Its funny this

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pinkearplugs

Guest Shopper
We all have a TV and we all watch QVC but we reflect the difference in society on here regarding how much spare cash we have.
To some, a bottle of hand wash costing £16 is peanuts and is needed and to others £16 equals 2 or 3 days worth of food on the table.

Thats the beauty of the internet. It shows people from all walks of life how different we all are and how we live.

i take your point but i think that it is a little mean to take issue with how another member chooses to spend their budget. sure it is handwash but this forum is great for getting a second opinion on a range or a product that you are curious about - or just to talk about to hear other people's opinions. it is a bit off to criticise someone for generating a thread about a topic that is of genuine interest to them.

it is true it may seem extravagent to some to spend on so many of the ranges - or indeed to shop at qvc regularly at all - but this could be down to a lot of different things, and the implication that anyone who would spend this much on a handwash is excessively over-spending is unfair.

maybe there are a few well-off people, maybe there are a few who over-spend, maybe there are some that are led by the sales pitch and maybe some of us simply prioritise spending on different products differently.

i am not having a go, and i was hesitant to put a reply to this as i was not sure if it was meant in a light-hearted way, but i did not read it that way...if it was meant to be - i apologise.

the point i am trying to make is that i do not want to think that asking for opinions will lead to me being judged badly and so for my part i would not want to make others feel that way either...

More fool them for being sucked in . Each to their own but to some, that's a very expensive trip to the loo and soap is soap .
:11:

I am just saying what i think and its an observation, nothing sinister or untoward. Just an observation on how different we all are.

More fool them for being sucked in . Each to their own but to some, that's a very expensive trip to the loo and soap is soap .
:11:

true but the same can be said of almost anything...from the sheets you sleep in to the postcode you choose to live in don't you think?

I didn't want anyone to feel bad.
I find it so easy to be sucked in by hype and go along with the 'spiel' and feel that what I'm paying for is worth it. The you get it home and take a step back and regret over spending.

At work I have to clean my hands many many times a day just in case I get infected. I make sure I have a moisturiser in my locker so my hands don't dry out. It's a simple moisturiser from M&S (£1) and it works fantastically.
In todays financial climate I know what it's like to feel you have to over spend to get results, but you don't, you really don't.
Some things (IMO Cleanse and Polish is the best cleanser I've ever found) are worth it, but other things like simple soap are just massively over priced.

I hope people understand what I mean.

i use a hand soap for several reasons.....1st one is that ordinary soap dries my hands up & i havent used it on my face for years..i got sucked in to buying the qvc l;occitane ones......loved them.......then ali young said that anne dawson only puts hers out for when she has guests.....well that opened my eyes......i now use a nice dispenser & pop in SBC bath soak......everyone comments on how nice my 'soap' is......i just smile knowing i have not blown my own personal budget on 4 times the price & just as nice....each to his /her own.....what someone may think is cheap as chips for something someone else may think ever so much money & spend theor own money on what you or me may think a waste of hard earned cash......

I have to say that having sworn by L'Occitane (since before it was on QVC) and Molton Brown liquid soap (or Liquid hand cleanser as AY would probably say), I just couldn't afford to keep using it any longer. I really don't like bar soap for a multitude of reasons including that I find it messy, unhygenic and drying - but since starting to 'shop around' I have found that the Champneys range from Sainsburys is excellent (as long as you like the rose fragrance - we do, it's slightly like REN), not cheap at £6 a bottle but it does last longer than many of the cheaper brands - and there are often 25% off deals in Sainsburys - but found an even better bargain at good old M & S - they have some great handwashes for £1 (we have tried coconut and aloe vera so far, very moisturising) with matching pump bottles of hand and body moisturisers also for an amazing £1 - recently they had a 3 for 2 promotion so I really stocked up - however I became so carried away at the thought of a bargain that I forgot how far I would have to walk with my bottles and ended up iwth aching arms - the consolation being that we have months' worth of the stuff at a bargain basement price - without compromising on quality - however, that having been said, I say good luck to anyone who can afford to by the 'premium' brands - why not? We all have our choices and if anyone suggested I should buy 'economy' nail polish I would be mortified! Each to their own!

Each person has their own idea of luxury or a treat. Look at all the ads for online bingo on TV, totally bombarded by them. Many enjoy playing and waste money on that, its their choice its their money. A bottle of handwash could be someone's luxury treat for themselves, its their choice.

I love the Ecosoapia organic, no SLS, and last me forever. I use L'Occitane bar soap as well, great for shaving with legs underarms etc. As I live alone these last for a very long time.

I do find it amusing how so many have been sucked in by the antibac handwashes. Great then you touch something, a door handle your clothes infact anything and whats the point.
But if someone swears by it, well that is their choice.

We are all adults here we make our own decisions on what we buy. If you don't like it don't point it out let that person do what they want with their money. Ibuy what I want with my money, handwash, makeup etc. If you don't like it then to be honest I don't give a rat's ass for your opinion. Its none of your business.

this is really funny this is......

i only use l'occitane literally for all the family and i live on a state pension so thats really funny. to be honest its my only real luxury in life and even though we sometimes rubbish qvc, because of the tsvs we can afford to buy premium brands. i could never ever buy l'occitane from their shops. it would be a once a year purchase and i would not be able to use it daily. now i can. and it makes me really happy. one l'occitane handwash lasts us nearly a year and when you get them in the tsv they only cost you a few pounds any way. sometimes its not just about being rich you sometimes find a little money to give you the extras that make you happy. you could say holidays are a waste of money and christmas is humbug but sometimes its the small things in life that make us a little happier.

For me it's what's in the bottle that counts. It's no good buying cheap or expensive if you know what's in it irritates your skin or is a questionable ingredient.

Once you know what suits you, you have the whole of the Internet to shop around on and find something in the price bracket you are prepared to pay.

I have found that when I got older I realised there is more to life than spending
umpteen pounds on soap when there are so many things you can spend your money on. Life is short so make the most of it and if you get pleasure from expensive soap then why not but personally I would rather spend the money on something else something I will never forget like a trip on a helicopter or my next thing to do is a glider flight over the Island where I live. Each to their own I say.

No-one should ever have to feel the need to justify what they spend on whatever it is they are buying. People work hard for their money and should enjoy it however they want, whether through holidays, cars or flippin handwashes. Its no-ones business but theirs!

This is a pointless thread!!!

No-one should ever have to feel the need to justify what they spend on whatever it is they are buying. People work hard for their money and should enjoy it however they want, whether through holidays, cars or flippin handwashes. Its no-ones business but theirs!

Excellent post.....totally agree.

Absolutely

Welcome to this wonderful thing called life. Some people can afford to spend money on expensive things, some choose to spend their small amount of 'luxury' money on these things and some can't afford them so try to find cheaper but still nice alternatives.

Nobody should feel bad no matter which of those groups they fall into :1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back