Items donated by a QVC presenter to a certain auction site to raise money for charity

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Laura L'occitane Earle

Registered Shopper
I was trawling a well known auction site for a certain Laura Geller palette when I saw one that had been "donated by QVC presenter Debbie Flint" - all proceeds to a Medical Dogs charity. When I checked the sellers other items, there were approximately 20 other QVC items that had been donated by DF, including Decleor and a pair of Clark's sandals in size 6E. I won't mention the seller on here but if you search for "donated by QVC presenter", the items come up. You may not be interested of course!

I have seen this person posting on FB that she had been given items by DF. A lot of the items are not new!

So, what do we think? Have the brands donated these specifically for sale, or were they items given to Debbie that she has then decided to sell on?

I have seen many items on that auction website which are being sold for charity. Every single item has been donated anonymously. Who wants everyone to know that they are the charitable giver?

Or does DF think the doggies will get more money if some besotted fan can literally stand in her shoes and absorb the DNA from her feet in the 6E sandals?

Maybe she thinks that the very mention of her name will add £££s to the price of used make-up? Personally, I can just about resist the temptation to bid.

Well knowing DF and charities don't mix, I'd be inclined to think these are all freebies given to her that out the "goodness of her heart" has decided to clear her new house of clutter, if it never went in the table top sale it goes to charity.

But if it works what the hell?! It wouldn't make me more inclined to buy, or less if I really I wanted it. And selling secondhand goods for charity isn't odd. Isn't it what charity shops are for?

Whatever the motivation raising money for charity is a good thing end of.

I was trawling a well known auction site for a certain Laura Geller palette when I saw one that had been "donated by QVC presenter Debbie Flint" - all proceeds to a Medical Dogs charity. When I checked the sellers other items, there were approximately 20 other QVC items that had been donated by DF, including Decleor and a pair of Clark's sandals in size 6E. I won't mention the seller on here but if you search for "donated by QVC presenter", the items come up. You may not be interested of course!

Raising money for her charity, by donating her own products, is a generous act. If mentioning her name, aids the cause, why not? Well done, Debs,

Raising money for charity is good. Self-promotion at any available opportunity??

Why is there a need to put "donated by a QVC presenter" after the item anyway? Charitable deeds should not have self promotion attached to it.

My local hospice shop get shedloads of 'stuff' from me on a regular basis; I donate monthly to the Retired Greyhound Trust and keep one in luxury at one of their centres - now, should I say "donated by someone who................

Was once interviewed by Barbara Cartland for a job
Mingled with the Rolling Stones backstage in 1964
Had my picture taken with Anthony Newley
Went to Ken Folletts 50th birthday party
Is the proud owner of Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers signatures !!!!

Brissles now I'm impressed! You're absolutely right right, if her charitable donation needs her name attached then it's not really charitable.

Yes, to the person who's getting free publicity as much as the charity who's benefiting from it.

I always get the feeling there`s an ulterior motive in anything DF does. Call me cynical but there never seems to be anything genuine about the woman. All roads lead to self promotion in her eyes.
Whether it be having a sniffer dog named after her ( Flinty ) to flogging her books on QVC and everything else inbetween, you can always guarantee there`s summat in it for Debs.
When I worked at the homeless hostel we had a very famous boxer lived in the same town and one year he roared up to the centre in his Fantastically expensive car, strutted into the building as if he owned it and demanded to see the Manager. It was a few weeks before Christmas and he said he wanted to donate money to buy each resident a gift and to tell them it was from him. The Manager refused, he said he`d happily accept the donation but seeing as everything else had been donated from local people and businesses, he couldn`t single out one donation from another. Guess what, the boxer retracted his offer and walked away, and everytime since then when I`ve seen him on the telly being interviewed or in a fight, I call him an arrogant self centred b*stard. In fact put me in a ring with him and given half a chance I could cheerfully punch his lights out.

Quite. Even 'stars/celebs' who "offer" their services for free for the benefit of charity rarely do so. I remember a story years ago about Terry Scott (Terry & June) who maintained he was at a charity event for nothing, yet he was later photographed taking a wad of notes and putting them in his pocket with the suggestion that the 'tax' people wouldn't know about it ! Cash in hand is clearly not a domain of the lowly paid it seems.

Debbie takes a larger shoe size than a 6, she often mentions her Hobbit feet, and the clothes that are a size 8 or 10 probably weren't bought or given to her to wear. Most charities attract celebs to boost their profile, it wouldn't stop me donating if a patron is I celeb* I don't care for. It's bound to direct more viewers to the listings so I have no problem with the donor being mentioned.

I get that people on here don't like Debbie but I'm happy that she's supporting a good cause.

*using the word celeb as short-hand for anyone in the public eye - I'm not starting a discussion on what constitutes a celebrity per se.

Like most charities we relied heavily on donations around Christmas time. Our funding covered basic meals and room but there was nothing in the pot to make Christmas extra special. I was proud of my boss for refusing the offer and being a Christian charity he saw the £1000 offer from the boxer as being no more charitable than the number of Mr and Mrs Normals who came in off the street donating boxes of crackers or tins of biscuits or the Primary school who collected bars of soap and other toiletries so we could give each man a comfort pack or the local supermarket who emptied their shelves last minute Christmas Eve and donated turkeys, joints of meat or Argos who dropped off half a dozen Christmas tree or the Round Table and Rotary club who donated brand new gloves, socks, scarves for us to wrap and so on and so on and not one of them asked for recognition or to be named, only the boxer did that and his offer wasn`t a charitable act, it was an act of self promotion.

Latest posts

Back