed, do I, since I worked it out! :nod:)

I think some items are despatched from different locations, maybe that makes a difference for cancellations. There have been times I have ordered a TSV at midnight on Sat night/Sunday morning and received the item on the Monday. Maybe for busy TSV items they have them already in situ at various locations in the UK. Just a thought

I think some items e.g. jewellery are depatched direct from the manufacturer and perhaps it's not possible to cancel them ?

I also wonder if they are persuading us to switch to QCut so that they can reduce the number of CS staff manning the actual phones up in Liverpool ?

It's QVC's own fault for briefly showing products and not demonstrating them right away. In the past, before the website basket, I've panicked and bought things, even without knowing what they are. The basket feature is useful for that, but they should just demonstrate things and not do the old "we might not get to show this..." Just show it on the spot if it's selling out. I'm sure it would reduce returns too. If I miss something I want, I always give 45-60 minutes and try ordering on QCut. I often end up getting what I want then.

I'm pretty sure they've reduced their out-of-hours call centre staff too - if you ring late at night, chances are you'll have to listen to hold music for a moment before you get answered. That never used to happen.

I am always putting things into my basket on line and then watching the whole of the demo to see if I really want it - just to make sure it doesnt sell out. Usually by the end I have decided that I don't really want it and dump it.

It is always worth checking several times online etc if you want something that sells out as things will keep saying sold out, then back in stock, especially on a popular item. On the breast cancer care night things will be in and out all night and even the next day you can pick up some items which people have 'dumped'.

It's QVC's own fault for briefly showing products and not demonstrating them right away. In the past, before the website basket, I've panicked and bought things, even without knowing what they are. The basket feature is useful for that, but they should just demonstrate things and not do the old "we might not get to show this..." Just show it on the spot if it's selling out. I'm sure it would reduce returns too. If I miss something I want, I always give 45-60 minutes and try ordering on QCut. I often end up getting what I want then.

I'm pretty sure they've reduced their out-of-hours call centre staff too - if you ring late at night, chances are you'll have to listen to hold music for a moment before you get answered. That never used to happen.

Totally agree, Moth. The amount of returns I've had because items haven't been displayed properly are too many to mention. I've stopped doing this now as there is very little that excites me from their current stock. I did send back a load of Lola Rose that was only briefly presented and I've vowed never to order in haste again. I have been putting things on cheque hold and can order these quite easily or just leave to be cancelled by QVC...I've saved a lot of money doing this. I may end up on their naughty list and save even more when I'm lose my account :sun:.

Thats a good idea, holding something in your 'basket' and also checking a bit later on to see if its really sold out. A bit naughty but a good idea.

Thats a good idea, holding something in your 'basket' and also checking a bit later on to see if its really sold out. A bit naughty but a good idea.

If you release something that has sold out and someone who thought they had missed the item gets it they will probably be happier than if it had been in stock when they first tried to order. Anyway QVC want to minimise returns so giving yourself a few minutes' thinking time is good for both you and them.

they are always going to say its busy on the phones so that those people who are tempted to get something but not 100% sure might impulse buy on the fear they might miss out... its always going to happen - its good marketing - but it does seem to be being said more and more on QVC.

I think the main culprits for this is Ideal World, who also insist on telling viewers how much stock has been sold on a far too frequent basis

Latest posts

Back